17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2015 6:44 AM by trshaner

Any tips for organizing collections?

felixb54211965

I am importing my photos from Aperture library and I have approximately 40,000 photos to bring in.

My library in Aperture is not well organized so I have decided to export photos out of Aperture as full size jpegs using smart albums in Aperture by year.  The aperture import plugin I cannot get to work anyway and I'm done troubleshooting it.

I am basically importing photos to Lr into folders by year/month and having all those 'master' files in one location. I then set up collections by year and Sub-collections by event.  (That location is in my Dropbox folder so everything is automatically getting backed up right there and my Lr collection is also in my Dropbox. I also have Dropbox packrat feature so I can restore in case of an accidental deletion).

Most of the photos I am importing are family photos, ie. non-professional and mostly mediocre but I have star rated the really good ones in aperture so I am planning on possibly importing those (using smart albums) as a higher quality import than jpeg.

1. Is it worth me exporting photos as anything other than max quality jpeg if they are non-professional photos?
      2. Does anyone have any tips regarding doing this kind of large scale transfer to a new library like this?
      3. Does anyone have any tips regarding organizing photos within Lightroom? I am trying to use keywords and smart folders too.

Best regards

Felix

• 1. Re: Any tips for organizing collections?
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

You are a step ahead of most people by the fact that you are giving this some thought.

I tend to organize my photos on disk by event;  category, subcategory, date_event_name. For example,

/sports/volleyball/20150704_AVA/

/travel/Ireland/20130600/date/

Internal to LR, I use collection-sets and collections to group things within the events. I do some keywords to find things that might span multiple events, like team names.

• 2. Re: Any tips for organizing collections?
            dj_paige Level 9

Yes, I think you want the highest quality images you can get in this process. Even if they are non-professional photos.

I would use keywords instead of collections, I like these better for the following reason: keywords can travel with the photos outside of Lightroom — when you export the photos out of Lightroom, the keywords are embedded in the exported file; whereas if you use Collections, this information cannot be written into the exported file. In fact, for this reason, I use collections very sparingly, almost all of my organizing is done with keywords.

The idea of creating a collection (or keyword) for year (or year/month or year/month/date) seems like a total waste of time to me. The instant your photos are imported into Lightroom, you can search for photos in a specific year (or year/month or year/month/date) by using the Filter Bar. Creating collections for this purpose is extra work that provides no additional benefit.

• 3. Re: Any tips for organizing collections?
              felixb54211965 Level 1

Thanks very much ManiacJoe!

That's a really helpful tip and thanks for the compliment too!

much appreciated.

F    

• 4. Re: Any tips for organizing collections?
                felixb54211965 Level 1

Thx dj_paige

Very much appreciate that. I won't be wasting anymore time organizing by year then. I am all about future proofing so that is right up my alley.

Keywords and smart collections it is!

F    

• 5. Re: Any tips for organizing collections?
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

When you say organize by year do you mean on your drive in folders by year? If you do you can still do that and still use LR Keywords and collections, and or Smart Collections, for further organization.

• 6. Re: Any tips for organizing collections?
                    felixb54211965 Level 1

What format do you recommend I export out of Aperture?

Tiff -8 bit

Tiff 16-bit

PSD 8 bit

PSD 16 bit

JPEG?

• 7. Re: Any tips for organizing collections?
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

felixb54211965 wrote:

Most of the photos I am importing are family photos, ie. non-professional and mostly mediocre but I have star rated the really good ones in aperture so I am planning on possibly importing those (using smart albums) as a higher quality import than jpeg.

1. Is it worth me exporting photos as anything other than max quality jpeg if they are non-professional photos?

I don't know how Aperture's JPEG Quality settings (0-12) correlate to PS's, but I'd guess they are very similar. This should give you a better idea of what to expect at different Quality settings:

Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » An Analysis of Lightroom JPEG Export Quality Settings

The conclusion was that a LR Quality setting of 70-76 provides as good results as 100. The 70-76 setting correlates to a PS 9 setting and probably the same in Aperture. Based on this I'd go with an Aperture JPEG Quality setting of 10 to be safe and use Adobe RGB 1998 color profile. There's little to be gained "visibly" by using a higher setting with a non-destructive workflow when using raw format original files. For JPEG original files I would use the highest JPEG Quality setting 12 to minimize compression artifact buildup.

felixb54211965 wrote:

1. Does anyone have any tips regarding organizing photos within Lightroom? I am trying to use keywords and smart folders too.

I can highly recommend this book by Peter Krogh on the subject:

Organizing Your Photos with Lightroom 5 - The DAM Book

The one thing that troubles me with your import process is that is that their is no mention of archiving and making sure you can locate the original files if you want to "start over" with specific images. When exporting from Apertue to JPEG, TIFF or PSD the Develop settings are applied to the image data, which results in a loss of dynamic range, color gamut, and ability to change the original sharpening and noise reduction. I would establish some way of locating the original image files so they can later be found and imported into LR.    

• 8. Re: Any tips for organizing collections?
                        felixb54211965 Level 1

This is really great info everyone. I am so grateful.

I am now going to modify my export process considerably. I think I will keep in raw format wherever possible and I look forward to checking out those books.

Much appreciated.

Felix

• 9. Re: Any tips for organizing collections?
                          dj_paige Level 9

Let me second the recommendations by trshaner regarding the article by Jeffrey Friedl and also for The DAM Book. It's too bad every Lightroom user doesn't read these.

• 10. Re: Any tips for organizing collections?

Ideally you are looking for 16-bit with lossless compression. This would be either TIF or PSD depending on the TIF options from Aperture.

• 11. Re: Any tips for organizing collections?

Not do sure how "ideal" that would be since a 16 bit TIFF or PSD is going to considerably inflate the required disk space.  A typical raw file when converted to 16 bit TIFF will be 3X larger even when using loss-less ZIP compression and a typical JPEG file will be 7X larger or more. With 40,000 image files the OP will most likely need to add another hard drive if using 16 bit TIFF output from Aperture.

The "ideal" solution is to use the Aperture plugin to import the original files with keywords, ratings, etc. The OP can export JPEG copies as previously advised from Aperture to the same original folders to also import "copies" with Aperture's Develop settings applied into LR. This will increase the required disk storage space by less than 2X.

Moving All Your Images From Aperture Is Now Built Right In To Lightroom - Lightroom Killer Tips

http://photofocus.com/2014/12/15/the-essential-guide-to-moving-an-aperture-library-to-adob e-lightroom/

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/ready-move-aperture-iphoto/

• 12. Re: Any tips for organizing collections?

Very true. The best option would be to import the original files. The way I read it, this did not seem to be an available option.

• 13. Re: Any tips for organizing collections?

At the below link it describes what the Aperture plugin imports, which includes your original files. You can even choose to create and import full-size or half-size previews with your Aperture Develop edits applied. Sounds like a winner to me, but the OP says he has given up on trying to use it due to problems. Perhaps breaking down the 40,000 files into smaller batches would help...I don't know.

http://photofocus.com/2014/12/15/the-essential-guide-to-moving-an-aperture-library-to-adob e-lightroom/

• 14. Re: Any tips for organizing collections?
                                    felixb54211965 Level 1

Thanks very much I have been using that article, it's very helpful     .

After having done some tests, my current thinking is that I will export jpegs out of Aperture but for RAW files I will not export them from Aperture but rather import them to Lr directly from the Finder. For the majority of my RAW files in Aperture I have not made many changes so this should be fine.

For the jpegs however, as long as I select full quality when exporting out of Aperture, am I correct in assuming there will be no quality loss as compared with the 'Master' jpeg in the Finder? The main reason for me doing this is that if I were to import jpegs to Lr directly from the Finder, the image rotation of photos taken on my iPhone is lost. For some reason, Lr does not apply the rotation the way Aperture does.    

Thx so much for all of your help.

Felix

• 15. Re: Any tips for organizing collections?
                                      Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You can't use Finder to import to LR. Also if you used Aperture to save/copy/store your RAW files Aperture could of placed them deep in a Package file (Folder) and if that is the case I suggest you get them out of that Package file and store them in a regular folder that you create someplace on your Macintosh HD.

• 16. Re: Any tips for organizing collections?

felixb54211965 wrote:

For the jpegs however, as long as I select full quality when exporting out of Aperture, am I correct in assuming there will be no quality loss as compared with the 'Master' jpeg in the Finder?

Please see my reply #7 above. Raw files use loss-less compression so using the maximum Quality setting (12) is not necessary and will greatly increase the JPEG file size. A setting of 10 should provide very good rendering and is similar to your camera's high quality JPEG setting. For original JPEG files that you have edited in Aperture you should use the maximum Quality setting (12) for exporting. They are already in a lossy compressed format and this will help prevent visible compression artifacts in the rendered JPEG file.

• 17. Re: Any tips for organizing collections?

Shootistbond007 wrote:

You can't use Finder to import to LR. Also if you used Aperture to save/copy/store your RAW files Aperture could of placed them deep in a Package file (Folder) and if that is the case I suggest you get them out of that Package file and store them in a regular folder that you create someplace on your Macintosh HD.

So how do you get them out of the package file structure and into a folder structure Finder can see? Yet another reason to try and get the Aperture plugin working with LR!

Whatever physical structure you use make sure the original files and exported rendered JPEGs reside in the same folder/subfolder. Lacking that it's going to be very difficult to "associate" the two when looking at your files in LR.