13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2015 4:14 PM by Nibiru101

can i load a second lightroom on the same computer?

Nibiru101

something changed recently and i now have a folder for missing photos, about 400 out of 1200 total are missing. i've tried all the fixes described on the web but have had no luck. i want to continue working on the ones i can access in my current lightroom and am now thinking perhaps i could load a new lightroom and start again by copying the original 'missing' photos to the second lightroom. but, is it possible or even do-able to have a second lightroom?

• 1. Re: can i load a second lightroom on the same computer?
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi Nibiru101,

You wont be able to install Lightroom two times on the same computer.

However you may create a new catalog in Lightroom and then work with it.

Regards,

Tanuj

• 2. Re: can i load a second lightroom on the same computer?
            dj_paige Level 9

Nibiru101 wrote:

something changed recently and i now have a folder for missing photos, about 400 out of 1200 total are missing. i've tried all the fixes described on the web but have had no luck. i want to continue working on the ones i can access in my current lightroom and am now thinking perhaps i could load a new lightroom and start again by copying the original 'missing' photos to the second lightroom. but, is it possible or even do-able to have a second lightroom?

Obviously you hae not been able to fix the "missing" photos. Can you describe the exact situation? Installing a new Lightroom (which is not possible) or opening a new catalog will not let you "continue working" on these photos, all of your edits and user provided metadata will be lost and you will have to start over from scratch with these photos. So ... describe the EXACT situation in great detail, including any error message that you see word-for-word verbatim unedited, exactly as they appear.

• 3. Re: can i load a second lightroom on the same computer?
              Nibiru101 Level 1

thanks for your reply dj_paige. first step is i drag images one by one from iPhoto to my mac desktop, then drag a group of those from desktop to lightroom. after importing to lightroom and editing them there, i export them one by one to my mac, renaming them so i can identify them as the edited versions. i then locate the exported files in mac finder and drag them back into iPhoto. this has worked well for quite a while, but now that i'm typing this and reading it back to myself it seems like it might be a crazy way to be doing it. anyway, now when i go back to lightroom to make some additional edits i'm finding an exclamation mark next to many images, and there's a new folder marked missing photos. when i click on a missing photo it appears full size in the library window pane and the histogram pane is blank and states 'photo is missing'. i tried the 'find all missing photos' option in library and it did reduce the total missing from 400 to 391 but i'm stuck at this point.

• 4. Re: can i load a second lightroom on the same computer?
                dj_paige Level 9

Exporting files and then importing the exports is not going to cause the files to be missing.

You must have either moved or renamed or deleted the ORIGINAL (not the exported) photos, or moved or renamed or deleted the folders that contain the ORIGINAL photos, outside of Lightoom. On Windows computers, unplugging the drive and plugging it in again later can also cause this.

Did you do any of these things?

In any event, you have to reconnect the photos inside of Lightroom using the Find MIssing Folders command, or by clicking on the exclamation point icon and locating the ORIGINAL files for Lightroom.

• 5. Re: can i load a second lightroom on the same computer?
                  Nibiru101 Level 1

thanks for your reply dj_paige. first step is i drag images one by one from iPhoto to my mac desktop, then drag a group of those from desktop to lightroom. after importing to lightroom and editing them there, i export them one by one to my mac, renaming them so i can identify them as the edited versions. i then locate the exported files in mac finder and drag them back into iPhoto. this has worked well for quite a while, but now that i'm typing this and reading it back to myself it seems like it might be a crazy way to be doing it. anyway, now when i go back to lightroom to make some additional edits i'm finding an exclamation mark next to many images, and there's a new folder marked missing photos. when i click on a missing photo it appears full size in the library window pane and the histogram pane is blank and states 'photo is missing'. i tried the 'find all missing photos' option in library and it did reduce the total missing from 400 to 391 but i'm stuck at this point.

• 6. Re: can i load a second lightroom on the same computer?
                    dj_paige Level 9

You repeated the exact same information you provided earlier. You did not add any new information, and you didn't answer my question.

• 7. Re: can i load a second lightroom on the same computer?
                      Nibiru101 Level 1

ok, thanks. i'll go through all the originals to see if they're still there (don't think i would have renamed them) but perhaps i could have moved them somehow. could you give me an instance of 'moving' files … i.e. moving to where? also, another quick question: in develop mode i'm finding that bright highlights, especially white clouds, are now covered with a bright red overlay with spotty edges. i can still develop ok but it's distracting to have this overlay.

• 8. Re: can i load a second lightroom on the same computer?
                        dj_paige Level 9

Moved to anywhere other than where they were at the time of import.

Press letter O to remove the red overlay from your highlights.

• 9. Re: can i load a second lightroom on the same computer?
                          JoeKostoss Adobe Community Professional

I believe it is the letter J that removes the red overlay from clipped highlights.  You can also click the right red arrow in the upper right of the Histogram panel (in the upper right of the develop module).

Screenshot 2015-10-04 17.49.56.png

• 10. Re: can i load a second lightroom on the same computer?
                            dj_paige Level 9

Yes, Joe, you are correct, letter J does the job not letter O. Sometimes, you may have to press J more than once as it cycles through the various states.

• 11. Re: can i load a second lightroom on the same computer?
                              Nibiru101 Level 1

thanks gentlemen, you've resolved the red overlay issue for me. thanks also for your patience with me … i'm 65 with some basic computer understanding, and fairly new to mac and lightroom. 

so, when i drag an image from iPhoto to desktop, is that considered moving it? i realize that might be a dumb question but the original image still remains in iPhoto. i think i'm just moving a copy of it, but perhaps the problem with missing photos is related to me dragging (moving?) copies back and forth to desktop? also, you mentioned that unplugging the drive and plugging it in again on windows computers can cause photos to go missing. would this also be the case on a mac?

• 12. Re: can i load a second lightroom on the same computer?
                                dj_paige Level 9

The problem comes when you import a photo into Lightroom, and then move or rename or delete it outside of Lightroom. Whatever you do with iPhoto should be irrelevant. But why are you putting photos on your desktop ? Doesn't that imply that at some point, you move them off the desktop to somewhere else (because you run out of space on your desktop). And don't you know when you move a photo?

As far as I know, the problem with unplugging a disk happens on Windows only.

• 13. Re: can i load a second lightroom on the same computer?
                                  Nibiru101 Level 1

yes, it's totally reasonable to think i should know when i move a photo!! but sometimes, i wonder where my head is at.  so, thanks for all your wisdom and help … i'll try to locate the missing photos.

if i fail to fix them i may get photoshop anyway since i'm curious about trying it (as long as i pay attention to what i'm doing!)  then i can move new copies of the missing lightroom photos and work on them in photoshop (lightroom has taught me a lot about editing/developing and it'll be no problem to work on the images again, fun in fact.) thanks again, over and out.