6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2015 9:04 AM by A.T. Romano

Export text with transparent Background

jakeh9395802

I am running Adobe Premier Elements. I created a text slide with some shapes (a logo) and would like to export this slide with a transparent background as a still image. Is it possible to export just a text slide as a pdf, png, etc?

• 1. Re: Export text with transparent Background
          kamnayadav Level 1

jakeh9395802,

Before providing a solution, I would need the Premiere elements version number that is being used on your machine. Apart from that, can you also elaborate the requirement a little more? Have you created a timeline for the logo? Do you want to have a still image as the background for the text slide? More information would help me identify your problem and provide a solution accordingly.

Once the timeline is ready, you can export any selected frame on timeline from PRE using the Publish and Share->Image option.

Kamna

• 2. Re: Export text with transparent Background
            Mohammad Tahseen Adobe Employee

You can experiment Tools>Freeze Frame which provides an option to export frame in bmp format. Or, you can try Publish and Share->Image option. But, these options do not retain transparency and export whatever is visible on program monitor. You can try the alternate approach after creating the title, go to Project Assets and select the title and right click and export. You can then reimport this title in other project and use it and this will have transparency in it.

• 3. Re: Export text with transparent Background
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can easily create a logo in Photoshop Elements with a transparent background and then use it, with transparency, in a Premiere Elements movie.

Is that what you're trying to do?

• 4. Re: Export text with transparent Background
                A.T. Romano Level 7

jakeh

Already presented are requests for more details especially about your version of Premiere Elements, computer operating system, and your goals. I echo those requests and come with some things to think about.

If I take you at your word, for Premiere Elements 11, 12, 13, and 14 on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit....and your interest in Export of your Timeline logo with transparency....

1. If you want a still image export, all you are going to get with Publish+Share/Computer/Image (v 11, 12, 13) or Export & Share/Image (v14) is a jpeg export, and the transparency in the Timeline content will be lost in the export.

2. There is no way that I have ever seen to export a  Premiere Elements Timeline logo file with transparency to a still file with the .pdf or png file extension.

There is a devious way to get your Timeline image export to a "png" file with transparency. That involves (v 11, 12, 13), Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime and customizing the preset under the Advanced Button for Video Codec PNG and making sure to have bit depth 32 bit. That will give you your logo as a PNG.mov file. This can also be done in 14 using Export & Share/Devices/Custom.

Are you creating your shapes in a Premiere Elements Titler or elsewhere? If so, just shapes from the Shape section of the Titler or are you including Text Menu/Image/Add Image?

The keys involved what version of Premiere Elements and whether or not you want to maintain the transparency in the export and what type of files are acceptable to you besides pdf and png for this project.

Please consider.

Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks

ATR

• 5. Re: Export text with transparent Background
                  jakeh9395802 Level 1

A.T,

Thank you for your multiple responses. Let me paint the picture for you, best I can.

I am a video editor trapped in a graphic design situation. I have created a relatively simple logo using only the title creating abilities of Adobe Premiere CC. I built a few shapes, I used some text, lots of color, and, most importantly, a transparent background. I have realized that there really is no possible way to export this title alone with a transparent background. I can export as a still frame, I can export as a title that can only be brought back into Premiere later on. What I am trying to do now is find a way to somehow transfer the information of this simple combination of letters, shapes, and colors from the title tool of the video editing software into one of adobe's fully capable graphic design programs. I have PhotoShop, InDesign and Illustrator and have no idea how to use any of them. I sincerely do not wish to recreate this logo in one of these programs as learning to do that is comparable to learning a new language. Please help.

Sincerely,

Confused

• 6. Re: Export text with transparent Background
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jakeh

I have been thinking and thinking about how to obtain a png or pdf file or any file from a prtl file and maintain the transparency in the derivative.

If Premiere Elements is my program, I can create the prtl logo with tranparency in the Titler and export the Timeline file to a QuickTIme file, maintaining the transparency. So, in essence, you have a logo on transparent background file in a movie format Animation.mov (Animation = video compression and .mov = file extension). It works but the file extension is not .png, .psd, pdf, or other. Secret to success is to set the Bit Depth to 32 in the export settings.

The following is a devious way to get around the current impasse (providing the log design co-operates. Here is an outline of the idea.

1. Import your prtl logo into Premiere Elements.

2. Create a Freeze Frame from the Timeline .prtl using Freeze Frame dialog with check mark next to "Edit in Photoshop Elements after inserting". Then click on the "Insert in Movie" button.

3. When Photoshop Elements opens automatically, use the Magic Eraser Tool to remove the black background, leaving only the logo.

4. Photoshop Elements File Menu/Save As and save the logo on transparent background to a .png or .psd file saved to the computer hard drive.

If you do not have Photoshop Elements, then consider use of Premiere Elements Freeze Frame dialog with just a selection of Export. Then take the Freeze Frame from the save location into Photoshop if you have Photoshop and it has the Magic Eraser or its counterpart.

The easy way out is to make due with the .mov export and forget about the Freeze Frame detour.

Please let me know if any of the above helps to resolve the issue.

Thanks.

ATR