3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2015 9:32 AM by A.T. Romano

Resizing Movie Menu text items produces unexpected results

victorcharlesiii Level 1

I purchased Premiere Elements 13 about a year ago- so I've been using it for awhile now, and I have to ask- why is it SO difficult to create a custom Movie Menu?? I typically start with the Pan and Zoom template (because it's really the most simple template to begin with, if one wants to use their own graphics, etc. and build a custom menu of their own) and I have a huge gripe about re-sizing the text items on the Main Menu.

Typically, I want to increase the font size of the text elements, because their default sizes look so small on the screen. But here's a typical example of what usually happens: I select an item to resize (ie: the "Scenes" text/link), I change the font size to something like 72pt (after making sure that no other elements are near the text item, to give it room to enlarge) and one of three things will happen: 1) The text will increase in size with no problem (rare) 2) The first letter of the text will resize (ie: the "S" in "Scenes") but the rest of the text will not- and always in this case, once I click somewhere in the menu editor, the text item disappears, just goes away, forcing me to reset the menu and start over 3) The text item disappears, forcing me to reset and start over.

Why is it so difficult to edit these text items? I'm really frustrated- especially since this is version 13- I'm afraid to spend money to purchase 14 because I wonder what kind of real improvements it will have. Menu editing in 13 is a pain in the you-know-what to me, and I just think it should be easier for a user to build a custom DVD menu.

And why, may I ask, does the program not automatically snap-align menu elements when I move elements around while editing the menu? That's a REAL surprise to me, since it's an Adobe product.

• 1. Re: Resizing Movie Menu text items produces unexpected results
          A.T. Romano Level 7

victorcharlesiii

Premiere Elements 13 on what computer operating system? Have you updated 13 to 13.1 yet using a opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

From what you wrote, I am understanding that you encounter the problems with the Pan and Zoom Movie Theme. In the morning morning I will give that a look first hand and report back. What font are you using? Would you say that your movie menu theme customization issues are mostly in the font size and the text for the scene thumbnails on the Scene Selection Page. Or, do the problems extend equally to the main menu also? What size font are you using in the main menu - 72 as well - same font as Scene Selection Page.

The disappearing text are another matter. Are you attempting more than 1 line of text for the Main Menu Title or Scene Selection Page Title?

I see no advantage for you to move from 13/13.1 to 14 for this matter. Premiere Elements 14 (at least Windows) has the same movie menu themes as 13/13.1.

To be continued...

Please consider and supply more information while I look at this.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Resizing Movie Menu text items produces unexpected results
            victorcharlesiii Level 1

I am using Windows 7 64-bit. Yes, I've updated to 13.1.

I'm not changing the font- I'm using what it defaults to, Arial. My customization issues are when I attempt to change the font size of text items on the Main Menu. I typically change the text and text size of the "Play Movie" text item and the "Scenes" item. The text size for those items defaults to 39pt, and I typically try to change them to 72pt- sometimes larger. No, I am not attempting more than 1 line of text for the Main Menu Title or the Scene Selection Page Title. I usually only change the "Play Movie" text to "Play All", and the "Scenes" text to "Episode Selection" or "Video Selection"- and when I try to increase the font size of those items, that is when the text will sometimes disappear.

Here's an example of a buggy experience that occurred just today. When editing the Main Menu, I changed the "Play Movie" text to "play all" and the "Scenes" text to "select video". After that, I changed the font size for "play all" to 72pt. The font size changed properly, BUT, the font size for the "select video" ALSO increased to 72pt- but when I clicked on Preview Disc, the font size for "select video" had not actually changed. So in the Menu editor, it kept showing the larger size but it wasn't really changed. Once I actually changed the font size for "select video", it displayed properly and everything was fine. But, like I said, typically, at least 50% of the time, when I try to change the font size for a text item on the Main Menu, the text will just disappear, and I have to reset. This will also sometimes happen when I change the text for the Main Menu "Movie Title" or "Subtitle" items.

• 3. Re: Resizing Movie Menu text items produces unexpected results
              A.T. Romano Level 7

victorcharlesiii

Thanks for the follow up with additional important troubleshooting information.

I have not been able to reproduce the problem that you describe with my Premiere Elements 13.1 Window 7 64 bit Pan and Zoom Movie Menu theme.

I have some ideas, but before I detail them, let me not take anything for granted...so please excuse the following question...

When you say that the replacement text for Play Movie and Scenes sometimes disappears in the Movie Menu customization area, do you mean that it actually disappears or just fades to gray instead of being white?

As for the other behavior types in this issue....if you have not already, please delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file found in Windows 7 64 bit....

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 13.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path cited.

Please consider.

Thanks.

ATR