9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2015 6:45 PM by GeorgeN3835901

How to activate reverse geo encoding in LR CC?

GeorgeN3835901 Level 1

I cannot get reverse geo coding to work on my images in Lightroom CC (2015.1.1 Release).

I have MacBook Pro running Yosemite 10.10.5.

I have 30K images with GPS coordinates. Many were geo tagged prior to using LR5 and never had problems displaying on maps in the Map module. I have geo coded thousands of images while using LR5 and Lightroom CC, but the reverse geo coding does not seem to work on map coordinates captured before LR5, while using LR5, or now in LR CC.  In the dialogue Lightroom > Catalogue Settings > Metadata the box for "Look up city, state and country ......" is checked.

How do I activate LR CC to apply the reverse geo coding (apply sublimation, city, state, country) on:

1. new images that I initially geo tag in the Map module in LR CC?
      2. images already in my catalogue that are geo tagged, but lacking the reverse geo code content

I'm a highly detail-oriented person (compulsive?) and this is an important topic for me.

Thanks in advance for any insights on what I'm doing wrong or about any glitches.

• 1. Re: How to activate reverse geo encoding in LR CC?
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

To troubleshoot, let's first focus on new images.

When you're in the Map module, and you drag an image from the filmstrip to the map, you should see both GPS coordinates and a suggested City/State/Provinbce/Country added to the Location metadata:

Untitled.png

Look very carefully -- on the Mac in particular, the dark grey font is hard to see, especially on displays in bright rooms or improperly calibrated displays.  (Adobe should be ashamed of such bad UI design.)

If you don't see the suggested location, then a couple of troubleshooting steps:

1. Click on the identity plate (usually your name) in the upper-left corner:

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 2.16.34 PM.png

If you see "Paused" to the right of Address Lookup, click it to resume address lookup.

2. Try resetting your preferences, which fixes a surprising number of things when LR goes wonky: Resetting the lightroom preferences file - updated - Lightroom Forums

• 2. Re: How to activate reverse geo encoding in LR CC?
            GeorgeN3835901 Level 1

Awesome answer. Thank you!

Upon further review, the City, State, Country and ISO country code are indeed all present. I have been researching this for some time, so this wasn't simply one room's lighting, but, I simply did not see it in a variety of lighting environments. Is this confusing IU intended to differentiate between user-supplied data and auto-fill data?

Now I'd like to figure out the IPTC standards for the sublocation and why it is completed inconsistently. When do I use it?

• 3. Re: How to activate reverse geo encoding in LR CC?
              Is this confusing IU intended to differentiate between user-supplied data and auto-fill data?

That's right.  Be careful -- if you try to edit one of the auto-filled fields, the others will clear.  You'll need to confirm all of the fields first by clicking on the labels (City, Country, etc.).  Incredibly, there is no way to confirm all the fields in a batch of photos.

Now I'd like to figure out the IPTC standards for the sublocation and why it is completed inconsistently. When do I use it?

Here's what the 2010 IPTC standard says:

Definition: Name of a sublocation the content is focussing on -- either the location shown in visual media or referenced by text or audio media. This location name could either be the name of a sublocation to a city or the name of a well known location or (natural) monument outside a city. In the sense of a sublocation to a city this element is at the fourth level of a top-down geographical hierarchy.

Photo Definition: Exact name of the sublocation shown in the image. This sublocation name could either be the name of a sublocation to a city or the name of a well known location or (natural) monument outside a city. In the sense of a sublocation to a city this element is at the fourth level of a top-down geographical hierarchy.

User Note(s): This is a detail of a location with blurred semantics as it does not clearly indicate whether it is the location in the image or the location the photo was taken - which can be different. Two more concise properties are available in IPTC Extension with Location Created and Location Shown in the Image.

• 4. Re: How to activate reverse geo encoding in LR CC?
                GeorgeN3835901 Level 1

Got it on sublocation. Again, THANKS!. Very helpful.

Regarding Address Lookup (reverse geo-encoding) again -- Sorry to keep running the same thread, but.....    

• I added some old photos to the map and the City, State, Country didn't load. I closed LR and re-opened, and then these attributes appeared. Is that standard for LR? Is there not a button to fetch/load this content on demand?
                • I'm surprised that the "Timezone" field doesn't autofill as well.
                • 5. Re: How to activate reverse geo encoding in LR CC?

I added some old photos to the map and the City, State, Country didn't load. I closed LR and re-opened, and then these attributes appeared. Is that standard for LR? Is there not a button to fetch/load this content on demand?

I believe that LR does the address lookup in background as you work, since the lookup requires calling an Internet service.  That's why there is a "pause" button as described above.  I've never observed any significant delay myself, though, and I don't know of any way to speed it up.

• 6. Re: How to activate reverse geo encoding in LR CC?

I'm surprised that the "Timezone" field doesn't autofill as well.

Which field are you referring to?  The Location metadata panel doesn't have a Time Zone field.

• 7. Re: How to activate reverse geo encoding in LR CC?
                      GeorgeN3835901 Level 1

See screenshot and the editable "Timezone" field.

Screen Shot 2015-10-07 at 8.47.17 PM.png

I guess this is actually related to a plug-in that I forgot that was downloaded when using LR5. Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s “Geoencoding Support” Plugin for Lightroom  Turns out that one of the feature of the plug in allows for a fill-in of the time zone detail.

I revisited the plug-in and learned that one can capture and/or customize "location" (sub-location?) data with this plug in's reverse geo-encoding. I think it pulls data from Google maps, and also re-writes all the city, state, country and country code with the same white lettering as the other metadata fields. Not sure, but I think it may be the same source that LR uses.  Still need to investigate if the changes this plug-in imposes would be trustworthy.

• 8. Re: How to activate reverse geo encoding in LR CC?

Many people do use that plugin, and the author has an excellent reputation for his plugins and support.

• 9. Re: How to activate reverse geo encoding in LR CC?
                          GeorgeN3835901 Level 1

Thank you for your guidance and contribution.

Now I have to decide just how much detail I want with my images….. Good night

George Nichols

george.nichols1@icloud.com