4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2015 5:36 AM by Eugene Tyson

Continuous two-sided flashcards?

turner111 Level 1

Hi all,

Just wondering if there's a way to create pages of flashcards that fill continuously but also autofill and create pages as needed, so that I can import from another document and create "lots of pages" of flashcards?

I know I can do this manually, but I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to create master text frames of some sort to accommodate this.

thanks,

Andrew

• 1. Re: Continuous two-sided flashcards?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What do you have now? There is potential for using Data Merge or for placing a multipage PDF, but it is going to be VERY complex to set up for a two-sided card.

• 2. Re: Continuous two-sided flashcards?
            turner111 Level 1

Hi Peter -

I don't have anything now!

However... I do know I probably don't want to use ID for word processing initially.

That said, I'd have to tag for styles somehow if I wanted that imported/recognized.

I have a sneaking suspicion there's some relatively straightforward way to do this without plugins like EZ Catalog... Hmm...

Thinking...

• 3. Re: Continuous two-sided flashcards?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This is pretty easy for one card per page, but it gets tricky when you put up multiples because if you fill across the front from left to right you have to fill across the back from right to left. How many cards are you talking about (and how many per page) and what printing method? It might turn out to be less work to do the arrangement manually for a small number, or to let the commercial printer impose a file set up as one-up facing pages like a book (or use an imposing plugin for ID or Acrobat, both of which can be had for reasonable cost).

Can you show us what you have in mind for front and back? Easier to make a concrete suggestion with a real idea of the content.

• 4. Re: Continuous two-sided flashcards?
                Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here's one I made for a A0 Boards.

It will only work in the new version of InDesign as I used Paragraph Shading

The background changes per word as described by its style

The paragraph styles are set to trigger the Next Style when adding more pages

Just make sure to use the Style named "Master"

Keep adding to the end by hitting return and inserting a new word.

Or import your own list, copy and paste the entire list. Select all and Right Click the Master Style and choose to Apply Style and Next Style.

Have fun

http://www.filedropper.com/test_60