5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2015 9:49 AM by Per Berntsen

Why do I lose my edits after catalog upgrade for LR6?

lucys26135902 Level 1

Hi there,

Any help or guidance much appreciated on this!

I've just set up a new machine and downloaded the most recent version of LR CC. Having already started work on a catalog on my older machine using LR 5.7, I wanted to continue the edit... so I backed up the catalog (it's on an external HD), opened it on the new machine, LR CC launches and asks me to allow it to upgrade the catalog.

Once the catalog opens, having been upgraded, my images are all there... and for a moment the edited images appear as they should, but literally as I am watching - each edited image reverts back to it's raw unedited state! The edit history still shows my previous edits but the edit itself has been lost from the image.

Is there something I'm missing?? Or is this a bug in the upgrade process?

Would greatly appreciate any help asap as I'm losing valuable time trying to figure it out... only option I can currently see is to start from scratch and re-edit, but surely this isn't right?!

Many thanks!

• 1. Re: Why do I lose my edits after catalog upgrade for LR6?
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

If you open an image in Develop, which step in History is highlighted?

And can you click on the one at the top and then see all your previous edits?

• 2. Re: Why do I lose my edits after catalog upgrade for LR6?
            lucys26135902 Level 1

Thanks for replying Per!  The most recent step is highlighted... and yet the look of that edit on my previous machine is lost / not the same. Weirdly, I just clicked through each edit step in the history and the images changes each time but it does result in the original edit finish! No idea what's going on. Having just had a further play with the previously edited images, it seems that actually the adjustments are there, according to the sliders, but the finished look is much lighter and less warm - as if the adjustments have changed, but they haven't!

Not sure if this is worth mentioning but I currently have 'automatically write changes in XMP' unchecked, as I'd read this could be part of the problem. Would prefer to have this on, so that my edits going forward are safer, but do you happen to know if turning this back on will affect anything adversely?

Thanks for your help, and apologies that I'm probably not making much sense... it's an odd issue that's baffling me a bit!

• 3. Re: Why do I lose my edits after catalog upgrade for LR6?

I don't think XMP has anything to do with this, since the edits are always stored in the catalog.

And the image you see briefly after importing is a jpg preview that is replaced with the raw file as soon as it has rendered.

Did you by any chance buy a new monitor as well? Or is this a laptop?

In both cases you should calibrate the monitor with a hardware calibrator, and see if it fixes the issue.

Edit: A new computer with the same monitor would also require calibration, because the graphics card will be different.

A new OS might cause problems too.

• 4. Re: Why do I lose my edits after catalog upgrade for LR6?
                lucys26135902 Level 1

Hey Per.. ok thanks for that, really helpful! Was starting to wonder that too - moved from a MBP attached to 27" thunderbolt screen (calibrated) over to a 27" retaina iMac. New graphics card... new screen... could try calibrating but was under the impression the retina iMac's were pretty spot on out of the box. The odd thing is that the edited finish I expect to see if there for a few moments, and then the image sort of reloads, and looks different! As if some sort of auto adjustment is going on...

Not too much of a problem going forward, but a bit of a pain if I want to re-export anything from an old catalog - do you happen to know if I can run LR 5.7 and LRCC on the same machine? Thinking I could keep 5.7 around, for re-tweaking or re-exporting older catalogs and use the new CC version for new edits...?

• 5. Re: Why do I lose my edits after catalog upgrade for LR6?

When it comes to calibration, I wouldn't take anything for granted. You have the tools, so you should try it.

And LR tends to be very picky about the monitor profile - it could be that it doesn't like the canned profile from Apple.

You can install and use LR5 on the new machine, but as you probably know LR5 cannot open an LR6 catalog.

And I'd be very surprised if LR5 and LR6 would display the same image differently on the same computer.