16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2015 2:13 AM by Rene-)

CS 6 Photoshop doesn't "update" camera raw 9.2 on MacPro?

TdS960

Hi?

Via "help Updates" it does not show that ACR 9.2 is available for an update.

When I download it directly C@ 6 does not recognize that 9.2 is installed.

Menu "Photoshop - About plug in - ACR" still shows 9.1

How to get CS working with the latest ACR (9.2)?

Thanks

• 1. Re: CS 6 Photoshop doesn't "update" camera raw 9.2 on MacPro?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The following is a direct quote from the Lightroom Journal when Camera Raw 9.2 was announced:

"As mentioned in an update to our camera support policy here, Camera Raw 9.2 is only available in Photoshop CC or later.  Customers using older versions of Photoshop can utilize the DNG Converter for continued camera support."

• 2. Re: CS 6 Photoshop doesn't "update" camera raw 9.2 on MacPro?
            Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi,

As mentioned by JimHess, Camera Raw 9.2 update is not available for CS6 version. It is available only for CC version and above.

You can refer this article : Camera Raw 9.2 is now available

Regards,

Chetna

• 3. Re: CS 6 Photoshop doesn't "update" camera raw 9.2 on MacPro?
              CreativePlanForMe Level 1

This is just another example of ADOBE washing their hands of product support of what is very expensive software.  As well as this it is corporate bullying to get you and I to buy creative cloud - a guaranteed regular income for Adobe whether they update or not.

Think of it this way - both CS6 and CC are 'state-of-the-art' products and neither can have much improvement that is not incremental, superfluous or unnecessary.  So how does ADOBE warrant a CS7/8/9/10 when the improvements are trivial (wisely most users would not bother to buy the newer hardly improved version).

So what do you do?  You make the software 'on hire' via a regular mothly payment and with some fancy marketing make it appear to look a lot different.  How do you force adoption of thsi hired software?  You cripple the older software - lest be honest CS6 could easily have been allowed to update to ACR 9.2.

As you cannot make much improvements to future products your customers are now 'captured' so if they dont like the lack of change or useless changes they can leave but they lose access totally.

CC is a real moneyspinner and a great idea for ADOBE who knows corporately they have few real changes to make and feared the well (of money and creative change) drying up.

We will see.

Yes you can use DNG, shame you paid a fortune for CS6 though so its a corporate 'up yours' from ADOBE.

• 4. Re: CS 6 Photoshop doesn't "update" camera raw 9.2 on MacPro?

CS6 has not been "crippled". It has all the features that it ever had. As far as Camera Raw updates are concerned, there were more updates provided than some people expected. And, at least Adobe provides a free alternative, the DNG converter (which is continuously updated), to enable you to continue using the older products.

• 5. Re: CS 6 Photoshop doesn't "update" camera raw 9.2 on MacPro?

Hello Jim,

We have met before.  Is it in the job title of  'MVP' or are you the chief ADOBE apologist?

Crippled?  Dramatic words I know but I guess no ADOBE MVP's are using CS6?  ..........   I thought so ........ lmao

cheers

Ian

• 6. Re: CS 6 Photoshop doesn't "update" camera raw 9.2 on MacPro?
                    cahnite

"At least" is exactly right.  As in least.  We are with 'NoCreativePlanForMe' 100%.  Really annoying policy for what is quite expensive s/w.  Fool move by Adobe.

• 7. Re: CS 6 Photoshop doesn't "update" camera raw 9.2 on MacPro?
                      Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

NoCreativePlanForMe wrote:

Hello Jim,

We have met before.  Is it in the job title of  'MVP' or are you the chief ADOBE apologist?

Crippled?  Dramatic words I know but I guess no ADOBE MVP's are using CS6?  ..........   I thought so ........ lmao

cheers

Ian

I apologize if this sounds harsh but I'm going to say it if no one else will: Ever since CC was announced, anyone with common sense pretty much knew the writing was on the wall where CS6 was concerned.  Your first clue should have been the fact only maintenance/camera updates were released for CS6. No new features like those available in CC. You had to know that was going to end at some point and should have prepared accordingly.

As far as releases go, this is pretty much SOP for any app from any company; a new version of the app comes out and support eventually drops for the previous version. By your logic, support should still be there for the very first version of Photoshop waaaay back from 1990. Be lucky you got 3+ years of support for CS6 and that you could still use RAWs from newer cameras with CS6 provided you take an extra step with the Converter.

I don't know about Jim, but I'm subbed. I could use, for example, Photoshop CS6 if I wanted to as part of my sub, as I can the other versions of Photoshop CC that were released. (Surprise!) But why would I when I have the latest and greatest right in front of me?

Yes, we're MVPs, but so what? We're users just like you. We get rewarded and recognized for taking our own time to help out others here in the forums. There are MVPs and maybe some ACPs (Adobe Creative Professionals) who aren't even subbed.

• 8. Re: CS 6 Photoshop doesn't "update" camera raw 9.2 on MacPro?

LOL anyone noticed only the 'hired help' has anything good to say about ADOBE's corporate actions.

Give up your own time to toady for free software ..... I hope its worth it?   Some would not sell their soul or honour so cheaply.

Perhaps if you did not get your software for free you might be more sympathetic to those that actually are the customers of ADOBE and thats not you.

MVPs are becoming a joke....... by the way where is the kiwi?  He usually pops up with some unhelpful ADOBE corporate diatribe just like you.

These forums are ADOBE's way of 'offing' responsibility and getting lackeys to bully the public when they post in here.

Oh well bullies are everywhere now ...........  enjoy

• 9. Re: CS 6 Photoshop doesn't "update" camera raw 9.2 on MacPro?
                          Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

(Or maybe I shouldn't be shocked.)

I pay for my own sub, friend. That's how I got to this point in the first place. Anything beyond that is awesomesauce*. I'm not even a pro (as in using the CC apps in a professional manner as part of a job); I'm an enthusiast.

Accusing me of being a toady is...well...a bit childish, to be honest. I guess if being rewarded and recognized for helping out others that are using a company's software line is selling out nowadays...well, then, I guess I don't want to be anything but a sell-out.

I try to present to you a well-thought out argument on why CS6 isn't being supported anymore and I am the bullying jerk? You had actual years, my friend, to prepare. That isn't my fault. It's all on you.

By the way, I'm sure you know that Thomas Knoll** was the reason why users got the $10/month CC Photography Plan. Is he greedy? Because that doesn't seem greedy to me, like at all.

*Creamy and delicious.

**If you don't know who he is, Google him and his brother, John. I don't name-drop for the sake of butt-kissing. I do it to give credit where credit is obviously due.

• 10. Re: CS 6 Photoshop doesn't "update" camera raw 9.2 on MacPro?
                            Rene-) Level 1

I for one am curious how you got to 9.1 in the first place. Mine only goes to 8.6…
                            Re: Photoshop CS6, ACR won't update beyond 8.6

• 11. Re: CS 6 Photoshop doesn't "update" camera raw 9.2 on MacPro?
                              Tony1951

Hi, I have the same problem having just upgraded my camera to EOS 7D Mk II. I downloaded the latest version of ACR - 9.2 - only to find that it does not support my version of Photoshop.

Whilst I can convert CR2 files using the DNG converter I would prefer to retain the original CR2 files without having to duplicate them with DNG files.

I see that many others have the same issue with Adobe no longer supporting CS6 or earlier with ACR updates. Whilst Adobe could, at least, continue to make ACR 9.1 available for non-CC users

they have decided not to.

May I make a suggestion -

does anyone have ACR 9.1 (or a version from 8.7 onwards) as a zip file? If so, could they upload it to a site from which Photoshop users could download it? That would enable many of us to continue

to use pre-CC versions of Photoshop happily. I need a Windows version but others will require Mac. So, if both could be uploaded that would be great.

• 13. Re: CS 6 Photoshop doesn't "update" camera raw 9.2 on MacPro?
                                Rene-) Level 1

I think you didn't read the links you provided: Anything after Camera Raw 7.1 is just a link to DNG converter.
                                ACR is supposed to update through Adobe Updater. Except that it doesn't in this case...

• 14. Re: CS 6 Photoshop doesn't "update" camera raw 9.2 on MacPro?

Yeah, you're right. I just read the heading at the top of the webpage.  However, this link will enable you to download the latest version for Photoshop CS6:

Keeping Photoshop Up-To-Date

• 16. Re: CS 6 Photoshop doesn't "update" camera raw 9.2 on MacPro?
                                    Rene-) Level 1

I think that's the same update that I linked to (on a different location) in this thread.
                                    Which didn't install correctly. Not sure though, since I managed to work around that (as mentioned in that thread) so I got the bugger working finally.