4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2006 6:07 AM by Newsgroup_User

find and replace color

pkids Level 1
      Hi,
      I am running Fireworks MX 2004 and can't get the Find and Replace Color function to work.

I go select the layer I want to edit, I go to the Find panel, I have "search document" and "find color" selected. I select the color I want it to find (using the eyedropper to sample from the photo), and the color I want it replaced with, and I have "Apply to: All properties" selected. The buttons available to me are "Find" and "Replace All." "Replace" is grayed out. Clicking either Find or Replace All generates a "Search complete" message, but nothing happens.

I've never been able to get Find and Replace to work, but now I actually need this function. Can anyone help me understand where I'm going wrong?

Thank you.
        • 1. Re: find and replace color
          Level 7
          This function only works on vectors, not bitmaps, and possibly the
          canvas color.

HTH

--
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          Extending Knowledge, Daily
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

pkids wrote:
          > Hi,
          > I am running Fireworks MX 2004 and can't get the Find and Replace Color
          > function to work.
          >
          > I go select the layer I want to edit, I go to the Find panel, I have "search
          > document" and "find color" selected. I select the color I want it to find
          > (using the eyedropper to sample from the photo), and the color I want it
          > replaced with, and I have "Apply to: All properties" selected. The buttons
          > available to me are "Find" and "Replace All." "Replace" is grayed out. Clicking
          > either Find or Replace All generates a "Search complete" message, but nothing
          > happens.
          >
          > I've never been able to get Find and Replace to work, but now I actually need
          > this function. Can anyone help me understand where I'm going wrong?
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          • 2. Re: find and replace color
            pkids Level 1
            oh good grief! <insert sheepish look HERE> Thanks for letting me know!
            • 3. Re: find and replace color
              Level 7
              pkids wrote:
              > oh good grief! <insert sheepish look HERE> Thanks for letting me know!

Smiles. No problem.

--
              Jim Babbage - .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.

Community MX
              Extending Knowledge, Daily
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
              • 4. Re: find and replace color
                Level 7
                remember that in a bitmap file there are a possible 16 million plus colors.
                Find and Replace Color probably works but your eyedropper is only finding
                one pixel of color to replace. This is why it works best on vector graphics
                (because you probably have every pixel in an area the same color) and on
                canvases (because all pixels in a canvas are the same color)

"pkids" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:ejlfta$d4a$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Hi,
                > I am running Fireworks MX 2004 and can't get the Find and Replace Color
                > function to work.
                >
                > I go select the layer I want to edit, I go to the Find panel, I have
                > "search
                > document" and "find color" selected. I select the color I want it to find
                > (using the eyedropper to sample from the photo), and the color I want it
                > replaced with, and I have "Apply to: All properties" selected. The buttons
                > available to me are "Find" and "Replace All." "Replace" is grayed out.
                > Clicking
                > either Find or Replace All generates a "Search complete" message, but
                > nothing
                > happens.
                >
                > I've never been able to get Find and Replace to work, but now I actually
                > need
                > this function. Can anyone help me understand where I'm going wrong?
                >
                > Thank you.
                >