• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2015 doesn't finish loading

Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the most recent InDesign CC update, when I open InDesign it never seems to finish loading.

This is on a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit system. Here are the symptoms:

• The Welcome screen is very (very, very) slow to load, sometimes more than 5 minutes
  • The "CC Libraries" tab flashes constantly, but never loads any content
  • Menus are not usable. Trying to select a menu causes it to flash briefly and disappear.
  • The "wait" cursor (little spinning blue ring) flashes on and off constantly

InDesign is entirely unsuable in this state; I can close the app from the Windows Close button (X in the upper right corner of the application window) but not any other way.

I have tried:

1. Logging out of and back into my Adobe account
  2. Deleting the preference files and cache
  3. Uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign

None of these had any effect.

This *appears* to have happened after the "CC Libraries" feature was added. (At least I never noticed this feature before.)

I also notice that there are now *two* "Adobe CEF Helper.exe *32" processes running at all times.

Any ideas? I'm dead in the water with InDesign and can't work at all.

Doug

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 29, 2015 Dec 29, 2015

Just to follow up on this, and (with luck) put it to bed:

I just updated to InDesign CC 2015.2, and the new version appears to have solved the problem. I wish I knew what the problem was with the previous 2015 version, but I guess I'll take a functioning installation over an understanding of why it didn't work before.

Thanks to all who chimed in with ideas...

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it sounds like the CC Libraries or the Adobe CEF process are having problems, check out this tech note:

Creative Cloud Libraries panel doesn't load in desktop products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the pointer, Steve, but sadly the process described in the tech note had no effect.

Interestingly, even though I have the "Launch at Login" preference for the Creative Cloud control panel app turned off (deselected), The Adobe CEF Service, Desktop helper, and several other processes do start automatically at Windows boot time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you turn Launch at Start CC app preference on? Maybe that's the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve: I've had the "Launch at Start" preference set both ways; it makes no difference either to the new/bad InDesign behavior or to which processes are running just after startup.

I must've rebooted this machine a dozen times so far today, trying to debug this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And once you get it to open you may also find you need to set the number of recent files to display at 0 in the prefs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem. I was able to get mine to load after changing my preferences in the Creative Cloud app. I had to go to preferences and turn on file syncing, even though I have no files that I need to sync to creative cloud. It seems like the libraries thing requires this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mlukowski for the suggestion, but sadly this change also had no effect. I even tried uninstalling/reinstalling InDesign after making the change (hand-deleting the preferences and cache files after uninstall -- the don't seem to be removed even if you tell the uninstaller to delete them).

As an aside, I thought maybe doing a reinstall of the Creative Cloud manager app itself might be productive. This turns out to be very difficult to do. InDesign is my only CC app, but the CC manager app apparently "knows about" the CS6 apps I have installed, and claims it cannot be uninstalled because these apps "depend" on it. I can't say I'm impressed by that particular gimmick.

Just so you can see what I'm seeing (you may have to click over to YouTube to be able to resolve the details):

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm moving this to the Creative Cloud Download & Install forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Douglas_Dirks you can find details on how to install InDesign CC 2015 and your Creative Suite 6 applications at Uninstall or remove Adobe Creative Cloud apps.

If you need to reinstall the CS6 applications you can do so through the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application as those versions are included with your membership.  You can find details on how to install CS6 and InDesign CC 2015 at Download and install Adobe Creative Cloud apps.

If you are facing unexpected behavior in InDesign CC 2015 then I would encourage you to also use the CC Cleaner Tool after your Adobe Creative applications have been uninstalled.  You can find details on how to download and use the CC Cleaner Tool at Use the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jeff,

This suggestion gave me hope, and I uninstalled InDesign (though the CC manager app), hand-deleted the leftover preference and cache files, and then uninstalled the Creative Cloud manager app itself using the CC Cleaner Tool. Sadly, after reinstalling the Creative Cloud manager, and using it to reinstall InDesign, I see the same behavior. Very frustrating...

So, two questions:

1. Is there any way to revert to a previous version of a CC app? This behavior seems to have appeared only after the most recent update, and has not appeared on a machine on which the latest InDesign update has not been applied.
  2. Is there a database of known bad interactions between InDesign (or Adobe products in general) and other, third-party software? I ask this because I had a different problem a year or so ago, the solution to which turned out to be removing the "Pushbullet" web browser plugin. I have not reinstalled Pushbullet, but I'm wondering if there is something else out there "in the wild" that is known to cause problems with InDesign.

Thanks for bringing my attention to the CC Cleaner Tool, and for any additional ideas you may have.

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doug you can install previous versions of InDesign through the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application.  Details on how to install InDesign CC 2014, CC, and CS6 can be found at Download and install Adobe Creative Cloud apps.

I would also recommend that you review the installation logs to verify there is not an installation error.  You can find details on how to locate and interpret the installation log files at Creative Cloud Help / Troubleshoot install issues with log files | CC.  You are welcome to post any specific errors you discover to this discussion.

Doug you are also welcome to contact our support team directly at Contact Customer Care.  Our support team would be happy to assist you directly with the launch related difficulties you are facing with InDesign CC 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for pointing out how to install the prior versions of CC apps. (I feel a little silly for not having figured that out myself.) I was able reinstall InDesign CC2014, which does not exhibit the problem I'm having with the 2015 version. So . . . partial success, at least!

As an aside, when I launched the CC manager app today, it offered up another update to InDesign CC2015. I installed this, hoping that it would solve the problem, but no such luck. I guess I'll need to get in the support queue with this one.

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update Doug.  Please feel free to update this discussion if you continue to face difficulties.  If you can also include the case number from your interaction with our support team it would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been assigned case #0187135630.

I had a lengthy session with an Adobe tech support rep yesterday. He took remote control of my Windows machine and tried a number of things, including clearing the preferences, changing permissions on folders where permissions are stored, disabling the graphics adapter, and trying to run InDesign from a different user account, all to no avail. InDesign did run in Windows Safe Mode, but when the tech tried running in a regular (non-Safe Mode) session but disabling (almost) all non-Microsoft services, InDesign began misbehaving again. Perhaps this means some Microsoft component has been updated and is conflicting with some Adobe component?

One other thing I noticed yesterday is that the Adobe Extension Manager shows extensions for InDesign CC 2014, but does not appear to recognize that InDesign CC 2015 is installed. This seems odd to me.

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2015 Dec 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to follow up on this, and (with luck) put it to bed:

I just updated to InDesign CC 2015.2, and the new version appears to have solved the problem. I wish I knew what the problem was with the previous 2015 version, but I guess I'll take a functioning installation over an understanding of why it didn't work before.

Thanks to all who chimed in with ideas...

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines