12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2015 7:28 PM by Edit1

Premiere Pro CC 2015 Mercury Playback Playback Issue GTX 980

Bpope23

I just built a new system. Here are my specs:

I7 5820k (OC to 4.2)

Asus X99 Extreme 4

16gb DDR4 Ram

Geforce 980 2

WD 650 Black Drive (Raid 0) (Project Files)

2 WD 2 TB Drive 1 External

1TB ESATA (Video Previews)

Windows 10

I'm having trouble with 4K playback with GH4 files and Phantom 3 Pro 4K with Premiere Pro CC 2015. I can playback at full resolution and it will start to drop frames with Mercury Playback enabled . DJI Phantom 3 Pro 4K files drops frames at full, 1/2 res, and 1/4 resolution around 5 seconds into the clip, it drops frames. Any settings I can change? 12042797_751393520791_2698699487653002777_n.jpg

I installed the CUDA 7.5 dev. kit. And updated to GPU-z 0.8.5. CUDA is now enabled. I deleted all preview files and started fresh. Same thing. With software playback, I can scrub and play 4K files just fine at full resolution.  When I enable mercury playback (cuda), it's choppy and drops frames.  What's going on here? 

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2015 Mercury Playback Playback Issue GTX 980
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What I see is "WD 650 Black Drive (Raid 0) (Project Files)"  What in the world is this?  I cannot find anything in a web search that makes any sense.  Also I guess your motherboard is actually an Asrock X99 Extreme 4 which means that you have an M.2 PCIe x4 socket on it.  Get modern and Get yourself a Samsung 951 or the new Samsung 950 Pro M.2 device when it becomes available mid-month and use this for your project files.

Have you turned off indexing on your hard drives?

Have you tuned you OS to eliminate unnecessary processes running?

There is no logical reason to have the CUDA software development kit installed

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2015 Mercury Playback Playback Issue GTX 980
            Bpope23 Level 1

Sorry, that's 2 Western Digital Black Drives in a RAID 0.  So why is software playback, plays everything back smooth, GH4 4K MOV and Phantom 3 4K MP4 no problem at all, but when I enable Mercury Playback Engine, the Phantom 3 4K MP4 files are choppy and immediately drop frames?

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2015 Mercury Playback Playback Issue GTX 980

Software playback is a good indication that your CPU is performing properly.  When you have two GPU's they process alternate frames so there is a lot of switching going on.and if the disk setup is slightly marginal it might cause that. 

Have you tested the disk drive array to see what the performance really is?  How full is the array?  Again do you have indexing turned off?

Here are the Samsung SM951 test results in my X99 system

SM951-Motherboard CDM 5.png

Sometimes synthetic benchmarks like the above do not reflect real application performance but in this case our PPBM testing with our disk intensive benchmark I actually get a write speed out of Premiere of 1545 MB/s

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2015 Mercury Playback Playback Issue GTX 980
                JFPhoton Level 3

....in addition to Bill's comments, 16GB of system memory is considered small by current standards and maybe causing an issue with 4K files. Currently, the MINIMUM recommended is 32 GB system memory and better to have 64GB, especially if using After Effects.

Take Bill's advice and get the new Samsung 950pro NVMe PCI SSD when it comes out to drastically improve the speed of what you are doing.  Really, you should have OS,programs, and windows page file ONLY on a fast SATA III SSD that should be your boot drive. ALL ELSE should go on the new 950 pro PCI SSD, ( i.e. video files, previews, media cache , cache, project files, and exports). THEN because the capacity of that PCI SSD will be limited, you must use conventional large hard drives to safely OFFLOAD all the necessary files you want to keep AFTER you are done working.  You wont need a RAID array for that, large enterprise level hard drives are available for cheap that run at over 200MB/sec. with a cache of 128MB to serve as an archive,or, back up.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2015 Mercury Playback Playback Issue GTX 980
                  Bpope23 Level 1

Thank you for all your help.  So I did a benchmark test on my WD Black 640gb 7200rpm drive (RAID 0) and got this:

Video Drive Benchmark.PNG

I forgot to mention I have a Samsung 850 Pro 512gb for all my program files.  I did a benchmark test and got this:

Samsung 850 Benchmark.PNG

So again, I can playback GH4 4K 100mpbs files from my western digital drive and it plays fine.  Full resolution with Mercury Playback installed.  Indexing is turned off.  However, DJI Phantom 3 4K files are 60mbps, is it maybe because the Phantom 3 4K files are more compressed and the GPU has a hard time processing the frames?  I'm getting dropped frames even in 1/8 resolution with the Phantom files.  However, with software enabled, the DJI files play fine, full resolution. 

I even moved one DJI phantom files to my SSD drive and tried to playback from it and it did the same thing. 

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2015 Mercury Playback Playback Issue GTX 980

How full is the WD 640 drive?  As Hard Disk drives get full your the performance drops to half or less than the Crystal Disk shows.  It is not the same with SSD's   You might try moving the Media Cache folders/files also to the SSD.

Get one of the SM951's or wait until early in December for the newer Samsung 950 Pro drive and use the M.2 socket on your motherboard

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB (NVMe) PCI Express 3.0 x4 M.2 80mm SSD (ETA: First Week of November, 2015)

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2015 Mercury Playback Playback Issue GTX 980
                      Bpope23 Level 1

Thanks Bill for your input.  Right now this is how I have my hard drives set up:

Samsung 850 Pro SSD - C: Drive (Programs)

(2) Western Digital Black 640 (RAID 0) for backup - Video Files/Project Files

Western Digital Black 1TB DRive - Media Cache

Western Digital Black 1TB DRive - Esata External - Video Preview/Audio Preview/Exports

So your saying upgrade to 32gb of RAM and get a M.2 drive?  @JFPhoton Mentioned that I can put video files, previews, media cache , cache, project files, and exports all on this M.2 drive? 

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2015 Mercury Playback Playback Issue GTX 980

My current X99 64 GB i7-5960X system configuration

1. Samsung 840 Pro--Boot/Applications/Default Adobe Media folders (now-days it would be an 850 Pro)
                        2. SM951--Adobe Projects/Media/Preview Files (rarely ever used).
                        3. Samsung T1 USB 3.0 edited Projects from my laptop for Exporting into delivery format to the SM951
                        4. External eSATA docking station to access old files and archiving new files
                        • 9. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2015 Mercury Playback Playback Issue GTX 980
                          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Are you recording in Mov or MP4? Try converting the media to DNxHR and see how the playback is.

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2015 Mercury Playback Playback Issue GTX 980
                            Bpope23 Level 1

Fixed it! So I just deleted the Geforce GTX 980, drivers, and everything. Then I reinstalled the new 358.50 drivers and followed this link about enabling the CUDA drivers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5UaOIqqFX0. Got everything installed, launched premiere cc 2015, said a prayer, hit play at full res on the Phantom 3 4k file, and playback smooth as butter. 

I don't know what was going on but I'm not touching anything.  I can scrub and no dropped frames.  Thanks for everyone's help and I'll look in to getting that new SM951. 

Is there a big difference between the SM951 and the new Samsung 950 Pro drive M.2 drive?

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2015 Mercury Playback Playback Issue GTX 980

Currently the only difference is the SM951 is available and tested, while the 950 PRO is not yet available and not tested in our (Premiere) environment.  Unless Samsung drops the prices on the SM951 when the 950 Pro comes out then it may be a no-brainer to by the 950 Pro with its longer lifetime warranty  It would not surprise me if there is no write performance change between the two.  If there is a significant price drop on the SM951 when the 950 PRO is released that might be the deciding factor for many of us.

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2015 Mercury Playback Playback Issue GTX 980
                                Edit1

950 Pro is NVMe and retail, whereas SM951 is AHCI and OEM. Performance of the 950 Pro will likely be better because of NVMe, as evidenced by SM951-NVMe (the NVMe version of the SM-951 that never hit the markets): Samsung SM951-NVMe (256GB) PCIe SSD Review