9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2015 10:52 AM by hayleyl2635040

Exporting on Lightroom for Retina Display

hayleyl2635040

I edit my photos on Lightroom on a Retina Display MAC, and the images look perfect when editing. However, the second I export, I don't know what happens? They export goes straight to my desktop (so it doesn't happen due to uploading them to a website,) and they are not clear at all. Anyone know how I can solve this issue?

Here are my export settings:

Export.png

• 1. Re: Exporting on Lightroom for Retina Display
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi hayleyl

Which version of Lightroom are you using?

Uncheck "Resize to Fit" check mark.

Then open the Exported image in Photoshop(if installed)

Regards

~Akash

• 2. Re: Exporting on Lightroom for Retina Display
            Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Scroll to the top of the Export dialog, where you will see Export location - choose the folder you want to export to.

You have set the size to 620 px, which isn't very much, under Image Sizing, and you have not applied any output sharpening.

When you do an export, you should consider what the purpose is of the export, and apply settings in the Export dialog accordingly.

Like setting the size in pixels for images intended for screen viewing, and in inches/cm for print, usually with 300 ppi.

You also have various Output sharpening settings, depending on the type of output.

• 3. Re: Exporting on Lightroom for Retina Display
              hayleyl2635040 Level 1

I am using the latest version of Lightroom through Creative Cloud. I actually do end up using these images on a website, where the width for all photos is 620. Is there a way I can still achieve the look of the photos I want without unchecking that box?

• 4. Re: Exporting on Lightroom for Retina Display
                hayleyl2635040 Level 1

Ohhh, ok, so if I uncheck the resize box, I would just have to save it through photoshop for the high quality photo?

• 5. Re: Exporting on Lightroom for Retina Display
                  hayleyl2635040 Level 1

Unfortunately, the sharpening option makes just the slightest difference, but not enough to where it's a nice- high quality looking photo.

• 6. Re: Exporting on Lightroom for Retina Display
                    Ohhh, ok, so if I uncheck the resize box, I would just have to save it through photoshop for the high quality photo?

This will not solve your problem.

Retina displays have tiny pixels - so web browsers scale web pages (including images) up - to 200% size, when they notice that the display is of the Retina type. If they didn't, everything would be tiny, and text would often be unreadable.

Because the images are scaled up, they loose definition. If you view the web page on a regular display, your images probably look OK.

Not much you can do about this, unless the website offers support for @2x images, that are twice the resolution of the regular image.

You would then use two versions of every image - one named image.jpg - the other image@2x.jpg.

Web browsers will display the @2x image for Retina displays, if the website is set up for it.

• 7. Re: Exporting on Lightroom for Retina Display
                      hayleyl2635040 Level 1

Yes, on a non retina display computer, my photos look exactly as they do in Lightroom. No pixelation/blurriness.

My web developer is currently working on adding a plug-in & some coding to my website to allow for the images to appear normal on retina display. So the website isn't really my concern.

Mainly, I just want to know what I have to do to at least have my photos look normal when I simply double click and open the photo straight from my desktop, after exporting. So being that I still have to keep the width at 620 px, is there anything else that can be done? Would I need to increase the resolution for pixels per inch?

• 8. Re: Exporting on Lightroom for Retina Display

I don't use a Mac, but my guess is that the app that you're using to view the images on your own computer scales them up.

Lightroom, Photoshop, and Bridge will all show them correctly - one image pixel to one display pixel at 100% view.

There are probably other Mac apps that you can use that don't use scaling as well.

As for ppi - it doesn't affect viewing an image - it only comes into play when printing.

It makes no difference whether ppi is set to 1 or 1000.

• 9. Re: Exporting on Lightroom for Retina Display
                          hayleyl2635040 Level 1

So I just tried unchecking the box that resizes it, and that seemed to fix my problem. (Which is weird to me that, that was the issue, lol.)  When I upload it to my website, I just resize it there, and it looks perfectly fine. Thanks for the tips and help!