8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2015 11:22 AM by Andoro

Can I make sure files in a book DON'T sync styles?

Andoro

Straight forward question hopefully. I have various files in a job order I would like to keep organized in a book but want to make sure any styles that may be shared DO NOT overwrite each other. Is this possible?

Keeping these files in a book helps generate a single PDF quickly for onscreen approvals, notes and comments.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Can I make sure files in a book DON'T sync styles?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Styles shouldn't synch if you don't ask them to...

• 2. Re: Can I make sure files in a book DON'T sync styles?
            Andoro Level 1

Cool. So you definitely have to turn on that functionality in the book's panel menu? If you do nothing except build the book with files, all style will remain independent?

• 3. Re: Can I make sure files in a book DON'T sync styles?

That's the way it's supposed to work.

Why, may I ask, are you putting all these files in a Book if you don't want to synch them? Normally users add unrelated files to a book in order to match styles.

• 4. Re: Can I make sure files in a book DON'T sync styles?
                David W. Goodrich Level 3

I put files in a Book all the time, mainly to automate pagination, and often I don't want to synchronize styles.  Still, all Books require a file to synchronize from, and I try to select the most generic file in case of accidental synchronization -- which has happened.  Were I paranoid I'd go into the Book's synchronization settings and un-check everything, hoping in effect to turn synchronization off.

My first file in a book is almost always front-matter, which often includes paragraph styles I don't want elsewhere.  For individual chapters I often create special styles that again I don't want to propagate throughout: I might mark words in Jurchen with a char. style for one chapter, or use a modification of my paragraph style for verse to hold a particular format in another.  I use master pages for running heads that change with each chapter, so I'd be really upset if I accidentally synchronized those (I don't recall, but I hope the default is to un-check master pages).

David

• 5. Re: Can I make sure files in a book DON'T sync styles?

That's my recollection.

I can understand not wanting to propagate unused styles, but that's not much damage if it happens accidentally, just a small amount of extra file size for the extra definitions, but no changes to formatting. I'm curious why someone would want to group related files and not share the common styles, or even more why one would group unrelated files if not to convert style definitions.

• 6. Re: Can I make sure files in a book DON'T sync styles?
                    David W. Goodrich Level 3

"Not much damage..." so long as I didn't inadvertently hit the "Redefine Style" after tweaking H&J settings for a hard-to-fit "Body Text" paragraph (with other styles based on it) in the Book's Style Source.  Yes, I've done that, too.  And to fix it I'd be inclined to use the Load Paragraph/Character Styles function, which lets me compare the details of individual styles I'm about to overwrite.

Don't get me wrong, Synchronize can be wonderfully handy.  But it can change more than one might expect in the blink of an eye.  The OP wanted a way to disable this power and un-checking all Synchronize Options should have this effect.  Seeing what's available is probably useful, too.

By the way, the quickest method I know to check that pages didn't change is to generate a new PDF and have Acrobat Pro run a "light-table" comparison against the previous.  The reassurance I got after my accidental synchronization last week was well worth the few minutes it took.

David 

• 7. Re: Can I make sure files in a book DON'T sync styles?
                      Andoro Level 1

Because there are people here that like to go override crazy. Also the layout sizes vary considerably so the text changes in size dramatically. You are preaching to the choir about consistency but given the situation an unsynced book for project off output is the goal.

• 8. Re: Can I make sure files in a book DON'T sync styles?
                        Andoro Level 1

Thanks! I took the same steps and was looking for confirmation that it was the best way to go.