2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2015 10:21 AM by andrew.s.otda

Data Merging Multiple People onto one page

andrew.s.otda

I am creating a Data Merge file to create a booklet of emergency contacts. The previous file was done in Publisher (YUCK) and needs to be redesigned. I am trying to set up the file properly in InDesign to perform a data merge in which there are 3 contacts per page (a primary, secondary and alternate for each county in NY). See Below

Publisher File Screen Shot.jpg

Currently, I cannot figure out how to get multiple contacts onto one page. The way it is set up now, I can only get one person's information to show up on each spread.

InDesign Screen Shot.jpg

Any Ideas on how to help remedy?

• 1. Re: Data Merging Multiple People onto one page
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You've got the same problem with which I tried to help in this thread: Repeating pages

As you've found InDesign's Data Merge really only merges one record to multiple sets of fields...OR, (what you want)...multiple records to one set of fields.

So what you need is just one set of fields; the first one. Do this:

Untitled-1.jpg

And delete all but the first page.

1. Now, with focus on the document page (not the master), choose Create Merged Document from the Data Merge panel menu.
          2. On the Records tab of the Create Merged Document dialog, choose Multiple Records from the Records per Document Page menu.
          3. Tick the Preview Multiple Record Layout box.
          4. Switch to the Multiple Record Layout Tab and adjust the controls to place your records as desired (3 per page) while previewing in real time.
          • 2. Re: Data Merging Multiple People onto one page
            andrew.s.otda Level 1

Fantastic! There's still some cleaning up to do but that will save me a TON of time. Thank you so much!