15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2015 8:18 AM by Peter Spier

Repeating pages

Peter B. Bailey Level 1

Hello,

I've always been a bit confused about repeating pages in ID. I have a business card template with two pages. The first page is the front of the card, the text part. The second page is the back of the card, which is a solid color. Now, I want to import text into the front pages, text of all my names and stuff. I'm just using an 8.5 x 11 page size. So, there are six cards up on the page. So, of course, I want to bring in more than just six entries. How can I tell it to continue creating pages when what's actually being repeated is two full pages, not just one? Because, of course, I'm repeating the second page, the "back" page.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Repeating pages
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This sounds like a job for Data Merge, which is well -explained in the help files. Read that first, then come back with any questions.

• 2. Re: Repeating pages
            Peter B. Bailey Level 1

Thanks. Yeh, actually, I want to use Em Software's InData plug-in for this. But, my issues are really just with ID's page creation mechanism.

I've created a separate file now using ID's own Data Merge. But, man, is it nasty. I have six cards up on a page. So, then, that means there are six "records" per page. All of my text boxes are threaded properly. But, the Data Merge thing doesn't seem to allow for more than one record per page. The "Records per Document Page" interface is totally greyed out, no matter what I choose above it. Everything's greyed out for that.

I pulled in my data, which is only 36 records, and it literally created 2,518 pages! I had to kill ID to delete all those pages.

• 3. Re: Repeating pages
              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To use InDesign's data merge, you would set the fields for a single card, within a frame the size of the card, at the top-left of your page. Then in the Create Merged Document dialog > Records Tab choose Multiple Records from the Records per Document Page: menu, then tick the Preview Multiple Record Layout box to see the multi-up layout automatically generated.

• 4. Re: Repeating pages
                Peter B. Bailey Level 1

Thanks, John. Yes, I've got that. I've got one card out of the six on the master page filled with the data placeholders. But, in that merged document dialog, all aspects of multiple records are simply greyed out. Everything under "multiple records" is greyed out. And, back in just "Records," it's hard set to "Single Record," with absolutely no way to change that. Even when the radio button above is set to "all records."

• 5. Re: Repeating pages

Addressing your original question, you probably can't make InDesign do a repeating page-creation pattern as you describe. If you really must have a card-backs page for of each page of card-fronts, do the Data Merge, then add those pages to the merged document manually.

• 6. Re: Repeating pages

Peter B. Bailey wrote:

Thanks, John. Yes, I've got that. I've got one card out of the six on the master page filled with the data placeholders. But, in that merged document dialog, all aspects of multiple records are simply greyed out. Everything under "multiple records" is greyed out. And, back in just "Records," it's hard set to "Single Record," with absolutely no way to change that. Even when the radio button above is set to "all records."

That's because you haven't left space for the auto-generation of additional records. You still have the 5 empty cards there. Your page must have only the one card and nothing else. The rest of the page must be completely empty.

• 7. Re: Repeating pages
                      Peter B. Bailey Level 1

But, one business card is only 3.5 x 2 inches big. I'm not going to have just one card on an 8.5 x 11 page.

And, yes, I have the 5 empty cards there. But, the text boxes are all threaded on the page to go from one card to the next. Isn't that enough?

Regarding your previous response above, if I do the data merge thing first without the "back" cards, can I have more than one card per page?

• 8. Re: Repeating pages

And, yes, I have the 5 empty cards there. But, the text boxes are all threaded on the page to go from one card to the next. Isn't that enough?

It's not a matter of "enough". That's just not how Data Merge works.

Regarding your previous response above, if I do the data merge thing first without the "back" cards, can I have more than one card per page?

Yes, if you do it with just one card as I described, at the top-left of the document page; not a master page; and no threading. Then choose the Create Merged Document command from the Data Merge panel menu. You'll then be able to choose Multiple Records as I said, and when you enable the Multiple Record Layout preview, you'll then be able to switch to the Multiple Record Layout tab where you'll find controls for your N-up layout. Once you see it how works, you'll realize it's the best way for it to work.

• 9. Re: Repeating pages

One card:

Untitled-1.jpg

Preview Multiple Record Layout:

Untitled-2.jpg

Multiple Record Layout Controls:

Untitled-3.jpg

• 10. Re: Repeating pages

The other possibility is to set up the data file so that you have data for a full page of cards in each record (line of the data file), but you would still nee to unthread the frames. And if you use the multiple record approach and press the preview button you must then use Undo before proceeding to avoid corrupting your file (this is a bug).

But it sounds like you might already have the the information set up as running paragraphs in some sort of text file rather than a spread sheet (and that is not good for data merge). If that's the case you might be able to use what you have already and just auto-flow when you place. Assign a Paragraph Style with a Keep Option to start in next frame to the first text that should appear in each card.

• 11. Re: Repeating pages
                              Peter B. Bailey Level 1

I've done all that. I've got the data merge entries in the top left card. I have no threading anymore. It's all on the document first page. But, when I go to "Create Merged Document," there still is absolutely no choices for multiple records.

Thanks, anyway. I'm going to just use Em Software's InData. I paid for it, so, I'll use it. I just thought that all this had only to do with ID's master page/document page creation.

Cheers.

• 12. Re: Repeating pages
                                Peter B. Bailey Level 1

Thanks, John. I see your JPEGs here. Yeh, and I see that you have "multiple records" showing there. And, for the life of me, I can't get mine to show that. The "single record" thing is set in stone. It's beyond greyed out!

• 13. Re: Repeating pages
                                  Peter B. Bailey Level 1

And, thanks, Peter. I'm setting this up for a relatively unskilled InDesign user guy to use. He's the one who gets the records from the editors or whoever in the company needs a business card. I just want to make it as easy as possible for him.

• 14. Re: Repeating pages

Peter B. Bailey wrote:

...when I go to "Create Merged Document," there still is absolutely no choices for multiple records.

Right, because you still have not done it with just one card on one page. InDesign won't give you the option of a multiple record layout if you haven't left room for it to be auto-generated.

Thanks, anyway. I'm going to just use Em Software's InData. I paid for it, so, I'll use it.

You're welcome, and okay.

• 15. Re: Repeating pages

Multiple record merges require a one-page template file. I suspect that's your problem (and for what it's worth, printing this will be faster as two files anyway instead of duplexing the same static back page over and over).