7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2015 5:08 PM by darylb83487034

Movie clips will play but there is no sound using Adobe Photoshop Elements 14, the same clips with sound in Lightroom 6

darylb83487034

I am having trouble playing sound in movie clips that play just fine in Lightroom 6. These are high definition movies recorded on a Sony camera RX100 MKIII. The mute is not on and the sound slider is all the way to the right in Adobe Photoshop Elements 14.

• 1. Re: Movie clips will play but there is no sound using Adobe Photoshop Elements 14, the same clips with sound in Lightroom 6
          A.T. Romano Level 7

darylb

Photoshop Elements 14 Editor does not support video/audio. Are you trying to play your video/audio in the Elements Organizer 14 that comes with Photoshop Elements 14 purchase?

You have posted in the Premiere Elements Forum (video editing software). Do you have any version of Premiere Elements? Whatever the case, what computer operating system is involved? Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on this computer and are you running the programs from a user account with administrative privileges?

Your Sony RX100 MKIII offers multiple recording opportunities under Video Capture/Movie Resolution and Movie Format.

Sony RX100 III Review - Specifications

Which specific ones apply to the video that you are trying to play presumably in the Elements Organizer 14? what is your file's file extension?

Let us start here. Based on the details in your reply we can decide what next.

ATR

Add ON....I just found other link for your camera...it included samples. I will download them and take a look at them in Elements Organizer 14 and determine if they import into Premiere Elements 14. Sony RX100 Review - Video

While you were in Lightroom 6 did you do any particular adjustments to the video audio before transferring it to the Elements Organizer 14?

• 2. Re: Movie clips will play but there is no sound using Adobe Photoshop Elements 14, the same clips with sound in Lightroom 6
            A.T. Romano Level 7

darylb

Update.

I just download one of the samples supposed to be from the Sony RX100 MKIII.

1920 x 1080p60 - seems to be AVCHD.mts file

Appears to have AC-3 2channel audio. The file imports and plays well in my Elements Organizer 14 on Windows 7 64 bit.

After you supply more information on your issue, we could do some same sample comparison if you want to get a Google Drive shareable link for your video audio and post it in a thread reply. Google Drive has been a good choice for doing this. Some use Dropbox.

We will be watching for your reply in the morning morning.

Until then.

ATR

• 3. Re: Movie clips will play but there is no sound using Adobe Photoshop Elements 14, the same clips with sound in Lightroom 6
              darylb83487034 Level 1

Thank you for replying to my question. I am using the file format AVCHD on my Sony RX100 MKIII. My computer is a Mac with the latest system El Capitan 10.11. I tried to play my movie clips in Photoshop Elements 14 organizer, and they wouldn’t play. Today I tried to play them in Photoshop Elements Premiere 14 and they played, hurray. The movie files extension is .mts I have the latest version of quicktime which is 10.4

the question is do I have to return to the video editor to play movie clips? If I save them in the movie editor can I play them in the organizer?

• 4. Re: Movie clips will play but there is no sound using Adobe Photoshop Elements 14, the same clips with sound in Lightroom 6
                A.T. Romano Level 7

darylb

Thanks for the update. Great news that the video imported into the Premiere Elements 14 Editor.

When you import your video into the Premiere Elements Editor, besides the copy that you get in the Editor, a copy is automatically placed in the Elements Organizer. If you import first into Editor, does the copy in the Elements Organizer 14 then playback with audio and video?

What is the audio for the file - Dolby Digital Stereo 2 channel or something else? If you rename just the file extension of the AVCHD.mts to .mp4 before import into the Elements Organizer 14, do you still have the Elements Organizer 14 sound playback problem?

ATR

• 5. Re: Movie clips will play but there is no sound using Adobe Photoshop Elements 14, the same clips with sound in Lightroom 6
                  darylb83487034 Level 1

I exported to the desktop one of my movie clips that would not play in the Organizer, when that was done I noticed that the exported version had changed to mp4. I then imported this version to the Photoshop Elements 14 Organizer and it played normally with sound. Does this mean I have to export all my movie clips that don’t play to the desktop and then import them again? Why is it that Lightroom 6 does this automatically and plays normally when my movie clips are first imported from the camera card?

• 6. Re: Movie clips will play but there is no sound using Adobe Photoshop Elements 14, the same clips with sound in Lightroom 6
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

darylb

The perk may not have been the travel to the desktop, but instead the change in the file extension from .mts to .mp4.

Take export of the file out of the equation. Instead, before import into the Elements Organizer 14, rename just the file extension of the file at its hard drive save location. Then import this file extension renamed file into the Elements Organizer 14. Play or no play of the audio?

Another consideration may be that the perk was selecting export settings that converted the file on the Timeline to a file with different audio codec and properties as well as being wrapped with a .mp4 file extension.

What happened

When you import your video into the Premiere Elements Editor, besides the copy that you get in the Editor, a copy is automatically placed in the Elements Organizer. If you import first into Editor, does the copy in the Elements Organizer 14 then playback with audio and video?

At this time, the above are for troubleshooting purposes and not meant to be my suggestion for a permanent fix to what you are encountering. Please consider the above. I can help you to find the best possible solution for Premiere Elements and its Elements Organizer if there is one. But....details to piece this together.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Movie clips will play but there is no sound using Adobe Photoshop Elements 14, the same clips with sound in Lightroom 6
                      darylb83487034 Level 1

Here is the real question, Why do my mts videos play just fine in Lightroom 6 library module? Why do my videos play just fine in the free program “Photos” provided by Apple. I can’t imagine a company as Adobe can’t produce a program that will consistantly play high definition videos. I am not even discussing what will happen to 4K videos down the road. The work-arounds of renaming files is difficult, are there any other solutions? Will Adobe provide an update like they did with Elements 13? Thank you for trying to help