6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2015 5:25 AM by resdesign

Getting started with Adobe Edge Animate

davidoffsky

Hello,

I am a flashmaster and I would like to learn Adobe Edge Animate.

I have banners made in Flash Action Script 2 I have to make in HTML5, do you have any tips to start ?

• 1. Re: Getting started with Adobe Edge Animate
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here's one way to get started

Click here

Cheers... Rick

• 2. Re: Getting started with Adobe Edge Animate
            davidoffsky Level 1

Thank you very much

• 3. Re: Getting started with Adobe Edge Animate
              Herbert2001 Level 4

David: before you spend a lot of effort and time in learning Edge Animate, perhaps it is prudent to realize that Adobe seems to have halted all development on Edge Animate. You would be, in short, investing your time in dead software.

Just a heads-up.

Adobe's current plans seem to focus again on integrating this html 5 export in Flash.

• 4. Re: Getting started with Adobe Edge Animate
                davidoffsky Level 1

you are serious ?

• 5. Re: Getting started with Adobe Edge Animate
                  LARV Level 1

Yes, it´s true. And you might also want to check out this board for the 4000 problems that you will encounter when working with Edge. If you plan on doing anything more advanced, like advanced infographics in my case, you´ll encounter your first problem after 5 minutes. After 2 years with Edge I haven´t been able to finish a single project because of all the errors and random bugs that happen all the time. Sure, easier projects like banners and other nonsense is no real problem, but your goals will have to be limited to the problems your project will generate in Edge. Not very optimal to say the least...

It´s sad, Edge could´ve been so great. Now it´s just BS.

• 6. Re: Getting started with Adobe Edge Animate
                    resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As you mentioned LARV it depends on the project. Since I am only doing educational stuff with drag n drop, input, json and other stuff plus additional coding using version 2014.0.1, I have not run into any problem - really and I have over 700 comps to testify to that effect. I know people doing adds prefer to not have to load jquery and that's fine but the 2 latest versions remained too buggy for me to use them in production.

I am still hoping that someone with a better vision will take the development again because as you said this is a very promising software. To what I understand, they did not get enough subscriptions but this is totally their fault since they introduced so many bugs with 2014.1 and later 2015. It is a matter of economics. As for me, I am VERY disappointed. I wish they would sell Edge to some other company and I would definitely follow there because it has been really great tool for what I do.