5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2015 11:50 AM by Szalam

Can you extend a composition by duplicating it within the same project

cadwallader55

Probably best if I describe the problem and perhaps you might be able to comment on if it is possible. Firstly I am not the worlds leading expert on AE. Anyway I have purchased a template which has a main composition composed of many sub compositions. Each sub composition has words you can alter. The project is currently 1 min long - I want the contents to be  2 min long. I was hoping to to duplicate the original comp within the same project file, alter one set of text then the other and finally assemble the 2 comps in a master comp file (all within the same project). The duplicated comps are not coping with this idea as the sub comps in each folder have the same names and altering one file is also updating the other.

Is what I'm trying to do possible or is there a better way to get a 2 min comp? I might add that all of the sub comps have sub comps which have sub comps so renaming all of the associated files would be very hard. Thanks in advance for any sensible advice.

• 1. Re: Can you extend a composition by duplicating it within the same project
          cadwallader55 Level 1

Stand down people all is solved. Top tips all...

• 2. Re: Can you extend a composition by duplicating it within the same project
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is a forum, not a chat room, so sometimes it can take a while for an answer. Sorry about that. I come in here to help when I have free time. Unfortunately, I was under a heavy deadline today. I'm waiting for a computer to boot right now so I can fire off an overnight render to the render farm so I figured I'd pop in real quick to answer questions.

Fortunately, you already found your answer!

Unfortunately for future forum-goers, you didn't share your answer. However, I'll give the suggestions I would have given to you so that they will have something to go on.

There are multiple ways to do what he's asking for.

• You could save the project file with a different name, do the changes in the new version and then, once rendered, you can place those two video files together in Premiere to make them one solid video.
            • You could import the project twice in a new project and drop both main comps in the same composition together.
            • There's the TrueComp Duplicator script that would duplicate everything and rename it for you.
            • 3. Re: Can you extend a composition by duplicating it within the same project
              cadwallader55 Level 1

I have been officially shamed Szalam. No only on the grounds of my tongue in cheek remark but for not posting the solution as you say and for your lengthy and helpful response. I shall wear the hair shirt for the rest of the day. My solution was to duplicate the main file and, working empirically, try to see cause and effect. The final solution is not easy to describe but involved duplicating comps, renaming them, changing the words I wanted to include, checking the differences between the original comp, duplicating more sub comps, renaming them, checking the difference between the original and the duplicate. Eventually I hit on a workflow of duplicating, renaming, substituting. This was made much harder to decrypt as it was a purchased template and you have to work out how it was assembled in the first place. Its a bit of a bind but you do learn a lot from studying other peoples files. I was going to try your suggestion in Premier but I have about 10 of these to do over the next 5 months so wanted to get one master file working that did the job. I will try suggestion 2 tonight out of curiosity as this again will be a great thing for the future if I can get it to work. The third idea is what I was hoping AE would have built in but sounds like the exact solution I was looking for. I will again investigate this. Many thanks for taking the time between work - if its any consolation I didn't finish making the master file until 12. BTW what render farm do you use? I used to use Respower but they look like they are out of business. Cheers man.

• 4. Re: Can you extend a composition by duplicating it within the same project
                cadwallader55 Level 1

Just looked at true comp and it is exactly what I wanted. Great news. Many thanks. Simon

• 5. Re: Can you extend a composition by duplicating it within the same project
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

cadwallader55 wrote:

BTW what render farm do you use?

I have one at work and one at home that I put together myself. I was referring to the one at work in my previous post.