6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2015 2:18 PM by rafalp85005190

Files missing after moving folders within Lightroom

rafalp85005190

I moved folders from one drive into another within Lightroom. During moving,Lightroom kept displaying error messages "photos missing","Photo cannot be moved to destination". After moving, someof the pictures were missing. I had to sync folder again but a few pictures seem to be gone forever - they are not on hard drive anymore. I do not remember deleting them, though earlier this day I exported them to JPGs... I have a backup of the pictures but when I tried to import with "do not import duplicates" checked, Lightroom identified just a few photos as duplicates - those which appeared after re-syncing the folder. Not to mention that I lost quite a bit of work on developing etc.

• 1. Re: Files missing after moving folders within Lightroom
          dj_paige Level 9

You don't want to import the backups of your photos. You simply copy them, using your operating system, to the folder where Lightroom expects them to be. Lightroom should then recognize them.

If you cant find tehm in Lightroom, you need to try all 4 of these steps:

1. In Lightroom, go to the Catalog section on the left and click on All Photographs
          2. Turn off filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
          3. Expand all stacks: Photo->Stacking->Expand All stacks
          4. Search for at leasst one of the photos by file name, using the Lightroom Filter Bar
          • 2. Re: Files missing after moving folders within Lightroom
            rafalp85005190 Level 1

Well, what I was trying to do was to import photos from a backup drive to get at least original NEF files (the backup was created at time of first import of files from an SD card to Lightroom). What I expected was that Lightroom will gray out files which are already in the catalog and let me import the missing ones - but it does not seem to recognize them and basically wants me to import also photos which are already visible in the Library

• 3. Re: Files missing after moving folders within Lightroom
              dj_paige Level 9

Unless you an conclusively confirm that the files are not in Lightroom (and it sure sounds like they are still in Lightroom), then importing is not a good thing to do. Importing is a very bad thing to do in this situation, and will not solve your problems.

You need to locate the photos in Lightroom via this 4 step procedure.

• 4. Re: Files missing after moving folders within Lightroom
                rafalp85005190 Level 1

I copied the files from backup drive and re-synced the folder. The photos appeared in LIghtroom. Then I did what you suggested -went to "All photographs", expanded all stacks... And now the previously missing files appear twice in the Library grid under the same filename.But as soon as I go to the specific folder, they appear just once... So anyhow it seems to me the catalogue got corrupted in some strange way...

• 5. Re: Files missing after moving folders within Lightroom
                  dj_paige Level 9

Sounds like a user error, re-synching a folder might do this. But there is no way the same file with the same file name can appear twice in a single folder, this is an operating system restriction.

In any event, you might want to go back to the view where the files appear twice, and then clearly the files are no longer missing. Delete one copy from Lightroom (the one you don't want, probably the one with no edits), and work with the other copy  (the one you didn't delete) from now on.

• 6. Re: Files missing after moving folders within Lightroom
                    rafalp85005190 Level 1

That's what I did - I removed the duplicates from the Lightroom catalog in "All photos" view. Of course there were no duplicate files,I know this