10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2015 1:57 PM by williaml18637004

is there a compatibilty problem with a Sony hdr pj650ve cam corder and Adobe Premiere Elements 11

williaml18637004

I'm unable to import a videos from my Sony hdr pj650ve camcorder. When I connect the camcorder to my pc it states that there is no device connected and it is offline.

Any info would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: is there a compatibilty problem with a Sony hdr pj650ve cam corder and Adobe Premiere Elements 11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

williaml

What computer operating system is being used for your Premiere Elements 11.

What are the recording settings for the camcorder and the accompanying video properties?

Right now it appears that you are talking about a connection problem rather than a video incompatibility issue. What happens if you download your camcorder files via USB to the computer hard drive and from there import them into the Premiere Elements 11 project.

Have you checked the integrity of your USB connection from camcorder to the computer? Another USB port?

Please consider and supply more information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: is there a compatibilty problem with a Sony hdr pj650ve cam corder and Adobe Premiere Elements 11
            williaml18637004 Level 1

Good morning  ATR

Many thanks for coming back to me .

I have used Adobe Premiere Elements now for 2 years but I was using a IEEE

1394 device and it worked well. Due to the age of my old camera  I  updated

to the Sony HD  . I have, in the past, been able to import a video from the

Sony using the USB connection .The camcorder, albeit a HD device, has been

set up to record in STD at present and the movie I imported last year was in

MPG. The reason for this setup ,according to the operating guide that came

with the camera, is so that I can burn a DVD at the end of the editing

session.

The P.C is seeing the camera and I can, if I wanted to, import videos and

photos from the device using the import videos on dropdown section of  the

camera icon in the computer  page. Unfortunately , I would like it to be

imported directly to the timeline of Adobe Premiere and not have to import

it and then move it into the program.

The program that came with the camera is called Play memories Home and it

does see the camera and I can import anything I want from the camera to the

pc but again, I have to move it  from the program into Adobe.

The operating system I'm using is Windows 7 premium.

I have moved the USB lead into several ports and they all seem to function

and I'm use the same lead when importing from Playmemories.

Many thanks

B.L

• 3. Re: is there a compatibilty problem with a Sony hdr pj650ve cam corder and Adobe Premiere Elements 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

williaml

Thanks for the reply. Please review the following and determine if it is applicable to your situation.

Given that you attach your camcorder to the computer with a USB connection and want to import the file directly into a Premiere Elements 11 project.....

1. Before you attach the camcorder to the computer, open Premiere Elements 11 to its Expert workspace.

2. Go to File Menu/New/Project Change Settings and set the project preset to match the properties of the video that is to be imported.

Please use these instructions...

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
              • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
              • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
              • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/"Video from Flip or Cameras"/Video Importer.

Does that work?

Please consider and then we will decide the next steps if still necessary.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: is there a compatibilty problem with a Sony hdr pj650ve cam corder and Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                williaml18637004 Level 1

Good morning ATR

I  have tried the way you suggested in your E mail but to no avail. I must

add that I normally setup any new video project  the way you describe below

When I used Video importer the system did flicker for a few seconds  ,as if

the system was looking or trying to find something .Then it went into not

responding .

I tried all the add medias but again no success.

I have  imported new material from the icon in the My Computer screen by

right clicking the icon and using the 'import video and picture' section. It

did work both for photos and videos .It allowed me to place the imported

material into an Adobe folder and into My Pictures but I then have to add

the media into the Organizer and then into the Timeline of Première. It is a

bit long winded but I have a least some way of importing material for

editing if all else fails.

Regards

B.L

• 5. Re: is there a compatibilty problem with a Sony hdr pj650ve cam corder and Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

williaml

Thanks for the update.

Let us see if we can still find the answer by way of the project preset consideration. If not, then we will move on to other troubleshooting possibilities.

Please give me the following information so that I can double check your project preset versus your video's properties....

1. What are the details of the recording - from the Sony hdr pj650ve user manual...it looks like 1920 x 1080 with a progressive frame rate. But, I am not sure of the frame rate. What is that? And, please remind me if Premiere Elements is using NTSC or PAL settings - frame rate 29.97/30 or 60 versus 25 or 50? What file extension does your video use - .mts or .mp4? And, does the file use Stereo 2 channel or Dolby Digital 5.1 channel audio?

With that information I will be able to confirm the project settings to be used so that we can rule in or out the project settings as contributing to the problem.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: is there a compatibilty problem with a Sony hdr pj650ve cam corder and Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                    williaml18637004 Level 1

Good afternoon ATR

There are 3 setting that I can use with the camera.

1)  HD

2) MP4

3) STD Quality

At the moment I'm using the recommended setting by Sony for burning to a

D,V,D. this is called Standard Image Quality.(std)This format is a standard

definition digital video camera format and is recommended by the book for

saving movies to a D.V.D. The following apply to this setting according to

the recording spec.:

HQ: Approx 9 Mbps(average) 720 x 576pixels/50i,STD 9 M(HQ),16:9,4:3

There is also a MP4 setting:

MP4:Approx,6Mps (average)1,280x720 pixels/25p,16:9.

Audio .At the moment the audio is set to Dolby digital 5:1 channel. Although

there is a 2ch file for the audio as well.

I have tried the MP4 setting but to no avail.

In the rec mode of the Sony camera there is  a 25Fps setting but every time

I try to change  to this it returns back to the default setting of 50Fps

When I looked up the project setting in Adobe Premiere for HDV it read as

follows:

HDV 1080i 25=16:9 interlaced HD video @ 25 frames per second.

HDV  720 p 25 = 16:9 interlaced HD video 25 Fps-48 Khz audio.

According to the spec in Adobe both these settings are for editing with the

following IEEE 1394 (Firewire /i Link) HDV equipment.

The movie that I have managed to import using the icon in the Computer page

and the USB is in MPG and @25 Fps.

Is it possible of changing the Fps in Adobe to 50?

Many thanks

B.L

• 7. Re: is there a compatibilty problem with a Sony hdr pj650ve cam corder and Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

wiilliaml

Thanks for the reply and the helpful troubleshooting information.

The main thing to remember...when you see a setting described as i50, that is not 50 frames per second. It represents 50 fields per second which is equivalent to 25 interlaced frames per second. It is only when you see p50, that you have a video with the frame rate of 50 progressive frames per second (no fields involved with progressive).

At this time, how are you getting your camera files into the computer and Premiere Elements 11

a. camera attached with USB to computer with Premiere Elements opened and you using Add Media/Video from Flip or Cameras/Video Importer

or

b. camera attached with USB to computer, you save the files to computer, you open Premiere Elements 11, and import the camera files from the hard drive into the Premiere Elements project using Add Media/Files and Folders?

It is important to know if you can do "b". You said that you had success with MPEG 25 frames per second. How did you do that - from camera to computer to Premiere Elements - how?

Once we know that, I will suggest a workflow for 1 or all 3 of your choices HD, MP4. or SD. Try to find out if SD offers you the choice of 4:3 or widescreen 16:9.

Depending on the details video properties and project settings and export choice, when you get to Publish+Share, there may be some opportunities to export with a frame rate of p50

Please let me know if you have any questions about the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: is there a compatibilty problem with a Sony hdr pj650ve cam corder and Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                        williaml18637004 Level 1

Good morning ATR

I have 2 ways of importing a video into my pc

1) I can import it to the hdd using the icon in the computer page .I then

bring it into Premiere Elements and have to manually drag the material scene

by scene onto the timeline as there is no other way of placing the material

onto the timeline. This is time consuming and laborious .As you can image

one mistake when you highlight a piece of video and you can leave out a

scene.

2)This way I still import the video into Premiere by the Icon on the

computer page and then bring the material into the Organizer . Once I have

the video in the Organizer I import it onto the Timeline and proceed to edit

in the normal way. It doubles up the i/p sequence but it is a way if all

else fails.

How I managed to import the video in the first  place I can't really say.

I'm beginning to wonder whether I have removed a piece of software recently

that somehow allowed me to carry out this function, but I can remember

importing  a small piece of video and burning it to a  disc and then

watching it on the T.V

I have recently been in conversation with a large departmental store that

sells Adobe and seemingly ,according to the person I spoke to, there was a

compatibility problem with Sony and Premier  earlier editions but they have

sorted out  that  anomaly.

Many thanks.

B.L

• 9. Re: is there a compatibilty problem with a Sony hdr pj650ve cam corder and Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

williaml

Sorry for the delayed reply. I got detoured along the way.

Based on your reply numbered 8, I am now wondering if you are working exclusively in the Quick workspace of Premiere Elements 11.

To point out what I mean....are you working in the Quick workspace as shown in screenshot 1 or the Expert workspace as shown in screenshot 2?

Quick - with Filmstrip and scene spaces - Screenshot 1

wmQuick.JPG

Expert - with video and audio tracks - screenshot 2

wmExpert.JPG

If you have not been doing any of this work in the Expert workspace, please give that a try. Example, Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag you file to the Timeline Video Track 1 Audio Track 1.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: is there a compatibilty problem with a Sony hdr pj650ve cam corder and Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                            williaml18637004 Level 1

Good evening ATR

When I first used Adobe I purchased the Classroom in a Book for Elements11

and I have always carried out my editing  in the Expert workspace..

Regards

B.L