1 2 Previous Next 72 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2015 1:46 PM by A.T. Romano

Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade

Scitech Level 1

Trying to get this message to ATR, but I welcome anyone's advice.

Thanks for all of your advice and help in the past.  I'm now in the process

of building a new PC running Win 7.0 with 64 Gigs of RAM, i7, a Wacom

tablet, etc to improve my photo restoration and video transfer business.

You helped me in the past with using Adobe Premiere Elements 11 in setting

up the correct aspect ratio. I was using a telecine machine and

transferring 8mm film to DVD. I'm considering upgrading to Adobe Premiere

Elements 14. Do you know of any issues with aspect ratios etc, if I

upgrade?  I know sometimes when you upgrade, you run into unexpected

problems.  Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis

www.savethosephotos.com <http://www.savethosephotos.com>

• 1. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dennis

You wrote

I know sometimes when you upgrade, you run into unexpected problems.

How true.

Please look at the free 30 days tryout of 14 before any thoughts of purchase.

I have gone back and re-read your previous thread Need advice for post production of regular and super 8mm film

Consequently, I have just deleted much of what I just posted as a first reply to your thread.

We are going to need some major rethinking of settings strategy if you are starting with those 1280 x 960 4:3 files and heading for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

In the prior thread, our destination was DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc.

So, please confirm

a. Will you use those 1280 x 960 files as your source?

b. Can you accept an end product as DVD-VIDEO Standard on DVD disc, instead of DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc?

Thanks.

ATR

Add on...What settings did you finally go with in the prior thread?

• 2. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
            Scitech Level 1

ATR,

Thanks as usual for your helpful quick reply.  Great advice for downloading

a Trial Version of 14.  I will do that, as soon as my New PC is built.  As

for the tablet, my intent was to only use it for Photoshop Elements - not

for Premeire.

Dennis

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 1:25 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Dennis,

Thanks for reply.

When you are ready, we need to confirm and discuss your source properties and the end product to be sure that we get the right 14 project and export settings for your source.

If you ever do decide you need the Wacom or one of its devices instead of the mouse for Premiere Elements, we might be able to identify some Wacom settings to minimize problems. That came up a while back so I would need to dust off my recollection for that situation.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                Scitech Level 1

A.T.

I'm trying to follow your advice and download a trial version of Premiere

Elements 14 to make sure everything works as needed before I upgrade.

However, when I try to download I keep getting these type of messages:

• 5. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Scitech

Thanks for the follow up.

As fate would have it, I have just downloaded and installed the tryout version of Photoshop Elements 14 and Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 10 Home 64 bit without problems.

So, I have an immediate first hand view of the situation.

1. What type of messages are you getting? At installation - If it is about the installer, just click Ignore. It happens each time for me and is meaningless.

2. At download, remember you need two files the Akamai one which does the extraction for the program files and the program.exe itself.

Please confirm at what stage and what step the message appears and what it says.

I am going to be calling it a day. I will revisit your thread in the morning morning and we will work that download and install of the 14 program to success.

To be continued...

ATR

• 6. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                    Scitech Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for the help.  I'm installing a 64 bit version on Windows 7.

I sent you the error messages in the previous email.

I'm able to download Akamai, but it is only downloading one file.  I get a "success" message for the Akamai download, and then it stops there.  No photoshop Premiere file.

Can you send me the URL from where you download the file, at least that will eliminate that variable.

Which browser are using to download?  I have been getting a header to large error when using Chrome.

Thanks,

Scitech.

Sent from my iPad

• 7. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Scitech

Thanks for the reply.

Just in case message - you select either Premiere Elements or Photoshop Elements for the tryout download, get one of them installed completely and go back to the download page to download and install the other product. Right now we will focus on getting the Premiere Elements 14 tryout.

1. After the Akamai is download and installed, if you do not see some activity, look to the taskbar at the bottom of the computer window...do you see a window that needs to go from minimized to maximized?

I used the tryout download from the Adobe web site.

tryoutpage.JPG

Please consider. And, then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                        Scitech Level 1

ATR,

I did get Akamai is download and installed, and I used the site

you recommended for downloading Premiere Elements.  I will try again

this afternoon when I get home.  Currently at school molding 8th grade

science minds.

Thanks for your fast support.

I will keep you updated.

Dennis

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 7:35 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 9. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dennis

Thanks for taking another look at that download and install of the Premiere Elements 14 tryout.

Disclosure...last night in my Premiere Elements Photoshop Elements tryout downloads, keeping track of those dialogs (that seemed to gravitate to the taskbar) and the "ignore" for the installer were considerations.

We will be watching for follow up as your schedule permits.

Best wishes for great day and success with the tryout install.

ATR

• 10. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                            Scitech Level 1

ATR,

I was able to get Premier Elements 14 Trial installed last night.  I'm in

the country - not the fastest download speeds.  I will check the settings

this evening and get back to you.

Scitech.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 8:27 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 11. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                              Scitech Level 1

ATR,

I'm ready for your help. Version 14 does look different from 11.  To

refresh your memory, I'm bringing the 8mm video into the computer from a

Tobin Strobe Transfer (TST-8) High Definition Telecine machine.

The video comes in with the need to crop the frames.  You can actually see

about a frame and a half.  So, I'm trying to use scaling and cropping to

fill the screen as much as possible.  The final outcome will be burning the

video to a DVD for customers.

I'm open for suggestions.

Last time you suggested these settings since I'm starting with square

pixels.

NSTC/FLIP

Flip Mino and Ultra 2.97p

Next click on monitor to bring up bounding box with handles and drag to

fill monitor space.

Export as 1280 x 720 16:9 using Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD.

I don't see those exact export settings in 14.

If it would help, I would be glad to drop a 1 min 47 sec video sample that

I took from the telecine machine in a google drive or drop box folder.

This way you can directly manipulate the video and let me know what looks

best.

Thanks again for your willingness to help.

Scitech.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 8:27 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 12. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Scitech

Please send the sample video via Dropbox, and as soon as it arrives in your thread, I will road test the sample in 14 for import, editing (scaling details), and export. That Expert & Share area is "different" than what you are used to in 11's Publish+Share. You just have to search out what you need.

I will probably be calling it a day in an hour or so; consequently, most of the work will be done tomorrow morning/afternoon.

Looking forward to this project. Sounds interesting.

ATR

• 13. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                  Scitech Level 1

ATR,

I'm in no hurry.  I will be working with personal video before working on

customer files.  I appreciate the help.

I may have discovered a setting that will work.  Will be burning a DVD to

test the outcome.  Will let you know.

What email address do I use for DropBox?

SciTech

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 8:23 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 14. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Scitech

Sounds like progress. Great.

Typically the sender uses a shareable link from Drop Box or Google Drive and then posts that shareable link in a reply in the thread.

I do not use Drop Box but I can give how to for the Google Drive sending.

Please let me know if there is a problem with those routes with regard to privacy?

ATR

• 15. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                      Scitech Level 1

ATR,

I actually prefer Google Drive.  Please send me the How To.

Thanks again.

Scitech

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 9:26 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 16. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                        Scitech Level 1

Results of DVD Test:

Just tested the settings.

DVD looks fine.  Here is what I used:

Preset: AVCHD LITE 720p24

Export - DVD / STD 480 (720 x 480)

The only concern I have is the original 8mm frame rate is 16 fps.

The output for this export is 24 fps.  I really don't notice the

difference, but I wondering if it will make a difference to a customer.

• 17. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Scitech

First about Google Drive...

1. Go to Google Drive - Cloud Storage & File Backup for Photos, Docs & More

and click on the "Go To Google Drive" tab in the middle of the screen.

2. In the My Drive page, click on the red tab "New" and, from the drop down menu, select File Upload, Open

3. Right click the file's thumbnail and select Share.

4. At the top right of the Share dialog that appears, click on "Get Shareable Link".

5. Then copy the link under "Anyone with this link can view" and paste it in a reply in your thread.

Next about your burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Expert & Share/Disc/DVD, with that 16:9 project preset, you will get a DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc (720 x 480 16:9 at 29.97 interlaced frames per second).

If it looks good to you, it will look good to the customer who will not know if the DVD was produced from p24 source or not. Only problem might be if the customer has an old set up with no adjustments for 16:9 widescreen.

But, if they where pleased with what you sent them from the earlier version, they should be OK now.

Please consider and then we can decide what next.

Sounding good.

ATR

• 18. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                            Scitech Level 1

ATR,

Here is the shareable link for the file from my telecine machine.

It is in .avi format.

Toddlers. <https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B90j5Pzdtq04VWdRRC1YUnFsMHc>

Let me know what you come up with.

Scitech

• 19. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Scitech

Thanks. I now have the sample file saved to my computer.

Before I start working on this....

a. What is your target export .m2t file or burn to disc DVD-VIDEO Standard or Widescreen?

You are starting with MotionJPEG.avi @ 16 frames per second 1280 x 960 4:3.

What did you finally go with for you for this project with the previous version of Premiere Elements?

I need to go back and re-read your earlier thread. But, I want to make sure of the present situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 20. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                                Scitech Level 1

Glad to hear you got the avi file.

Target export is DVD widescreen, since I believe most customers today have

wide screens in their homes.

You may need to look over the old thread but I believe we used this:

1280 x 720 16:9 to 740 x 480 Widescreen.

NTSC

FLIP

Flip Mino and Ultra 29.97p

Scitech

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 9:06 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 21. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Scitech

Just a mini update on my progress....still working on this from your original 1280 x 960 4:3 that you sent. It looking like this is destinated for DVD-VIDEO standard 4:3 on DVD disc rather forcing it to DVD-VIDEO widescreen 16:9 on DVD disc. I have a few more video maneuvers that I want to try and compare 14 to 11.

To be continued....

ATR

• 22. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                                    Scitech Level 1

Thank you.  With the settings I was using, I just grabbed the handles and dragged the image to scale it larger so I could fit one frame in the monitor window.  Didn't need to crop.

Scitech

Sent from my iPad

• 23. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Scitech

Somethings for you to explore.

Premiere Elements 14

1. Set the project preset manually to

NTSC

FLIP

Flip Mino HD and Ultra HD 30p

(This is described for 1280 x 720 @ 30 progressive frames per second)

For the manual setting of the project preset, please use the steps

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                                                      • In Change Settings, set the project preset to the project preset given above. OK out of there.
                                                      • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                                                      • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

With or without the Default Scale to Frame Size disabled at this point....

After your 1280 x 960 @ 16 frames per second is dragged to the Timeline, scale it so that the image is just filling the 1280 x 720 space in the Edit area monitor (no black borders). Let me know how you do with the scaling. I found more not as easy as in 11.

In the Edit area, you might consider applying Time Stretch with Speed % 80 to determine if it makes a difference in the playback in the end product DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc. Other edits, as indicated.

At burn to disc, go to Expert & Share/Disc/DVD and SD 480 720 x 480

a. check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"

b. make sure Type = Disc....it defaults to ISO so, if you want Disc, double check the setting before burn.

c. the 16:9 project preset that we have selected will assure NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD even though it is not represented as it was in 11.

You can use the same approach in 11. The project preset will be the same 11 vs 14...the Publish+Share of 11 is set up different than Expert & Share 14.

If you need an intermediate for this, consider an additional burn to ISO Image (4.7 GB) which you can take to disc when you want using ImgBurn.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I have deleted an add on relating to creating the DVD-VIDEO Standard on DVD version in 14 with your specific video sending. If you want to explore that next, I need to rework some details.

• 24. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                                        Scitech Level 1

ATR,

I will try this and then give you feedback.

By the way, I was using Premiere Elements to import mini DV tape.  I

discovered this evening that the latest versions of Premiere like 14 no

longer supports importing DV video.  So if there are users out there

thinking about upgrading to 14 and are still transferring mini DV they will

need to find an alternate method of importing the video.  Lucky for me, I

still have a copy of Premiere Elements 11.0 which does support this format.

Scitech

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 9:57 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 25. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Scitech

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to your results when you get the time.

Adobe discontinued DV and HDV capture firewire into the Premiere Elements capture window starting with Premiere Elements 13/13.1.

Removed features and unsupported file formats | Adobe Premiere Elements 13

The feature has remained gone in Premiere Elements 14.

Adobe did suggest some workarounds in the above link. Also, programs such as WinDV and HDVSplit can be used for the captures and then the captures imported into Premiere Elements project with the project's Add Media/Files and Folders/

So, it is Premiere Elements 12/12.1 which is the last to have that DV and HDV capture firewire feature.

ATR

• 26. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                                            Scitech Level 1

ATR,

I used the settings you suggested. Looks Great. Have not burned to DVD yet,

but the preview looks very good.

One question - you mentioned using Time Stretch to adjust the time rate.

You suggested a value of 80%.  Why 80%?  If I want 30fps to be changed to

16fps (speed of original 8mm film) wouldn't I use 53%?  16fps/30fps = 53%.

Scitech.

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 9:57 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 27. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Scitech

Thanks for the wonderful news of looking great.

I will share with you the non technical way I decided on the Time Stretch Speed % = 80.....

In the sample video a woman held a baby and, toward the end of the video, she bounces the baby on her knee.

That 80% set in the existing project settings seem to be the optimal point where it did not appear that the woman was over bouncing the baby.

If you explore other Speed % settings for other projects with other videos (same type as sample), please see if that 80% seems optimal for all.

Thanks.

ATR

• 28. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                                                Scitech Level 1

So.... what you are saying is . ....  there is not a direct scientific

relationship between frame rate and Time Stretch.  In other words, it is

best to use the WLR (What looks right) approach.

Scitech.

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 9:32 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 29. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Scitech

Thanks for the reply.

All I am saying that in this instance I went for effect (what looks right) rather than calculations, and 80% seemed to give a better playback than with Speed % 100 or 90.

That Time Stretch Speed % setting is a directive to the project to alter the number of frames to create a slow or fast motion effect to increase or decrease the duration of the video respectively

100%

50% - every 1 frame becomes 2

25 % - every 1 frame becomes 4

200% - every 2 frames become 1

400% - every 4 frames become 1

Please let me know if you decide to do some exploration and experimentation on this for your specific video source.

When I was looking at your sample, my primary goal was to develop a generalized import, export scheme. I roughly (very roughly) detoured into the Edit area with major thought of Edit area monitor scaling and not really any editing embellishing at this time.

ATR

• 30. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                                                    Scitech Level 1

ATR

Thanks for the mathematical explanation. With this explanation, I at least

know what time stretch is doing.  I know from experience that often 'what

looks right" is the best solution vs using the scientific or mathematical

approach.

As usual, thanks for your quick and expert advise.

Others need to follow your lead when it comes to tech support.

Scitech.

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 10:53 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 31. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Scitech

Thanks for the kind words.

In the near future I will put some science and math to the different frame rates (import/export).

At that time, I will go into creating slow and fast motion video effects with Time Stretch, Time Remapping, and Interpret Footage.

Best wishes

ATR

• 32. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                                                        Scitech Level 1

ATR,

Will be looking forward to your instructions for Time Stretch, Time Remapping and Interpret Footage.

In the mean time I do have another question  - go figure.

I now have half a dozen raw avi files from the transfer of the 8mm film to my hard drive.

They are like the sample file I sent you..  I'm now working on each individual file per the instructions you provided.

I was thinking about working on each individual file and then exporting them out with quick export as mp4 files and then bring them all back later into one project for the final burn.

The other option is to bring them all together at once as avi files, edit them and then burn.

So the question comes down to this.  Is there a difference in the final product when I burn the final project from avi files vs mp4 files?

Scitech

Sent from my iPad

• 33. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                                                          Scitech Level 1

ATR,

Ignore my previous email regarding .avi vs. mp4.  I found some time to research this evening and found the answer I need.

Direct your time and effort to other users questions.  I appreciate all of your past help.

Scitech

Sent from my iPad

• 34. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Scitech

I think that I missed that question.

Are you going with Lagarith.avi for something else?

ATR

• 35. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                                                              Scitech Level 1

ATR,

This was the question:

• 36. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Scitech

Never looked at first hand what you are asking....

So the question comes down to this.  Is there a difference in the final product when I burn the final project from avi files vs mp4 files?

I would say that you are not likely to see a significant difference in the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc final project, source Lagarith.avi (lossless) versus H.264.mp4 (lossy). But, Lagarith.avi (lossless) would seem a better choice for an intermediate product.

But, worth making the comparison first hand for your particular video source.

ATR

• 37. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                                                                  Scitech Level 1

You asked me to let you know the outcome.

I tried burning and Premier Elements 14 locked up.  I did some research and one suggestion was to turn off hardware acceleration.  I did that.  Still locks up.

It locks up at 4% when burning.

I am using a menu with scenes, background music, and looping animations.

Do you have any suggestions where I can start troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance.

Scitech.

Below is the settings you suggested when burning.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At burn to disc, go to Expert & Share/Disc/DVD and SD 480 720 x 480

a. check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"

b. make sure Type = Disc....it defaults to ISO so, if you want Disc, double check the setting before burn.

c. the 16:9 project preset that we have selected will assure NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD even though it is not represented as it was in 11.

You can use the same approach in 11. The project preset will be the same 11 vs 14...the Publish+Share of 11 is set up different than Expert & Share 14.

If you need an intermediate for this, consider an additional burn to ISO Image (4.7 GB) which you can take to disc when you want using ImgBurn.

• 38. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Scitech

Thanks for the follow up.

If you have not already, please start the troubleshooting as follows...

1. Determine if that Timeline content with the Timeline markers and menus can give successfully an .iso file.

2. Depending on the outcome of "1", then try burning the project to DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc with no Timeline markers and no menus.

Let us see the results from that, and then we can decide any further troubleshooting strategy.

Thanks.

ATR

• 39. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 14 upgrade
                                                                                      Scitech Level 1

Will give it a try this afternoon and will let you know the outcome.

Scitech

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 8:00 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

1 2 Previous Next