12 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2017 1:34 AM by andrews98108186

Import duplicates

NikonJohn

The latest update to LR doesn't provide the option to import duplicates of images.  There is certainly no block to check on the right of the import screen.

• 1. Re: Import duplicates
          dj_paige Level 9

Yes, this is a change in LR 6.2/LR CC 2015.2.

Why do you want to import duplicates? This is not recommended and usually only winds up causing additional problems.

• 2. Re: Import duplicates
            Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi NikonJohn,

The option "Don't import suspected Duplicates" has been removed from the user interface and it has been to added to the coding itself, which will not allow you to import the suspected duplicates.

Paige Miller has provided you with the correct information. This is not a recommended workflow of Lightroom to import duplicates.

~Mrinmay

• 3. Re: Import duplicates
              Tanja2014 Level 2

i don´t know why someone wants to import duplicates (i guess some HAVE a reason) but why LR has to baby sit it´s users is beyond me....

is this a mobil user thing, do adobe has to protect them from themself?

is this the way it´s going now with LR?

• 4. Re: Import duplicates
                NikonJohn Level 1

dj - In this case I wanted to pare down my jpegs to a few and post them on photobucket.  At least to me it was easier to have a separate folder named Photobucket jpegs with the 5 duplicate images in it pared down from the original 71 images that I will keep for good.  Now big brother has decided no more duplicate images - jeez.  I've been able to manage any duplicates I've created since I first purchased LR as a stand-alone 5 or so years ago and would still like to have that option without renaming the images.  Oh well, I guess that's progress.  Looks like it is back to the previous version of LR for me.   

• 5. Re: Import duplicates
                  dj_paige Level 9

But there are plenty of other tools that will allow you to do this, including collections and publish services. Instead of going backwards to a solution that requires more work (importing twice, plus the effort of installing an earlier version of Lightroom), why not move forward and select a tool that requires less work (importing once)?

• 6. Re: Import duplicates
                    Tanja2014 Level 2

dj_paige schrieb:

But there are plenty of other tools that will allow you to do this, including collections and publish services. Instead of going backwards to a solution that requires more work (importing twice), why not move forward and select a tool that requires less work (importing once)?

well everyone has it´s point.

but how would you feel if someone suddenly forces you to use HIS workflow?

• 7. Re: Import duplicates
                      johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                      The latest update to LR doesn't provide the option to import duplicates of images. 

Please add your vote and detailed opinion to this topic in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Restore features removed from Import in LR 6.2 / CC 2015.2. The more people vote with a detailed opinion, the more likely Adobe might pay attention.

• 8. Re: Import duplicates
                        PhilM oz

So because someone at Adobe could not think of a use-case for importing duplicates you decide to remove the feature for everyone!!!!!!!!!

Here's a tip for you - print this very large and pin it up at all your developers, designers and managers desks.

IT IS NOT OK TO DUMB DOWN THE PROGRAM AND REMOVE FEATURES - EVER.

Here's a use-case for you to prove my point.

I'm trying to catalog years of images entered into photo club competitions. The same images can be entered into many comps in different categories.

The directory structure and saved images already exist, I can't change this (nor would I want do).

I want to be able to import the entire directory structure so I can quickly see where an image has been used (year, comp etc).

This brain-dead decision by Adobe means I can't import and manage this information in Lightroom.

You tout LR as a 'Digital Asset Management' system, then go and do something moronic like this.

• 9. Re: Import duplicates
                          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Your description of your use is exactly the kind of feedback that is most valuable -- please be sure to add it, along with your vote, to the topic in the official Adobe feedback forum: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/new-update-6-2.  While Adobe has said they will be "restoring import workflows" and restoring "the previous import experience" in the next release, it's not clear how that will work out in practice.  So your feedback is still important.

• 10. Re: Import duplicates
                            DuaneIndeed

Importing duplicates has many use cases, and I am dismayed at the narrow thinking of some of the earlier posts that suggested it was a useless feature.

Here is one use case that I have: I am the recipient of thousands (31,728) of family photo files that have been shared and circulating in diverging paths for years.  Many of the files have metadata embedded in each file, or have implied metadata derived from their folder structures.  My goal is to rationalize and enrich the metadata by merging data from each of the duplicates.  When I am finished, I will no longer have dupes.  Some of the dupes come from multiple image scans of copies same old dusty photos, but most are from family members emailing files or handing out CDs at family reunions.  Some individuals got motivated and used brand x/y/z photo organizers to tag the photos, or they just got creative with folder names.  It is a mess, and I am sure disappointed that Lightroom can't help me out, especially since this feature WAS in Lightroom just a few months ago.

• 11. Re: Import duplicates
                              Lynx9

Hi Mrinmay,

I had to cancel an import while it was in progress and so I deleted the catalog and collection it was in, making sure all dng files were removed, and only the original raw files were left  - on my SD card. I went back in to re-import it and LR won't let me import 52 images, because it says they have already been imported. I'm fine with all the other images, except for the 52. I tried looking up these images through LR search function but to no avail. I have also tried searching for the files on my computer via Finder but none of the files that LR says have "already been imported" exist.

Duplicating the files on import seemed like the most convenient thing to do, however, is there a way to locate the already imported files?