9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2015 8:33 AM by A.T. Romano

"The project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened."

bartohum

This worst-case nightmare scenario has just happened to me. Was working happily until program crashed, upon restart file is now corrupted. Did not add any new / strange file types before crashing.

I am working on Windows. There are lots of discussions online about possible recovery methods (they REALLY should get this fixed / make an official workaround) but nothing specifically for Windows, Premiere Elements 12 (and nothing that I tried so far works).

Please advise I have been working very hard on this project and it will break my heart to lose it all!

Thanks

H

• 1. Re: "The project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened."
          A.T. Romano Level 7

bartohum

Do not give up.

Premiere Elements 12 on what Windows operating system?

Do you recall if you were running the project with the AutoSave feature on? If the feature was on while you were working on your project and depending on how it was set, you may will be able to recover your project as an "AutoSave".

The Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder is the place where these AutoSave are saved after being generated automatically by the project.

By default, that folder is found in Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/and in your case 12.0. Open the Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder and try to find and open the latest one that the project generated. Open one of the AutoSaves by right clicking it, selecting Open With, and then Adobe Premiere Elements 12.

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Saving and backing up projects

If this saves the work and you continue in the project, at some time or another, we need to try to determine why the project crashed in the first place. Right now our goal is to recover as much of the project that was in the works before the crash.

Any questions or need clarification on the above, please ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: "The project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened."
            A.T. Romano Level 7

bartohum

Add On to Post 1....

Just in case you get back to your thread before I do....

What was the last action that you took in the project before it crashed?

And, at that time, how large was the project?

Please detail how you tried to open the crashed project.

More questions to follow depending on the details in your reply. AutoSave try first and then onward if that does not resolve the immediate issue.

ATR

• 3. Re: "The project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened."
              bartohum Level 1

Hi ATR

I'm sure you won't remember but you saved my *** before, thanks again for the help!

Yes, I found a file in my autosave (which is great, so all is not lost) but it was 3 hours old which kinda sucks and I got a lot of good work done during that time.

The project was very large and complex so it makes sense that it crashes once in a while. My comp is 32gb Windows 7 so it's pretty strong but the files get so tricky with my 'guerrilla' style of movie making, so I'm prepared to accept the occasional crash. What set it off I can't say; I was simply extracting clips from a file already well in use at the time of crashing. So I am fairly certain I did not add any weird file types or trying anything new in the last 30 mins or so before the crash.

What do you think?

H

• 4. Re: "The project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened."
                bartohum Level 1

Also, I have XML Wrench but no clue how to use it! Any guidance there?

Thanks

H

• 5. Re: "The project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened."
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

bartohum

Thanks for the update.

Did you check all the AutoSave files? Since there is a continuing process of adding to and removing the oldest ones going on automatically, sometimes it becomes difficult to figure out which is the latest unless you check them all. I am hoping by some chain of circumstances that you find a later AutoSave than the one you have.

If you do explore new setting for AutoSave, right now what is the typical time pattern for the crashes...every 30 minutes, every 3 hours, other? How long can you work in a program (from the time it is opened) before the crash?

In Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoSave, you can set AutoSave to save more frequently. You can do manual Saves from time to time.

If applicable to your workflow and project goals, you could consider working with several smaller projects and then combining the export of each into the final project for the targeted end product. We could talk about settings for each and keeping the workflow details consistent from project to project to final project.

Just make sure that you are not moving, deleting, renaming files and folders that went into the project after the project is saved closed. Reopening such a project can be a nightmare in project-media reconnects.

Please consider, and then we will figure out a way to escape these crashes and their consequences.

ATR

• 6. Re: "The project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened."
                    bartohum Level 1

Thanks ATR I will bear that in mind. Often I do break down sequences into individual project files, I guess the more complex the project the more separate files it should be made with.

I will also update AutoSave to work more frequently.

Unfortunately I did check and for some reason the AutoSave was the latest version. It's weird because I noticed it normally saves more frequently (every 15 mins the last 5 files) but then today it stopped at around 1400 for no apparent reason and I later crashed at 1800. Oh well, just my luck I suppose!

It's OK. I will get back on the horse tomorrow and pickup from the 1400 AutoSave, no doubt, ultimately, infuriatingly, making something better than the original

See you around ATR keep the good work up!

H

• 7. Re: "The project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened."
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

bartohum

Thanks for the update.

Sorry about the AutoSave. Just hoping there was a later one, but...

You mentioned XML...that is just an informational file which is not going to help you in this regard.

You scared me with "1400 AutoSave". Each of those AutoSaves is a capture of the project at a particular time, the latest one typically being the most important. Did you jest with 1400?

Whatever the case, just let me know if we need to share troubleshooting information. We will look forward if and when necessary to be of assistance.

Best wishes

ATR

• 8. Re: "The project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened."
                        bartohum Level 1

Hmm... no I wasn't jesting, sorry if I didn't explain myself well; I mean that at 1400 (2 o'clock in the afternoon) it stopped autosaving every 15 mins... which SUCKS as if it had worked like normal (the previous 4 autosaves all worked fine, taking us back to 12:45 mid day) then I would have only lost 15 mins of work

Oh well. Computers, eh?

Am making your recommended changes to program and workflow now...

H

• 9. Re: "The project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened."
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

bartohum

Thanks.

Please update us on your progress as your schedule permits. But, any questions as you explore workflow changes, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes.

ATR