3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2015 5:48 PM by A.T. Romano

No audio in MOV files imported into PE 4

jbcooke

I have transferred to my computer (PC running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit) a video project shot by a friend who is a professional filmmaker. He converted his original MXF video files to *.mov files using Acrok MXF Converter. The conversion split  the original video into 29 *.mov files that are all just under 1 GB each. When I click on any of these files in my computer, the file opens and plays in Windows Media Player. Great video and audio. No problem. However, when I import these files into Premiere Elements 4 (Get Media > Files and Folders, etc.) and put them into the Timeline, there is no audio track.

If I click on the Properties of any of the files listed in the Project field of PE4, the Properties list says there IS an audio track:

> Audio track 1 contains 1 type(s) of audio data

> Audio datablock #1

> Format = 16 bit - Stereo

> Rate - 1.0000 Hz (This is the one thing that looks a bit odd. Should be 48,000 Hz or 44,100 Hz)

> Compressor = MPEG 4 Low Complexity AAC

Suggestions?

• 1. Re: No audio in MOV files imported into PE 4
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jbcooke

There are two possibilities, both related to the conversion of the original MXF file.

1. Premiere Elements 4 cannot interpret the file correctly.

and/or

2. The project cannot conform that audio to the audio properties of the project preset.

(What is the project preset? Do see a conforming audio process going on when you import the file into the project? If so, do you wait for completion before doing anything else in the project?)

First we need to confirm that Sample Rate of 1.0000 Hz. Please put your sample through the free video audio properties readout program and tell us the video audio properties that are shown for that sample. MediaInfo download | SourceForge.net

Be careful in your choices downloading and installing MediaInfo since it known to travel with unwanted baggage.

What is the video compression used in these files that have the .mov file extension. AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264)? Premiere Elements did not support AVCHD until Premiere Elements 7.

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer?

Lots to explore. Let us start by confirming that Sample Rate of 1.0000 Hz.

We will be watching for the details in your reply.

ATR

• 2. Re: No audio in MOV files imported into PE 4
            jbcooke Level 1

The answer is probably

1. Premiere Elements 4 cannot interpret the file correctly

In the meanwhile I learned that my filmmaker friend inadvertently gave me files with 5.1 surround sound. Evidently Windows Media Player can recognize and play this audio, but PE 4 cannot.

He reconverted a test file, which I have downloaded and tested in the PE project. The audio track appears and plays.

Thanks for the help.

PROBLEM SOLVED

• 3. Re: No audio in MOV files imported into PE 4
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jbcooke

Thanks for the update and glad that the new video sending from your source worked for you. But, although you report  "Problem Solved", I suspect that do not have the right reason.

Did you ever confirm the Sample Rate of the original sending a 1.0000 Hz?

When you imported the file from the original sending into your Premiere Elements 4 project, what was the situation

1. You heard the sound, but did not see its representation on Audio 1.

or

2. You did not see the audio portion of the file on Audio 1 and you did not hear sound from the file?

There is more to this than the following pointing to audio called 5.1 channel....as you wrote

Evidently Windows Media Player can recognize and play this audio, but PE 4 cannot.

Given Premiere Elements 4 is an older version which does not have project presets described with 5.1 channel sound. For that matter, there is no category for AVCHD video since that was not supported until version 7. However, I can import a 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 video which comes with 5.1 channel sound into Premiere Elements 4 without issue. This file has WMV3 compression, WMA audio 5.1 channels, file extension .wmv. But here is the problem at first glance. You can hear the audio, but you do not see the audio representation on Audio 1. That is because of the way that 4, and even 7, handled 5.1 channel sound. If you do not use a project preset described for 5.1 channel, the video will go to Video 1, but the audio will go to an upper audio track (in my case Audio 6).

I am glad that you received a sample with properties that worked for you, but to avoid this type of problem moving forward it might be a good idea to go deeper into the properties of your video, especially in relation to the support matters raised by using an earlier version 4.

Please let us know if you need any clarification on the above.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR