12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2015 4:08 AM by dj_paige

importing images into Lightroom 5

peccarypig

(Please excuse me if this question already came through..I am new to forums and not sure if previous entry was successful)

I have been dumping images into LR for years, and am just now realizing that I wish I had been more systematic. I would like to remove all indications of my images in LR, including all folder names, etc. that have somehow become part of it. Ideally, I would start with a "clean slate" and begin bringing images in correctly, with appropriate event names and supporting data. I understand that images don't actually "live" in LR, but there are many files, folders, etc. that show up, that have become attached to LR, when I open the program. Can anyone give me a step-by-step approach to backing everything out so I can begin again?

• 1. Re: importing images into Lightroom 5
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi peccarypig,

First lets start with the backup of you work which you have now.Backup the existing catalog and the related images that's all is required for now.

Open Lightroom<< Click on Edit<< Catalog Settings.

Select you backup choices. Once a week would be enough Or backup every day(depends how often you use Lightroom & your Profession )

Next time you exist Lightroom it will offer you a backup for your existing Catalog.

Backup catalog.PNG

Once you done with the backup, create a new catalog to start with clean slate (if you start with new catalog, you need to do your edits, Keywords and all the work you did in the previous catalog)

You can start the systematic Import in new catalog refer:

Lightroom 5 - Importing Your Images | Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

Import existing images | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC tutorials

let us know if it helps.

Regards,

~Mohit    

• 2. Re: importing images into Lightroom 5
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

No need to Back Anything Out.

What you need to do is come up with a FOLDER Structure (Folder on your hard drive where you Store your images) that meets your needs and desires.

I do that by placing images in a Top Level folder by years then the images get stored in Sub-Folder by the date they were taken. So my image storage drive has a folder called Pictures 2006, or 2007, or 2012 and so on. Then under those Year folders are Sub-Folder by Month and Day, 01-12, 11-03 and so on.

You can do it anyway you like. By Event, By Subject, Whatever way you like. and Move images into that New Folder Strucure.

Then once you have all that done simple Start a New Catalog, File>New Catalog. Once you start a new catalog it will be empty, IE No images. Then you go about importing your images from that new Folder Structure. Yes all those folder will show up in the left hand panel of the Library module. You can then make collections and or assign Keywords to separate or combine images anyway you like.

Once you have a new Catalog and all your images imported you can Delete the old catalog and the Previews folder for it which will free up disk space.

• 3. Re: importing images into Lightroom 5
              dj_paige Level 9

The alternative approach, that I highly recommend, is to leave the photos where they are, and put your effort into adding appropriate metadata such as keywords, captions, etc. This enables you to find your photos wherever they are (it doesn't matter what the folders structure is), because from this point on you search by keyword and other metadata. Furthermore, this gives you a much more powerful organization tool, because each photo can be described by many keywords and multiple pieces of information in the metadata, whereas if you use folders for your organization, a photo can be in at most one folder. Lastly, DO NOT re-arrange your photos into folders by capture date month year. If you must find a photo by a given date, your Filter Bar in Lightroom does this for you right now, without any re-arranging needed.

• 4. Re: importing images into Lightroom 5

dj_paige wrote:

The alternative approach, that I highly recommend, is to leave the photos where they are, and put your effort into adding appropriate metadata such as keywords, captions, etc. This enables you to find your photos wherever they are (it doesn't matter what the folders structure is), because from this point on you search by keyword and other metadata. Furthermore, this gives you a much more powerful organization tool, because each photo can be described by many keywords and multiple pieces of information in the metadata, whereas if you use folders for your organization, a photo can be in at most one folder. Lastly, DO NOT re-arrange your photos into folders by capture date month year. If you must find a photo by a given date, your Filter Bar in Lightroom does this for you right now, without any re-arranging needed.

Well I see you and I disagree once again.

What is so wrong with storing your images by Year/Month/Day?

It is all a personal choice. I was giving the OP what "I Do" not what he should do (unless the OP chooses to do it that way). If you actually read my post you might of read I also said he can do it anyway he likes. You don't like doing it by Year/Month/Day so OK YOU Don't Have To.

Having a proper folder structure, OF YOUR CHOOSING, is the only way to organize all your files not just image file. Do you remember Filing Cabinets? What would happen if you just dropped paper files into any draw and any folder in one of the drawers without some type of Plan for organization? Answer, you'd never find anything when you were actually looking for it except by pure luck.

I also said he can use Collections and Keywords. But I guess you didn't get that far into my post before you started to criticize it and my method, Of My Choosing, for organizing my image files.

What is wrong with you?

• 5. Re: importing images into Lightroom 5
                  dj_paige Level 9

What is so wrong with storing your images by Year/Month/Day?

As I said, the instant you have imported the photos into Lightroom, you have the ability to find photos by year/month/day using the filter bar. No need to do extra work creating folders to obtain this ability.

Having a proper folder structure, OF YOUR CHOOSING, is the only way to organize all your files not just image file.

There are many ways to organize your images.

• 6. Re: importing images into Lightroom 5
                    henrya51887087

Question - just "imported" a folder of photos using finger drive USB to Imac retina, (I have a windows laptop with my photos on it) and LR added the pics to the catalog but did not move them to the HD. I realize that this was due to a setting, but am not sure how to move the pics to the HD now; I assume I need to do this from within LR so that it can keep track of them.

Suggestions?

• 7. Re: importing images into Lightroom 5
                      dj_paige Level 9

How do you know the photos are not on your HD? Did you check, or did yu just assume?

If you are 100% sure the photos are not on the HD and you t performed any tasks on these photos, then since you haven't done anything to these photos in Lightroom, just delete them from Lightroom and import them again using the COPY option. If you have performed tasks on them and don't want to lose the editing or whatever, then let us know, and we can help you fix this as well.

• 8. Re: importing images into Lightroom 5
                        peccarypig Level 1

I definitely see the value of being able to find images by keywords, captions, etc. Would it not also make sense, in addition to those entries, to create "subject" file folders (i.e. , Paris Vacation, Family Reunion, etc.)? Or are you saying that in your opinion the metadata info is enough, and folders by topic are unnecessary? I realize by reading the different responses to my question that there are many opinions. Do I understand correctly that you use the "metadata only" method?

• 9. Re: importing images into Lightroom 5
                          peccarypig Level 1

Not sure I understand the idea that a photo being in one folder would be a detriment; wouldn't I always have complete access flexibility via metadata, regardless of which folder the image is in…? This may be exactly what you're saying, and I am making this much more complicated than it is. Organization has never been my strong suit, so I am searching for the "best" approach to getting my images recognized by LR. Again, there seem to be multiple approaches, depending who you talk to.

• 10. Re: importing images into Lightroom 5

Yes there are multiple approaches.It is a personal choice how you store your files including your images. There are no Set Rules.

Personally I would never place all images into one large folder. That would be like throwing all your personal paperwork into one large box. Sure LR allows you to do that and still search/find a single image "IF" you assigned a keyword, placed it in a collection, remembered the date it was taken or some other metadata for that one image.

I started using Photoshop and Bridge back in 2003, a few years before LR was release. So I am use to organizing my images into folders by Year, Top level folder, and subfolders by Month/Day(Date) and then sometimes second Sub-Sub-Folder for specific events or places I took image at.

It's just my way of separating images so if I need to find something Outside of LR, like with Bridge or a File Manager, I don't have to look through thousands of images.

I would seriously doubt a Pro or advanced amateur photographer would dump all their images into one large folder

• 11. Re: importing images into Lightroom 5
                              dj_paige Level 9

No one here has recommended putting all of your photos into a single huge folder.

• 12. Re: importing images into Lightroom 5
                                dj_paige Level 9

I definitely see the value of being able to find images by keywords, captions, etc. Would it not also make sense, in addition to those entries, to create "subject" file folders (i.e. , Paris Vacation, Family Reunion, etc.)? Or are you saying that in your opinion the metadata info is enough, and folders by topic are unnecessary? I realize by reading the different responses to my question that there are many opinions. Do I understand correctly that you use the "metadata only" method?

There are many ways of organizing including "subject folders", as well as hybrids involving subject folders in your operating system, together with keywords in Lightroom.

My suggestion earlier said clearly: "leave the photos where they are". If you're going to spend time organizing, don't spend time re-creating a folder structure, spend time using the more powerful tools Lightroom provides (keywords and other metadata). Yes, I use metadata only to organize and search. My photos are in many folders, but since I can find the photos in Lightroom (and thus also on my hard disk) via keywords and other metadata, I don't even try to create a more sophisticated folder hierarchy. So, yes, for me metadata has been completely sufficient. (New photos can go into default folders which Lightroom can create for you with zero effort after the initial selecting of options)

Not sure I understand the idea that a photo being in one folder would be a detriment;

If all you do is organize your folders and you have no keyword or other metadata, you can't have the same photo in two different folders in order to have the photo organized in two different categories (folders) ... for example you might assign the keywords Vacation and Mountain to a photo, but you can't put the same photo into both the folders Vacation and Mountain.