4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2009 1:12 PM by Newsgroup_User

Simple Thumbnail Creation

Doug Fejer Level 1
      I have been trying to learn how to use Dreamweaver for no other reason than it was included in CS4. (I use photoshop and acrobat.)

I am looking for a very, very simple way to bring in a full size image into a webpage and create a thumbnail. When the thumbnail is hit the full size image will appear on the screen.

In Frontpage, which I have been using for years and years, I simply load the image into my file and then hit "Control-T." This immediately creates the thumnail which contains a link to the full size photo. When the html file is saved Frontpage creates new files with "-small" added to them for the thumbnails.

Also, before I make the html page I load all of the images into the directory of the html file.

Here is an example.

http://www.douglasfejer.com/2009/UTD/Basketball/2009-02-12b/01/index.html

I want to simply be able to make this file in Dreamweaver. I cannot believe it is that complicated, but it apparently is.

Also, I want to do it one image at a time. I am not interested in creating a photo gallery.

Could somebody simply show me how to do it for one image?

Many thanks.

Doug Fejer
        • 1. Re: Simple Thumbnail Creation
          Level 7
          > I am looking for a very, very simple way to bring in a full size image
          > into a
          > webpage and create a thumbnail.
          Create the thumbnail in Photoshop. Save as a JPG or PNG. Copy or move to
          your images folder in the site root.

> In Frontpage, which I have been using for years and years, I simply load
          > the
          > image into my file and then hit "Control-T." This immediately creates the
          > thumnail which contains a link to the full size photo. When the html file
          > is
          > saved Frontpage creates new files with "-small" added to them for the
          > thumbnails.

No such capability in DW which is a professional-level webpage code
          generator (HTML, CSS, PHP, etc.) not a drag & drop, WYSIWYG, do everything
          webpage generator. No need to list the many shortcomings of FP from a
          professional perspective, FP failed, 'nuff said.

As you will read in about 25% of the posts, to use DW effectively you need
          at least a good understanding of HTML/CSS. Not so with FP and that's the
          challenge to most people moving from FP to DW.

That's a fact.

--

Walt

"Doug Fejer" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gneq3h$m0k$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have been trying to learn how to use Dreamweaver for no other reason than
          >it
          > was included in CS4. (I use photoshop and acrobat.)
          >
          > I am looking for a very, very simple way to bring in a full size image
          > into a
          > webpage and create a thumbnail. When the thumbnail is hit the full size
          > image
          > will appear on the screen.
          >
          > In Frontpage, which I have been using for years and years, I simply load
          > the
          > image into my file and then hit "Control-T." This immediately creates the
          > thumnail which contains a link to the full size photo. When the html file
          > is
          > saved Frontpage creates new files with "-small" added to them for the
          > thumbnails.
          >
          > Also, before I make the html page I load all of the images into the
          > directory
          > of the html file.
          >
          > Here is an example.
          >
          > http://www.douglasfejer.com/2009/UTD/Basketball/2009-02-12b/01/index.html
          >
          > I want to simply be able to make this file in Dreamweaver. I cannot
          > believe it
          > is that complicated, but it apparently is.
          >
          > Also, I want to do it one image at a time. I am not interested in creating
          > a
          > photo gallery.
          >
          > Could somebody simply show me how to do it for one image?
          >
          > Many thanks.
          >
          > Doug Fejer
          >

• 2. Re: Simple Thumbnail Creation
            I would like to know the answere too, since i always create two images, one a thumb which i keep in a thumbnail foled, and one a large image, i then use a simple image replacement roll over effect
            • 3. Re: Simple Thumbnail Creation
              Doug Fejer Level 1
              Walt,

I appreciate your reply. There is no better software than the one you know how to use.

While I have been using FrontPage for years I suspect I use no more than, say, 5 diffent features, if that many. I simply type text on a webpage and add photos. Very, very simple.

I probably have 200,000+ images on my website. I have little knowlege of the workings of my website, including linux, apache, the ftp program I use, etc.

Just for hobby, I thought I would learn how to use Dreamweaver since it came with CS4. No other reason. My initial thoughts are simply that Frontpage is infinitely more intuitive for a new user than Dreamweaver. For example, it took me a considerable amount of time to figure out how to change font size. It is very intuitive on Frontpage just as it is every other software program I have ever used. Dreamweaver is a battlefield.

Thanks again for your reply.

Regards,

Doug Fejer
              • 4. Re: Simple Thumbnail Creation
                Level 7
                >>There is no better software than the one you know how to use.

Although perhaps not a universal truth, that seems to clearly apply here. FP
                may be a dead product but you can still use it. Given your goals that's your
                best approach.

Good luck.
                --

Walt

"Doug Fejer" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:gnf0ep$7q$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Walt,
                >
                > I appreciate your reply. There is no better software than the one you know
                > how
                > to use.
                >
                > While I have been using FrontPage for years I suspect I use no more than,
                > say,
                > 5 diffent features, if that many. I simply type text on a webpage and add
                > photos. Very, very simple.
                >
                > I probably have 200,000+ images on my website. I have little knowlege of
                > the
                > workings of my website, including linux, apache, the ftp program I use,
                > etc.
                >
                > Just for hobby, I thought I would learn how to use Dreamweaver since it
                > came
                > with CS4. No other reason. My initial thoughts are simply that Frontpage
                > is
                > infinitely more intuitive for a new user than Dreamweaver. For example, it
                > took
                > me a considerable amount of time to figure out how to change font size. It
                > is
                > very intuitive on Frontpage just as it is every other software program I
                > have
                > ever used. Dreamweaver is a battlefield.
                >
                > Thanks again for your reply.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Doug Fejer
                >