1 2 3 Previous Next 369 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2017 9:44 AM by resdesign

Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?

Herbert2001 Level 4

We use this in our classes. A colleague of mine confirmed to me today that EA's development is officially discontinued, and Adobe will now focus on html5 export in Flash.

Can anyone confirm this?

• 1. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
          aa_lique Level 1

I am watching for it in the Keynotes for Max Adobe 2015 from yesterday. Haven't heard anything yet.

Adobe MAX 2015 Creativity Conference Keynote day 1 full - YouTube

Keeping my fingers crossed. Today's keynote

http://max.adobe.com

• 3. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
            aa_lique Level 1

After watching the Adobe MAX, I can see why they don't have time to focus on EA. Sad. And I am demo-ing am app I made with EA on Thursday.

I hope they have a fix for us loyal customers that used Edge; something that will port over edge files (.an or .oam) and convert them.

I feel really stuck at this moment. This project has been a lot of money and time and now to hear we may have to remake all over again. I just don't have the YIKES!

• 4. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
              resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Even if the development of Animate is over, you can still use any version you have. Of course, some day a browser update might brake your stuff. I have about 700 Edge Animate comps running right now and I am crossing my fingers because if something breaks I am in big trouble.

I do not foresee any update or change at this time. I still hope development will resume in the future, though. I put a lot of time and energy on the product as well as this forum and I would hate for it to go away for good.

The only thing that could change the status is if many people used it and participated in this forum.

• 5. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                Happiest Camper Level 1

We are heading into a very large project using Adobe Edge Animate and I need to know if the program's development has been discontinued.  Can anyone give me confirmation of this news?  Either an Adobe official, or point me to where you go the original information from?  Thanks for any help on this.

• 6. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                  aa_lique Level 1

to Happiest Camper,

From that lack of support even on this forum - read between the lines.

I am in the same boat. And I am not developing any further with it until i hear something. The least news we could recv would be that these .oam files can be opend and accessible in Flash, if that is the way they want to go. I had to stop dev in Flash some years ago when Flash format files were not supported. This is the third time I have had to cease development with an Adobe product (1 Flash (years ago) for not being supported by Apple, and browsers, 2. An important filter that Adobe decided to eliminate w/o even offering it as an extension or plugin to users, its customer base, and now 3. the unsupported lack of development for Edge Animate).

EA seemed to have answered and filled the gap of animation products. But as demonstrated at MAX last week, the Company has new products that they prefer to focus on at this time. So we have to move on and make decisions that will benefit our own clients and our products.

I would advise that you not take a chance. It's too much work to redo, remake and start over again. Been there, done that too many times. Good luck!

• 7. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                    aa_lique Level 1

To redesign - MVP

many of us are already using it.

• 8. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                      Happiest Camper Level 1

Yep, same boat, my primary income was Flash from it's inception with Macromedia.  I was a Macromedia Certified Developer and Designer, then when Adobe bought it they just seemed to continually make it worse and more difficult to use with every update.  I was exhausted with explaining to clients why simple tasks that worked in everything else were difficult and laborious.  Eventually I gave up with Flash entirely, first on the web and then off.  When EA came along I threw myself back into it and have found it to be steadily improving.  But now I am trying to convince my client to move to Hype at the beginning of this very large project, but since there is no confirmation of it being discontinued the client believes it is just rumor.  It is shocking how little Adobe seems to care for their life-long customers jobs and sanity.

• 9. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                        Herbert2001 Level 4

I agree with the others here. I talked to my colleagues at work, and that, together with the dev team members being let go or moved to other product teams, I would not hold my breath, and I would start looking for alternatives.

Depending on the web project, you may want to investigate Scirra Construct 2: although aimed at producing web games, the editor can also be easily be used for highly interactive web experiences. The performance is far superior to Edge Animate, since it works with the canvas element, and it is webgl accelerated (if supported). Create Games with Construct 2 - Scirra.com

It is extremely well supported, comes with a debugger in your browser, and many free extensions are available to expand the already very expansive and deep toolset. The free version is capable to work with up to three layers. Compared to Edge Animate it is virtually bug free. :-P Productions work in all major browsers, both desktop and mobile. Converting to an app (iOs and Android, and other platforms) is also relatively easy.

Animation works different in Scirra Construct, though. It uses more of a room approach. There is no time line.

However, for many interactive projects it may be an excellent (if not superior) alternative. No manual coding - everything is controlled through behaviours and a event spreadsheet.

• 10. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                          Peter Villevoye Adobe Community Professional

I also have to draw the sad conclusion that

Adobe Edge Animate is as good as dead.

There are too many signs:

the deafening silence around the application;

the absence of any MAX session on Animate;

the fact that it's still coded as an AIR project;

the lack of any support of the OAM file format,

the complete termination of other Edge apps;

the announcement of this Comet application.

And while we're on it, I hereby conclude

that right now, Adobe has no application

(alive) to do proper visual web animation.

Dreamweaver ? Meh.

Muse ? No animation.

Animate ? Quite dead.

Flash ? You're joking !

InDesign ? Come on...

Photoshop ! Really ?

I thank Adobe for trying, but I also blame them

for being too stubborn and too slow in this area.

While Hype 3 and Google Web Designer soar,

Adobe is still staring at their "web roadmaps".

(I hope Muse will be able to keep going strong.)

They've spent massive amounts of resources

on so many wrong ideas, projects, and features,

and I'm fed up listening to their marchitectures.

They should have listened to designers.

The web is just not Adobe's cup of tea.

"Macromedia will take Adobe clubbing"

was the slogan when the two merged.

Well, the friendly elephant can't dance.

• 11. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                            Herbert2001 Level 4

100% agreed. Adobe has had no clear strategy as to how to handle web related design and provide robust tools, and is still struggling in that regard. They just seem to have no handle on it, and as a company, have always lagged behind, and are still 'swimming' with a lack of clear direction. Their fragmented approach has cost them dearly - and might become truly painful for them in the upcoming years. 

When they acquired Macromedia I expected and predicted that this lack of foresight and insight in the web industry on Adobe's part would probably mean the demise of MM's products. And, unfortunately, it has become truth:

• Fireworks (once the standard for protoyping and quick web graphic generation): dead.
                            • Flash, once the standard plugin for rich multimedia on the web: dead.
                            • Flash, the defacto web animation tool and animation tool for animators in general: marginalized.
                            • Dreamweaver, once king of the hill in web-coding land as one of the most popular code editor environments: it does not even register anymore as a professional coding environment for most web coders. Its PHP functionality stripped, and each new version more neurotic than the ones before, with no clear direction. They now decided to integrate brackets back into DW - a product which the community has improved and many users have abandoned DW for. Well, too little to late (yet again!), I am afraid.
                            • Director: forgotten by most users. It could have been great for Mobile dev, IF ANYONE at Adobe had even taken the tiniest of tiniest interest in that unique application. Soon to be dead.
                            • Authorware, a standard application used in education, and which could have become, together with DW, Director, Flash etc., a standard for distributed online e-learning applications. Dead. Forgotten.

Within the scope of just ten years - TEN YEARS - Macromedia's hegemony on web technologies and applications was ERADICATED. It boggles the mind! How on earth could any company with half a brain let that happen - if someone in Adobe's management would have willfully wreaked havoc on this product line, they could not have done a better job. I find this amazing and quite frightening at the same time, to be honest.

And then, as you, Peter, already state, all these ridiculous 'experiments' with again no clear goals in mind: Edge Animate, Edge code (brackets which seems to be doing fine as an open source tool, because the online community seems to have a clear mindset as to how to develop it), and so on, and so forth.

Photoshop just does not work well as a web/mobile prototyping tool - not yet, and it probably never will. Generator is dubbed as the best export tool ever, then thrown out of the window (with hardly any mention), and a new snazzy web export module is finally developed to replace the seriously outdated and limited Save For Web function, and even that one is half broken

And let's not even mention DPS, and how that is handled in regards to web integration.

A 'sad state of affairs', indeed, if I ever I saw one.

Well, Google Web Designer is free. And other companies are bustling with activity which have resulted in truly useful new web dev/design tools such as Macaw, PineGrow, Construct 2, Hype, and many others.

So now Flash is going to touted as the 'next best thing' for web animation, I guess. Bolted on top, we may expect badly integrated web animation code, and it's going to be a patchy construct at best.

Peter is correct in saying Adobe just does not understand how designers work on the web, mobile, and online. Adobe, I think, has already lost the battle. They had the chance with Macromedia's products, and yet UTTERLY and COMPLETELY failed at taking advantage of their strong position, and lost. They just do not realize it yet. Unless a miracle happens, other companies will be taking the lead for the upcoming decade - as they have done for the last ten years.

• 12. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                              marjantrajkovski Level 4

As i mentioned, trend is in free open source software. The best designers and developers are from poor countries.

• 13. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                                Herbert2001 Level 4

marjantrajkovski wrote:

As i mentioned, trend is in free open source software. The best designers and developers are from poor countries.

I would have to disagree with your overly generalized assertions. For example, Blender and Krita, two of the stars of the open source world (on par with, or even an improvement over a number of commercial competitors) are mainly developed in "rich" countries.

But I do agree that open source does thrive in web development.

• 14. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                                  Peter Villevoye Adobe Community Professional

The problem however with free and open source software, is that none of the mostly technical contributors hardly ever care about how it looks, I mean as the tool itself. Most of these open source tools, how technically terrific they might be, are therefore just a rip-off of an already available tool (fine with me, but I'll stick to the original), or they look as if some one just slammed an interface together with some buttons and panels, and that's it then.

Besides that, I haven't found so many open source HTML(5) animation tools. Lots of frameworks and API, but I guess there's still too much of a nerdy aura surrounding this slow dawn of HTML(5) animation, preventing open source projects to become more visual designer friendly.

I've come across a 1-year old Top 20 list of various animation tools, and about 7 of them seem interesting to me:

MotionComposer, of the DPS competitor Aquafadas, once partnering with Quark. I know this tool from some time ago. It works with a very different kind of timing. You design screens, and sequences. Pretty different, but not that bad.

Mugeda, seems like an online tool to me, hailing from China, looking not too bad, but I'm afraid to sign up and get spammed by a dozen Chinese other companies for the rest of my digital life. Call me overly concerned, but hey, it's my inbox...

Free Banner Maker - There's no such thing as a free service on the web, so after an great initial experience (the online tool looks kind and maybe a bit too simple) I bet they want me to sign up for some upgrade or lifetime monthly fee.

Radi is still in a beta state, but it looks like a very complete all-in-one application (for Mac), with a visually appealing approach and some in-depth features. The free download was no hassle at all, so I think I'll give it a try one of these days.

Hippani / Hippo Animator looks a bit too grass-roots to me: the Google translation, the screenshots, the display artifacts in their own examples. But you never know what their future brings, so I'll try the freebie app and keep an eye on them.

NodeFire Animator sure took a good look at Adobe Edge Animate and thought "let's copy that and add lots of extras to it". So if you want to live an Edge-like afterlife, you can ! The online app version is free, the (Windows only) app is $ 45.

Tumult Hype - Ahh... the beautiful app I always wanted Adobe Edge Animate to become.

Any experience with one or some of them ?

So there's definitely room on the market for one or two companies to rise to the occasion. Too bad Adobe isn't yet or doesn't want to be one of them. I still remember ex-Adobe's CTO Kevin Lynch giving an early demo of building a motor cycle banner in an HTML animation tool, if I recall correctly. And now, 6 years later, we're back to square one. It's a flashback. Or do I really have to rely on Adobe Flash to rise like a Phoenix in the web animation area, a Flash is Back ?

BTW: I never liked working in Flash, it became too big, too complicated. If you didn't get the hang of Action Scripting, you didn't count. And no matter how often Adobe told me that it's sooo easy to learn to script, I promised myself I didn't want to do another syntax ever in my life again (I've had my fair share of programming and scripting languages). I want tools and buttons !! And that's why I liked Edge Animate so much.

• 15. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                                    aa_lique Level 1

My biggest disappointment is that ADOBE management and staff is not even listening to us at this point.

So I think I am done with the whole issue.

I always praised them with being geniuses and making my job possible. Edge Animate was one of those genius tools (so I thought).

But with their persistent silence in our concerns I find that a big issue.

I have to come to the decision that management doesn't care and that their focus have moved on to other interests.

So I am done.

• 16. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                                      Herbert2001 Level 4

Peter, thanks for those links. I was unaware of NodeFire - I work on Windows myself, so that looks quite interesting.

Peter Villevoye wrote:

The problem however with free and open source software, is that none of the mostly technical contributors hardly ever care about how it looks, I mean as the tool itself. Most of these open source tools, how technically terrific they might be, are therefore just a rip-off of an already available tool (fine with me, but I'll stick to the original), or they look as if some one just slammed an interface together with some buttons and panels, and that's it then.

That is why I mentioned both Krita and Blender. Krita is special, in that its GUI is good looking (which had to be the case, otherwise digital artists will not touch it!). And it is quite innovative in terms of features. It doesn't just clone features as implemented in commercial applications - the developers listen well to the community. They need to, since they depend on their support through yearly Kickstarters now.

Blender might have a bad name in relation to its GUI - mainly due to the older versions. The current version is extremely configurable, and many interface themes are available. And it has to be said that none of the 3d applications are easy to learn, so there is that. The reason to mention Blender here, is that a tremendously handy extension is available to convert your 3d models, animations, and environments directly to WebGL: Blend4Web. No need for a plugin - it works in all modern browsers (except Opera), and you have access to pretty much all the advanced animation functionality of Blender. Quite amazing, and free:

blender.org - Home of the Blender project - Free and Open 3D Creation Software

https://www.blend4web.com/en/

I mention this because Adobe USED to have a 3d application (I forget its name) that was meant to be developed into this direction. Of course, they scrapped it. Director and Flash both require browser plugins to work with 3d on the web, so those are out too. Another opportunity squandered :-(

I mentioned this one before in this thread, but if more interactive games, applications, and mini-web apps are your goal, Scirra Construct is by far the best option. Great GUI, easy to learn, and no hand coding required: all interaction is setup and controlled through behaviours and the visual coding spreadsheet view. It exports your work directly to the web, and can also be converted to apps. For web interactive applications Construct 2 is great. And many community made extensions are available for free. https://www.scirra.com/

Very affordable as well. The free version may be more than enough for simpler work.

Also, Google Webdesigner (beta) looks very promising. I played around with it, and it is squarily aimed at banner designers. Nice GUI, and a timeline comparable to EA. Free, of course.

Google Web Designer

• 17. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                                        BruceMCE Level 1

One thing I like to do is check directly with a company when rumors start circulating online, so I opened a chat session with Adobe Customer Support.

Me:

Is Adobe continuing to support and develop for Edge Animate?

1:31:44 PM

Adobe Support (from his name I'm assuming he's Indian, if that is pertinent to this discussion):

I will be glad to help you with the issue

1:33:07 PM

Me:

OK. So please provide me with an answer.

1:33:46 PM

Adobe Support:

Please allow me 2-3 minutes while I check and help you further.

1:39:44 PM

Adobe Support:

Thank you for your patience.

1:40:34 PM

Adobe Support:

Yes we support Edge Animate and we are developing the Edge Animate.

Me:

So there are no plans to discontinue support?

1:44:41 PM

Adobe Support:

I am sorry, as of now we do not have plan to  discontinue support

1:45:58 PM

Me:

Actually, I was hoping you would continue support. Thanks.

There you have it.

• 18. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                                          BruceMCE Level 1

Hmmm, during Microsoft's launch announcement of their new devices, there was no mention of XBox One and the new XBox Experience. Yep, the XBox is dead....

• 19. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                                            marjantrajkovski Level 4

I am happy to read this good news from support.

• 20. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                                              Herbert2001 Level 4

And you believe this? Obviously the official party line is that EA is still being developed. That will be the official stance up till the moment that EA is officially dropped. Read between the lines: the developers were taken off the project, there are no updates on the EA blog, numerous bugs remain unfixed, the deafening silence on Adobe's part, and the other signs on the wall as mentioned earlier in this thread.

At this point I would love to hear from someone working at Adobe and confirm or deny whether Edge Animate is still being developed, or not.

By now I would have expected SOMEONE on their side to have chimed in: but so far only silence.

• 21. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                                                marjantrajkovski Level 4

Yes I believe. Adobe and others just wait day-d 30.10 when will IAB release new standard.

• 22. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                                                  LARV Level 1

I chatted with Edge support as well.

When asked why I wanted to unsubscribe to Edge I said that I didn´t want to pay for it anymore now that Adobe dedcided to discontinue developing it because of bugs. The support guy didn´t object to that. I felt I got it confirmed that Edge is being dropped.

• 24. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                                                    dSparks Level 1

I also just chatted with support and here's what they said about my question, "Is Adobe discontinuing development on Edge Animate?":

info: You are now chatting with Ankush.

Ankush: Hi welcome to Adobe

ME: Hi!

Ankush: Hi , well I dont have any firm information on this.

ME: Really? Everyone is going nuts.

Ankush: This will be very much clear at coming update release.

ME: When will that be?

Ankush: It will be soon,

Ankush: The beta is released now, so probably that will be very soon

ME: Is there anything that your customers can do to petition the continuation of development? I realize that subscriptions have been low in the past because there was not much need for the software. However, in light of recent updates by Google and other browsers, it's not become a critical piece of software for many of us.

ME: it's NOW become critical is what I meant to say.

Ankush: 'Well So far we do not have update about discontinuation of Edge Animate, however in order to communicate anything with Muse Development team to you can use the following link.

Ankush: http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

ME: So is Animate now under control of the Muse team?

Ankush: I am sorry not Muse But for any product you can use that link

ME: Ah.

Ankush: Just select the option edge Animate in the dropdown

ME: The issue is, I believe there is no Animate team anymore.

ME: So when is the update expected to be released?

Ankush: The team is there.

ME: So there IS an Edge Animate Development team.

ME: Is that officially correct? There IS an Edge Animate Development team?

Ankush: Yup the team is there

ME: Cool!

Ankush: So just try contacting them, and you can also suggest them what ever you would like for product development there.

ME: Again, and I know it's not an official release date since bugs pop up and need to be fixed with delays, but is there a round about date for the update?

ME: I will contact the team

Ankush: Even we are not aware any tentative date for update release, in case we receive the information, I will let you know.

ME: I understand.

ME: Thank you so much for your help. I know you did your best considering the information you have on hand. Thanks for your time. =)

Ankush: Sure , Most welcome and you have a good day.

• 25. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                                                      marjantrajkovski Level 4

Great news! Thank you for sharig this chatt with us.

• 26. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?

There is NO development at this time as far as I can tell.

• 28. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?

What do you mean ? October 30th? 

There is not new release coming. I do not know what this guy is talking about unless it is just a release to correct the multiple bugs that have been mentioned. There will be no new features since there is no dev team working on the project.

• 29. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?

marjantrajkovski , Are you Adobe Personnel? Your icon does not say.

• 31. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                                                              Herbert2001 Level 4

No, I do not think he is Adobe related: he is a Bosnian web designer (check out his profile).

Perhaps he is a beta tester? In that case he cannot share too much information.

@Dsparks: we will see. At this point in time I think EA's development is abandoned, and we might see an alternative appear soon (for example, Flash improved html5 exporter).

• 32. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?

OK, then. I do not expect anything not even an update.

• 33. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?

BTW I am not happy with this development (no pun intended!). I love Animate and I think it is a great software that has a lot of potential. It is easy to use, has a great interface. At 750 comps, I can tell you that it has met all my needs for educational interactive pieces in our curriculum. But I use 2014.0.1, not the latest 2 buggy versions.

• 34. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                                                                    Herbert2001 Level 4

I have used it for a year now in my classes. I like EA, although I have to admit I use other tools for my professional freelance and personal work. I rely more on hand coding with js libraries like Greensock GSAP and Raphaël (svg), as well as products such as Scirra Construct 2 (which is great for highly interactive productions for the web).

• 35. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                                                                      dSparks Level 1

If you like to air your concerns, they have an email address:

EdgeAnimate-Feedback@adobe.com

• 36. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                                                                        marjantrajkovski Level 4

Please. I would like to see somewhere live your works. My works Adobe Edge HTML5 banner ads. I am not from Bosnia, but from Serbia

• 37. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                                                                          Herbert2001 Level 4

Thanks for posting that document! It is a quite interesting read. It is more or less a high level article, not very in-depth, with a number of inaccuracies (for example, "HTML5" was never really "released in 2012" - that makes no sense whatsoever! ).

What is even more telling, is that no specific tools for the creation of banners are mentioned in this document, outside of Flash (which is considered no longer an option according to the author(s) for interactive banner creation).

Edge Animate is not mentioned anywhere in the article. The various technologies and implementation on the browser side are, however (DOM, Canvas, etc.). This article will be presented at the IAB summit at the end of this month.

It does not confirm or deny whether Edge Animate is discontinued or not.

Side note: I am not sure I like IAB much, btw: they are obviously against ad-blocking, and are actively researching and implementing anti-ad-blocking measures. I suppose the new ad-blocker mobile browser is a new thorn in their collective sides .

• 38. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                                                                            marjantrajkovski Level 4

They say You should take no reliance or action on this draft. Please wait for the final document to be published.

Because that all software companies wait for final document or instructions in which way to further develop software.

• 39. Re: Can anyone confirm that Edge Animate is now discontinued?
                                                                              Herbert2001 Level 4

Ah, my apologies. I stand corrected: you are Serbian. I would change my original post, but for some reason I am not allowed to edit my earlier posts currently.I made the false assumption that just because you wrote in the language, you would be from Bosnia as well. Stupid assumption on my part. Sorry for that.

PS I do not work with web banners at all, nor have I ever created one for commercial advertising on the web - as a matter of fact, I dislike them with a vengeance (merely my personal feelings), and it is my personal choice to work in different branches of web dev, design, apps, games, education, and so on. Just no advertisements!

1 2 3 Previous Next