8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2016 2:36 PM by Szalam

Anyway to change the selected keyframes color?

stens39960801

Anyway to change the selected key frame color in comp window in AE CC15. The default is really difficult to see (in CS6 it was yellow). Have a complex comp with many key frames spread over multiple layers and keep making mistakes as selected key frames now appear so similar to deselected. Maybe it's my monitor!

• 1. Re: Anyway to change the selected keyframes color?
          Mathias Moehl Adobe Community Professional

As far as I know you can only adjust the overall brightness of the UI and the brightness of the "interactive controls". But the selected keyframes do not seem to be part of the "interactive controls". You find everything you can adjust in the UI in preferences->appearance

• 2. Re: Anyway to change the selected keyframes color?
            stens39960801 Level 1

Hi Mathias.

Yes, I thought that was probably the case, I had tried going thru preferences menu. Just have to live with it- maybe in CC16......

Thanks for the rapid reply.

• 3. Re: Anyway to change the selected keyframes color?
              ericsbowman Level 1

I used to have a discussion on the forum with a "solution" to this problem. Apparently a moderator took the discussion down, which is very disheartening. I made a set of keyframe icons and you can easily replace them by doing this. Just make sure you backup the folder first. Adobe told the community for many months that the changes to the UI were very complicated and there was no easy fix, promised updates and customization, yet we still have yet to see this. Try the following if you can't stand the blue keyframes. Took me all of 5-10 minutes to figure out how to do this:

For those who want to try this, close AE CC 2015 (or AE CC 2014) and proceed:

1. Make a backup of the PNG folder found at /Applications/Adobe After Effects CC 2015/Adobe After Effects CC 2015.app/Contents/Frameworks/AfterFXLib.framework/Versions/A/Resources/png
              2. Download my files here. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71481/AE/YellowKeyframes.zip
                1. This zip file contains PSDs and PNGs for ONLY the keyframe selected icons used in the timeline. You can find lots more in the png folder listed in step 1 if you want to customize other UI items.
              3. Copy all of the pngs from my zip file, and paste them into the png folder /Applications/Adobe After Effects CC 2015/Adobe After Effects CC 2015.app/Contents/Frameworks/AfterFXLib.framework/Versions/A/Resources/png
                1. It will prompt you to replace existing files. If you have created a backup of the png files already, just replace all of the pngs.
              4. Launch AE CC 2014 or AE CC 2015. Enjoy yellow keyframes.

Couple of notes: Adobe may disagree with what I'm explaining above and might even advise against it. I understand if they do, but I've been using it for hours and it seems to be a perfectly harmless solution. It should be known that this is merely a temporary solution to our problem, and the very next update will most likely overwrite the files I'm replacing. However, it seems to be easy enough to just save a copy and replace them again if Adobe fails to find a more permanent solution to this problem on the next update. Finally, I have copied and pasted the exact same PNGs into my AE CC 2014 app as well and can confirm that it works there as well.

• 4. Re: Anyway to change the selected keyframes color?
                stens39960801 Level 1

Hi Eric.

Thank you for telling me about this. Sounds like an excellent solution to this problem, glad I'm not the only one who finds the selected keyframe colour insufficiently different. I was having to pick apart a project with lots of time-remapped layers and it was a nightmare!

I'm not in front of AE at the moment but will try this out on Monday.

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Sten

• 5. Re: Anyway to change the selected keyframes color?
                  ericsbowman Level 1

Mark my post as the answer if you don't mind. Would like others to see that first. Good luck

• 6. Re: Anyway to change the selected keyframes color?
                    AEcko

In windows looks impossible, at least in CC 2017. I modified the AfterFXLib.dll content with Resource Tunner and changed the .png, .svg and .xml files but no keyframe color changed. Looks like Adobe use external .svg files to define the color of keyframes, if someone archieve a good result tell us here please. I think that some programmer can change better the files in the .dll file and find a correct solution.

• 7. Re: Anyway to change the selected keyframes color?
                      ericsbowman Level 1

While I still hate the blue for selected keyframes, the 2017 update seems to have saturated the blue a bit more. I can differentiate the color of the keyframe much better than in 2015. Yellow (or user defined) would still be better however.

We all need to submit feedback so that the Adobe team hears us. Here's a link: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Also, I wasn't aware it was so easy to access inside After Effects. Just go to Help > Send Feedback.

• 8. Re: Anyway to change the selected keyframes color?
                        Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And you can control how the blue looks in the preferences a bit as well.