4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2015 11:05 AM by jvedette

Search for stacked photos

jvedette

If I stack a series of images and then use a search criterion to find and image, unless the stack is expanded, Lightroom does not find an image in the stack.  Is there a way around this?

• 1. Re: Search for stacked photos
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If items hidden in a stack meet the search criteria, they will be found. This is different from Aperture (if that's confusing you) where you need to include stacks in smart albums.

• 2. Re: Search for stacked photos
            jvedette Level 1

John,

I have Lightroom CC and this is not the case.  I have a folder with some stacked images including some images which are" .TIF" files.  If the ".TIF" file is at the top of the stack, then a search for TIF files will show it.  If the stack is un-stacked, the search will find the TIF file.  If the ".TIF" file is in a stack but not the top image, a search for TIF files will not find it.  Of course I can un-stack the whole folder.  But then I need to re-stack each image sequence afterwards.  Not very satisfactory! Incidently I have searched by using "Metedata", "FIle Type" and also "Filename contains .TIF".  Neither work if the images I am looking for is stacked.

• 3. Re: Search for stacked photos
              john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

OK, I see what you mean. Just select all, hit S and the stacks expand. It's the same operation to close the stacks.

There's also a menu command to expand all stacks.

• 4. Re: Search for stacked photos
                jvedette Level 1

Thanks John.  That's the answer.  I was not aware that it automatically re-stack images after un-stacking them.