14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2015 8:53 PM by lilthea

This is a Premiere Elements 8 question - I can't get it to open.

lilthea Level 1

Hi,

Some years ago I purchased Premiere Elements 8.  I had it on my desktop and my laptop computers.  Both of those computers died and I was unable to deactivate PE8.  I download PE8 for my new computers and I have the serial number.  The screen comes up with Open Project and New Project but it doesn't open and further.  What can I do, if anything?

Thanks

• 1. Re: This is a Premiere Elements 8 question - I can't get it to open.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What operating system are you running it on?

Were you able to activate it with your serial number? Generally the program refuses to install after two active installations.

• 2. Re: This is a Premiere Elements 8 question - I can't get it to open.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

lilthea

What computer operating system is involved?

Have you gone through the usual Premiere Elements 8 drill

1. Are you working from the 8.0.1 Update

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.1 update

2. Have you disabled the automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer features? See Premiere Elements Edit Menu/Preferences/General and Elements Organizer Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalyzer Options respectively.

3. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

4. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements? And, are you running the programs from a user account with administrative privileges?

5. Are you working with an active Internet connection?

Let us start here.

Please review, consider, and give more information. Any questions or need clarification on anything written, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: This is a Premiere Elements 8 question - I can't get it to open.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

lilthea

Add On to my post numbered 2....

Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: This is a Premiere Elements 8 question - I can't get it to open.
                lilthea Level 1

No, I haven't gone through the drill as I have forgotten what I was supposed to do.  I was hoping you would see this question and instruct me on what to do.

I have Windows 10 and my graphics card is up to date.  I need to do #1, #2, and #4 and I will get back to you.

Thanks for answering.

• 5. Re: This is a Premiere Elements 8 question - I can't get it to open.
                  lilthea Level 1

I have Windows 10.  I was able to install it and it accepted my serial number.

Thanks for responding.  I have a few things to do and will see what happens.

• 6. Re: This is a Premiere Elements 8 question - I can't get it to open.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

lilthea

Thanks for the follow up.

Just some just in case notes...

1. Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 is supported by Windows 10 Home and Pro 64 bit. I have been there and done that.

2. Apple has a problem with the latest version of QuickTime 7 and Windows 10. Until that is resolved, please use QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows 10.

It is not the latest version (which is 7.7.8), but it does work to meet the Premiere Elements QuickTime 7 requirement. Please use the following link for QuickTime 7.7.6.

QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

3. The 8.0.1 Update should disable the automatic Background Rendering feature which is set by default as enable in Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

You need to do the AutoAnalzyer disabling yourself...go to the Elements Organizer workspace and its Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalyzer Options and disable everything under that AutoAnalzyer designation.

4. There can be a problem with MPEG2 Activation in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and earlier. So, please try to stay online for now getting Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 working.

We will be watching for further developments as your schedule permits.

ATR

Add On...I have never run into the situation where Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 or other would not be activated or open based on a number.

• 7. Re: This is a Premiere Elements 8 question - I can't get it to open.
                      lilthea Level 1

Thanks for the update on QuickTime, I was just discovering that it was a problem.  Will try your link.

• 8. Re: This is a Premiere Elements 8 question - I can't get it to open.
                        lilthea Level 1

I completed all of the list are downloaded PE 8 again without a firewall and anti-virus.  Now I get an error message:

Licensing for this product has stopped working.

This product has encountered a problem which requires that you restart your computer before it can be launched. (I restarted it and received the same error message.)

If you continue to see this message after restarting your computer, please contact either your IT administrator or Adobe technical support for help, and mention the error code shown at the bottom of this screen.

Error 1

http://www.adobe.com/suppport/

I have not contacted Adobe support yet as I understand that PE 8 is no longer being supported.

• 9. Re: This is a Premiere Elements 8 question - I can't get it to open.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

lilthea

Thanks for the update.

Please try the Adobe Licensing Repair Tool as a first try to resolve your error message

Adobe - Adobe Licensing Repair Tool

Right now Adobe support is via its Adobe Chat which has been described as for latest version.

Please let us know if the Adobe Licensing Repair Tool resolved the current issue. If not, please let us know the status of the error message, and we will consider what next.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...If necessary, I will re-install Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 on Windows 10 Home 64 bit and watch for any problems in doing that at this time with recent Windows Updates et al.

• 10. Re: This is a Premiere Elements 8 question - I can't get it to open.
                            lilthea Level 1

I downloaded the Licensing Repair Tool, ran it and then tried to open PE 8 and received the same error message.  I rebooted and tried to open PE 8 and still received error message.  I re ran the repair tool and still get the error message.

I will be away from the computer for the rest of the day but will check in this evening.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

• 11. Re: This is a Premiere Elements 8 question - I can't get it to open.
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

lilthea

Thanks for the update.

Still on the focus of Adobe Licensing, please review and consider the following Adobe document solutions for this type of problem

Error: "Licensing has stopped working" | Windows

The above link includes the Adobe Licensing Repair Tool, but also other suggested solutions.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

If it comes to it, we could also evaluate new installation files using the following web site's Premiere Elements 8 installation files. During installation, you can insert your purchased serial number.

Direct Download Links for Lightroom 3 and Photoshop Elements 8 | ProDesignTools

The link does not mention Premiere Elements 8, but the installation files for Premiere Elements 8 are there.

• 12. Re: This is a Premiere Elements 8 question - I can't get it to open.
                                lilthea Level 1

I went to the link you gave for licensing stopped working.  This is what happened:

I used the licensing repair tool and it didn't work the first time so I followed the instructions (rebooting and repeating, etc.) and the error message still came up.

I set the FLEXnet Licensing Service to Manual and started the service and then tried to start PE8.  I had about 2 seconds of the splash screen and it disappeared and the error message showed up.  What was interesting was that when I when to repeat it (which I did a few times), while it was still set at manual, it was in the stopped position.  This happened whether I checked immediately after I started it or waited until after I had tried to open PE8.  In fact, it was already set to manual.

I did not receive the error "error 5, access denied" and I did not change the name of the FLEXnet file, etc.

By the way, I still am making menus with the instructions you gave me for the DVDs and they work beautifully. Thank you again for taking the time to help me.

• 13. Re: This is a Premiere Elements 8 question - I can't get it to open.
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

lilthea

Thanks for the updates. Appreciated.

Is there anything more left to do with that Adobe document on Licensing? If not, consider clean up the computer and trying to install from the tryout files mentioned in post 11. You would download and install them and insert your purchased serial number during installation. That site is the only one that I can find that offers installation files that go to earlier than 9.0/9.0.1. The key to success with that is to read the web site's "Note: Very Important Instructions" to avoid the Access Denied message - - Adobe web site to sign in with your Adobe ID and password only, that web site for the actual download of the files whose

links are below the "Note: Very Important Instructions" section at the donor web site.

I will think about this some more in the morning.

Glad the DVD menus worked out well.

To be continued...

ATR

Add On...I forgot to confirm --antivirus and firewalls disabled during all this?

• 14. Re: This is a Premiere Elements 8 question - I can't get it to open.
                                    lilthea Level 1

Thanks, I will give it a try when I am fresher.  Long day and my brain is

full, lol.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 8:50 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>