11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2015 4:45 PM by RafikiKnowsDeWay

RAM Preview not playing Realtime on new Macbook Pro

Badstack Level 1

Hi Everybody,

I'm having trouble getting after effects to play video back in real time in AE CS6. I am using a brand new 2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina with a dual core 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7 processor and 16GB of RAM. I just made sure that my copy of AE CS6 is up to date with the most recent updates (11.0.4.2), and yet I am unable to play back video or animation in real time using the RAM preview at any size above 25% in the viewer.  If I try to play a 29.976 fps video clip, the framerate maxes out at around 17-18fps. When I press 0 to RAM preview, it starts caching the frames like normal, but even after looping continuously the frame rate doesn't come close to realtime. The audio plays just fine, but the video starts lagging behind immediately. I can't even get a super simple test scene of a keyframed shape layer moving around on screen to play back in RAM preview in real time.

With that said, I can get it to play realtime if I shrink the viewer down to 25%. But obviously I don't want to be limited to working in quarter resolution on a brand new laptop. My last Macbook pro was from 2008 and handled fully scaled RAM previews well, being able to cache the frames and play them back realtime without issue.  I have to assume that maybe there is some function that I am missing or something is going wrong, unless I just grossly overestimated the capabilities of my new laptop.  But surely it should be able to handle simple video playback. I have had no issues using Premiere on this computer, so it can obviously handle video.  Any help you can offer would be much appreciated, as this issue is getting really frustrating!