9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2015 2:36 PM by khatwani

Importing data from Aperture into LR 4.4 for Mac

cameronjones

I am trying to help a client import a huge (900gb) Aperture library into LR 4.4 on his Mac.  Because of the huge size, every step takes a long time, and generally I let it try to import overnight and check in the morning.  I have tried three times now and each time I get the same error, so I'm hoping there is a known answer, though I can't find it online in my searching.  The import fails at 24% each time, and the error is "Assertion failed!".  Any tips?  I am using the current version of the Aperture import plugin, but of course not the current version of LR.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Importing data from Aperture into LR 4.4 for Mac
          khatwani Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi cameronjones,

Greetings!!!

Try giving permissions to both the Libraries (System Library & user Library) and the Applications folder.

For Applications Folder

---------------------------------

Open Finder

On the left panel you will find applications folder ->  right click on that (CTRL + Click) and then click on Get Info.

At the bottom you will find sharing and permissions - Click on that

You will find a Lock icon at the bottom right , please click on that lock icon and then it might ask you for your mac password, please put in that.

Now click on the small plus(+) icon and then add the users that you want , Please make sure that you are adding the admin account as well.

Provide read and write permissions to all.

Click on the gear icon at the bottom of the get info window and then choose "Apply to enclosed items "  This will pop a message that changes cannot be undone- click OK to that.

This will apply privileges and that might take a bit time depending upon the size of folder.

once done , Click on lock icon and then close the get info window.

Done with applications folder here.

For User Library

-----------------------

Open Finder

Click on Go at the top and then select "Go to folder"

type "~/Library" and press go

Right Click(CTRL + click) on the the Library folder, if you are inside that library you can right click (ctrl + click) at blank space between the folders and then click on Get Info

You will find a Lock icon at the bottom right , please click on that lock icon and then it might ask you for your mac password, please put in that.

Now click on the small plus(+) icon and then add the users that you want , Please make sure that you are adding the admin account as well.

Click on the gear icon at the bottom of the get info window and then choose "Apply to enclosed items "  This will pop a message that changes cannot be undone- click OK to that.

This will apply privileges and that might take a bit time depending upon the size of folder.

Done with user library folder here.

For System Library

----------------------------

Open Finder

Click on Go at the top and then select "Go to folder"

type "/Library" and press go

Right Click(CTRL + click) on the the Library folder, if you are inside that library you can right click (ctrl + click) at blank space between the folders and then click on Get Info

Done with System library folder here.

Please let me know if that works

Please Note : Do not just right click on complete MAC HD and provide full permissions that can make MAC in no boot mode.

Regards

Jitendra Khatwani

• 2. Re: Importing data from Aperture into LR 4.4 for Mac
            cameronjones Level 1

Thanks - I just did those steps and am running the import now.  In about 24 hours I will know if it worked.  I'll reply here, thanks!

• 3. Re: Importing data from Aperture into LR 4.4 for Mac
              cameronjones Level 1

No, unfortunately the same error occurred at the same point, 24%.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks!

• 5. Re: Importing data from Aperture into LR 4.4 for Mac
                khatwani Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi

Break the aperture library and then try.

Regards

Jitendra

• 6. Re: Importing data from Aperture into LR 4.4 for Mac
                  cameronjones Level 1

Sorry I have no idea what that means?

• 8. Re: Importing data from Aperture into LR 4.4 for Mac
                    cameronjones Level 1

Ah, so split the library into smaller libraries and then try importing.  Ill see what i can do...