6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2015 10:36 AM by dj_paige

Is it normal for thumbnails to first appear pixilated and then become clear

Danny_DeLoach

I am in the process of migrating from Photoshop Elements to Lightroom.  I have posted elsewhere about some frustrations I have had in that process, particularly related to the cluttered interface and the halting scrolling experience.  I have been able to resolve almost all of the issues (e.g. using the lights out feature helps me to tune out the interface clutter, and I've improved the scrolling experience by manually creating previews and moving the catalog and previews to an SSD).  However, one niggling problem remains.

Whenever I scroll through thumbnails in the Library module, the cells first appear pixilated (i.e. fuzzy or blocky with obvious pixilation).  They appear this way for about half a second.  Then, they become clear.  I have tried turning hardware acceleration on and off.  I have created manual preview files (and I have waited for the creation of those previews to be completted).  I have put the preview files and the catalog on an SSD.  This initial pixilation still occurs.

As I looked closer at the process I noticed that it it not only pertains to the thumbnail.  I have thumbnail view set to 'not show extras'.  The only icon that still remains in each cell is the one that indicates the Lightroom mobile sync status.  When I scroll through the library and a cell first appears on the screen, this icon is not present while the thumbnail is pixilated.  Then, when the thumbnail snaps into sharp focus, the sync status icon also appears.  This indicates to me that the problem is more than just how Lightroom renders the thumbnails.  Maybe it is related to the rendering of the whole cell.

I should also mention that in all other ways, Lightroom is snappy and I don't experience significant lag or choppy rendering.

Anyway, my question is, "Is this issue of thumbnails being initially pixilated just something that I am going to have to live with, if I use Lightroom?  Or, can it be illiminated with the right equipment or computer system?"

I have fairly new hardware.  However, I'm wondering if newer hardware or a more powerful graphics card in a future laptop would help.  (By the way, I have already checked to be sure that my graphics card driver is up to date).

• 1. Re: Is it normal for thumbnails to first appear pixilated and then become clear
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is normal indeed and I don't think you can do much about it apart from having your preview database and catalog on a SSD disk which will minimize the delay.

• 2. Re: Is it normal for thumbnails to first appear pixilated and then become clear
            dj_paige Level 9

If you have the previews and catalog file on an SSD, then I think this is about as fast as you can make things.

I occasionally have the same pixelization that you see for about a half-second.

By the way, this is an area where getting a faster graphics card won't help at all, the graphics aceleration used by Lightroom does not affect the Library Module at all.

• 3. Re: Is it normal for thumbnails to first appear pixilated and then become clear
              Danny_DeLoach Level 1

OK.  This is disappointing to hear, but at least I can have proper expectations for the user experience in Lightroom.  Thanks for this feedback.

For what it's worth (and I know that neither of you are able to officially speak for Adobe), but Adobe seems to now be heavily promoting Lightroom as an encouraged upgrade path from Photoshop Elements.  I wonder if there will be many new users of Lightroom in the coming months who will go through the same experience I have had.  At least I have an SSD available.  If not, my experience scrolling through the Library would be unbearable.  Lightroom is a great product.  Power users and professionals likely overlook any weaknesses in the user interface, because of the many other powerful features it offers.  However, if Adobe begins funneling masses of "regular consumers" into Lightroom (especially consumers used to the more refined, consumer-oriented user interface of Photoshop Elements), then I wonder how that's going to go.

Again, I appreciate all the helpful feedback here, and I realize that only Adobe designers themselves can really address this issue.  I just have the feeling I'm on the cusp of a wave of many would be Elements-to-Lightroom adopters, and that is a leap from consumer-oriented software to professional-oriented software that may be fraught with frustration.

• 4. Re: Is it normal for thumbnails to first appear pixilated and then become clear
                Danny_DeLoach Level 1

I don't know how to mark both of your answers as the "correct answer".  Sorry about that.

• 5. Re: Is it normal for thumbnails to first appear pixilated and then become clear
                  Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Don't worry about that and your point above is well taken. I can get frustrated by this myself and I use fairly fast hardware.

• 6. Re: Is it normal for thumbnails to first appear pixilated and then become clear
                    dj_paige Level 9

Let me point out that I do not use an SSD, and I either have gotten used to these scrolling/pixelization problems for a fraction of a second, or they simply aren't present at times.

However, if Adobe begins funneling masses of "regular consumers" into Lightroom (especially consumers used to the more refined, consumer-oriented user interface of Photoshop Elements), then I wonder how that's going to go.

You are one of a very few people to complain about this issue, and even you call this problem "niggling". So it's hard for me to imagine that by Adobe funneling masses of regular consumers into Lightroom, that there will be a mass objection to this problem.

I'm not sure whether you have some other hardware problem (although I can't imagine what that might be) or you are just more sensitive to this issue. In any event, I think Adobe has other Lightroom speed issues that they need to address that are much more serious rather than "niggling" problem we are discussing.