13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2015 11:12 AM by MrMathType

How can you place MS Word with MathML into InDeign?

SofiaCSDAUTH

I was given an MS Word document that includes MathML and I was asked to convert it to EPUB 3.0.
      However, when I try to place the MS Word document into an InDesign CC 2014 document, I get an error for missing fonts. Specifically Cambria Math and Mathematica1 fonts are missing and I have to replace them. If I replace them with a random font, obviously it's not working and the MathML equations are missing.
      What can I do to import my document?

• 1. Re: How can you place MS Word with MathML into InDeign?
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Do you own those fonts, and are they installed in your system?

• 2. Re: How can you place MS Word with MathML into InDeign?
            MrMathType Level 2

In what form is the MathML in your Word document? Word documents don't normally contain MathML.

What are you doing to get from Word to InDesign? Are you using the Place command to place the entire Word document into ID? (You did say you're placing it, but I just wanted to verify the process.)

• 3. Re: How can you place MS Word with MathML into InDeign?
              mlukowski@cornellpump.com

Are the equations in the word document made by using the "insert equation" method? If so, they won't show up in indesign. Even if you could get them to show up, reformatting them to look like they do in word is nearly impossible. When I have to do this, I save the word doc as a PDF, then load the PDF into acrobat or illustrator, crop it to just the equation, and then place the equation in indesign as a linked object (within the text frame). Maybe not the best method, but InDesign doesn't have very good tools for making a math problem look like a math problem, especially once you start dealing with higher algebraic functions.

• 4. Re: How can you place MS Word with MathML into InDeign?
                Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

mlukowski@cornellpump.com a écrit:

Are the equations in the word document made by using the "insert equation" method? If so, they won't show up in indesign. Even if you could get them to show up, reformatting them to look like they do in word is nearly impossible. When I have to do this, I save the word doc as a PDF, then load the PDF into acrobat or illustrator, crop it to just the equation, and then place the equation in indesign as a linked object (within the text frame). Maybe not the best method, but InDesign doesn't have very good tools for making a math problem look like a math problem, especially once you start dealing with higher algebraic functions.

Wow!  Very amazing and clever method to make maths in InDesign! The last mathematical book I've made with ID from Word files had only 27,634 equations! 

Its topic: Nuclear Energy and Safety [1,232 pages, in French]! Cool!

Capture d’écran 2015-10-06 à 01.55.13.png

• 5. Re: How can you place MS Word with MathML into InDeign?
                  SofiaCSDAUTH Level 1

After reading your question I re-examined the type of the equations, because I wasn't the one who wrote the document in the first place, and I think they're typical word equations (no plug-in or anything special).

And by placing, yes I mean the Ctrl+D command.

• 6. Re: How can you place MS Word with MathML into InDeign?
                    SofiaCSDAUTH Level 1

Unfortunately this is not an option for me, as the book contains 1,000 equations approximately and they were inserted in word via the typical word "insert equation" method.
                    So there's NO other way?

• 7. Re: How can you place MS Word with MathML into InDeign?
                      SofiaCSDAUTH Level 1

How did you manage to place the word equations in ID after all?

• 8. Re: How can you place MS Word with MathML into InDeign?
                        SofiaCSDAUTH Level 1

Not really. I looked for Cambria Math Bold, but couldn't find it. I could only find Cambria Math Regular and if I replace all the instances of the Bold with Regular the equations simply disappear. The same with Mathematica1.

• 9. Re: How can you place MS Word with MathML into InDeign?
                          mlukowski@cornellpump.com Level 1

If you have that many to do, there might be a plug-in that you could use to import them.

• 10. Re: How can you place MS Word with MathML into InDeign?
                            SofiaCSDAUTH Level 1

There are plug-ins to import Word with MathType equations into InDesign, but not for Word Equations. Or at least I haven't found one so far. Any help would be really appreciated!

• 11. Re: How can you place MS Word with MathML into InDeign?
                              MrMathType Level 2

First, back to one of your original statements:

SofiaCSDAUTH wrote:

I was given an MS Word document that includes MathML and I was asked to convert it to EPUB 3.0.

You'll not find a direct path from Word+MathML to EPUB 3, through InDesign. ID just doesn't have the capability to process MathML. MathML is a part of the EPUB 3 standard, so if this is something that matters to you, please file an enhancement request with Adobe and ask for it.

For the rest of my reply, I'm assuming you're using Windows, since you didn't state otherwise.

As to converting the OMML equations (OMML = Office Math Markup Language) in Word into a format that ID can handle, MathType can do the conversion. If you don't have MathType, you can download the trial and see if it works for you (links below). All features work for 30 days, with no limitation other than the 30 day time period. Once you install MathType, there will be a MathType tab on the ribbon in Word 2007, 2010, or 2013 (specifically not 2016 -- not yet anyway). This should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway: work on a copy of the document, not the original. In the MathType tab, choose the Convert Equations command. I think the default choices will work, but the critical options that must be selected are these: on the left side, Word 2007 and later (OMML) equations; on the right side, MathType equations (OLE objects); at the bottom, Range: Whole document. When the process is complete, a dialog should tell you how many it converted.

Please note: We're aware of a problem converting "large" OMML equations. If some of yours don't convert, it's best to write us at support@dessci.com and let us help there.

Once you have a document that's Word+MathType, use the process outlined here (near the bottom of the page, in the section titled "Import a Word document with MathType equations into InDesign (Windows only)".

Download link for the MathType trial: MathType 30-Day Trial

• 12. Re: How can you place MS Word with MathML into InDeign?
                                SofiaCSDAUTH Level 1

I tried MathType and did everything you've mentioned above, but it converted only 9 equations out of the whole chapter that includes more than 100. I don't really know what's wrong. Maybe I should upload the document to check for yourselves as well.

http://speedy.sh/WzsQP/02-chapter-01-SET-THEORY.docx

• 13. Re: How can you place MS Word with MathML into InDeign?
                                  MrMathType Level 2

For the benefit of anyone who may be following this thread, or who may stumble on it later, I've had some email correspondence with Sofia, and wanted to summarize the situation here.

1. This was not her document. Rather, she was given the document and the task of converting it from Word into EPUB 3.
                                  2. Most of the equations were created with the equation editor in Word, the proper name of which is "OMML editor". Some had been created with the "old" equation editor -- aka "Microsoft Equation 3.0" (EE3). A few of the equations were created either with EE3 or with MathType, but had subsequently been converted into pictures, which could not be edited in MathType.
                                  3. Fonts can definitely cause problems. Both OMML equations and MathType equations are created with fonts. A Word document with OMML equations, placed into InDesign, will result in the equations simply being deleted. If the Word document contains MathType equations, the process of placing it into ID will convert the equations into EPS. Fonts are still a problem, and although most equations come over to ID just fine, sometimes there are issues. We can generally deal with these.
                                  4. Expressions should be created in their entirety in MathType or OMML. It's bad practice to create an expression by inserting a character as text, then one from MathType, then another (or others) as text.
                                  5. If you have a Word document with OMML equations, MathType can convert these into MathType equations, but it's best to work with small (~5-10 pages each) sections of the document rather than the entire document at once.
                                  6. Finally -- EPUB 3. InDesign is capable of EPUB 3 export, but if you're creating an ebook with math, you're not getting the full benefit of EPUB 3 if you're not using MathML for the equations. MathML (an ISO standard itself) is part of the EPUB 3 standard, and was created for exactly this type of output. InDesign does not support MathML, and hence is not fully EPUB 3-compliant.

I'll continue to monitor this thread, but if someone has similar difficulty with equations in InDesign or EPUB 3, it's best to write us directly -- support@dessci.com. Please give full system configuration details, and include a sample document(s) if you can.

Bob Mathews

Design Science, Inc.