5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2015 10:01 AM by buttonsrtoys

Flash 8 pro - no movement in exported avi

buttonsrtoys

I'm editing an old project I created in Macromedia Flash Pro 8 seven years ago. When I export to AVI, the sound and video work fine except there's no motion tweening in the exported AVI. Characters slide around without the leg and arm motions animated with tweening. This seems weird, because tweening works fine in the previews and export SWF? I've been working on this for hours with no progress and am feeling a bit desperate.

• 1. Re: Flash 8 pro - no movement in exported avi
          Nipun Asthana Adobe Employee

Are you still using Flash 8? Cant say what might be going wrong as I don't have it installed, but you could try a couple of things -

- Expand the Frame span on the main timeline and then try to export.

- This might also be due to Movieclips in your layers. Change their instance types to Graphic symbols and try exporting.

• 2. Re: Flash 8 pro - no movement in exported avi
            Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

My guess is that you are using a more recent version of Flash Pro, but that the Flash 8 file animated limbs using code, which would have been AS2 at the time. That can't work in later versions of Flash. Also, if you import the swf I think you may lose scripts anyway.

Do you have the FLA for the project? Do you have CS6, so you can open the FLA to see how the limbs were moved?

If it's not confidential I could check for you, even if you only have the swf.

• 3. Re: Flash 8 pro - no movement in exported avi
              buttonsrtoys Level 1

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I was using Flash 8. I'm not a regular Flash user and haven't used it in since creating this project in 2009, which is why the old version. I just download a trial version of Flash Pro CC to see if this would fix my problem, loaded the file, and export to AVI. It did solve my problem (my tweens are animating again) but introduced a new problem -- they loop infinitely. I'm seeing online where people add "stop();" to stop the tween from animating. I think I inserted the scripts six years ago, but got a message when loading the old file in the new software that scripts couldn't be ported.

All my clips should only play once, so ideally I could the default for the whole file to "play once." I don't believe that setting exists, but did find that supposedly you can select the instance in the stage and set an option to "play once" (https://helpx.adobe.com/flash/using/symbol-instances.html#set_looping_for_a_graphic_instan ce). This seems ideal, but for the life of me, I can find the setting in the version of Flash Pro CC I downloaded today. I open the properties, but for the life of me, I can't find any options for looping. Here's what I see in my properties panel when I select the instance I want to play once. Or should I be using "stop();"? I rather get "play once" working so I don't have to figure out which keyframe to insert the stop command at for the couple dozen animations I have.FlashPro.JPG

• 4. Re: Flash 8 pro - no movement in exported avi
                Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Play once is a property of Graphic, not Movie Clip. Click on the drop down menu that says Movie Clip, and change it to Graphic.

Alternately you could make a new FLA that is the same stage size and frame rate, and select all the layers in the old file, Copy Layer, go to the new file, right-click in the layers area, and Paste Layers. Then you could go into the scripts and enable the stop(); lines again.

• 5. Re: Flash 8 pro - no movement in exported avi
                  buttonsrtoys Level 1

Perfect. Changing the property to Graphic as you suggested enabled me at change looping to "Play Once", which did exactly what I need. A million thank yous.