Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playhead Drag / Lag Problem

Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I've been visiting these forums too frequently after the El Capitain update. To add to the GPU problem, does anyone have any idea whats happening here?

My play head in the source window lags behind my mouse and then retraces it's steps.

Please advise, thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

El Capitan is the ish ... that OS has had more bugs for more programs than I've seen in a long time ... Apple is getting out patches slowly to fix things, check for updates there ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  any solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No reply - best solution is to boot from time machine back to Yosemite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2015 Oct 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've have had that problem on Yosemite, working on AVCHD footage. Problem continues on El Capitan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've having the same problem since I installed El Capitan. the problem is... I don't have Time Machine set up, so I cannot go back to Yosemite.

I have a  MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015),  2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this time ... no. Not realistically until Apple fixes the MANY glaring problems of El Capitan. Yesterday's patch fixed some things for a few people. That's it so far.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tbh before El Capitan, I had issues which I think are related to this one. Like the widely spread auto-scroll timeline or the xmas tree timeline effect, where the thumbnails in the timeline re-generate constantly until you purge the memory.

So looking at the problem from just one side doesnt adjust to reality. The sad truth is that I haven't had a pleasant editing experience with premiere on a Mac for ages, there's always something major going on.

I Have heard good things about final cut x though, it might be time to give it a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is really infuriating. we can't edit like this ADOBE

Before I had the timeline autoscroll issue which seems to have gone, then the xmas tree timeline effect (which still happens) and now this!!!!!

It's bad because sometimes you scrub trying to find a point in the timeline, click I to establish 'in point' and the 'in point' sets 1 minute before you wanted.

Really bad, it seems to me I haven't had a problemless session of video editing with Premiere for quite a while.

Time to check that Final Cut X trial

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same freaking problem. I agree, my FCP X has never had this problem. How can this be fixed? I have no precision with my In and Out points with this issue. I am forced to wait for the playhead to stop dancing around on my source monitor so what used to take me 1 second is taking me 5. Do I need to mention what does 5 times more time means for an editor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 23, 2015 Oct 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you updated to OSX 10.11.1 yet?

Have you tried the NVIDIA Web Driver?

NVIDIA DRIVERS Quadro & GeForce Mac OS X Driver Release 346.03.03‌

Have you installed and updated CUDA driver?

NVIDIA DRIVERS 7.5.21

After doing all of this, the problem is not AS bad as it was previously and much more manageable.  Still needs to be addressed, however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2015 Oct 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list. I was about to post a similar video.

What a weird laggy annoying mess. I've updated everything and nothing has changed.

I can not go back to a pre-El Capitan OS either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, that sort of thing drive you nuts. It tends to be better to wait a bit before adopting new OS, new NLE releases ... see what's happening first. Apple used to put out such stable OS's. But oh well ... times have changed. Most anything fresh out will have some issues these days.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue on a maxed out 2.8ghz Mac Book Pro hopefully adobe looks at this thread it's really hard to edit like this. I'm also having this issue: Strange auto-scrolling behavior in timeline I'm assuming the 2 are related

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 26, 2015 Oct 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As has been in the past, in order for Adobe to provide help and answers, people need to provide system specs. 

It would really help out if everyone experiencing this can state the machine they are on with model identifier (example: iMac11,2), what OS version they are using, what GPU driver they are using, what version of CUDA is installed, then other system specs like RAM or special configurations for system storage.

Also would be helpful if people newly posting to this thread can clarify if you experienced this in OSX 10.11 and are STILL experiencing on OSX 10.11.1 after GPU and CUDA updates are applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about Andrew but I'm running a

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Running OS X 10.11.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iMac 5K maxed out

4ghz i7

32gb

AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

OSX 10.11.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. And i had it in Yosemite. It's making me crazy.

MacPro (LATE 2013)

3GHZ 8-CORE

64GB Ram

AMD FirePro D700

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Specs, same problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iMac 27" Mid 2011

3.4 GHz i7

16 GB 1333 mhz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2gig

Cuda driver 7.5.21

OS X 10.11.1

Latest PPCC 2015

This did not happen before updating to El Capitan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

El Capitan is the ish ... that OS has had more bugs for more programs than I've seen in a long time ... Apple is getting out patches slowly to fix things, check for updates there ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well in that case where's Apple's El Captain forum where I can post my rage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it makes any of you feel better, this problem exists on my company's fully decked out 2014 Mac Pro. A $10,000 computer has this issue.

It goes without saying that this is absolutely unacceptable. It significantly slows down our editing process by forcing us to sit and wait for the playhead to catch up after scrubbing. In and Out points don't adhere correctly either because for some reason the program is coded such that In and Out points are placed wherever the playhead visually rests on the clip's timeline as opposed to the frame shown in the source/program monitor.

Extremely unhappy customer here, Adobe. We pay $50 a month for completely broken software. If this problem continues for much longer we're going to switch to something else because this is unbelievably broken and unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are on El Capitan, it's your OS that is broken, and you decided to upgrade to it even though thousands of folks are having issues with it over all kinds of software & gear (NOT just Adobe products) ... why are you gritching at Adobe?

Just curious ... is Adobe supposed to fix extremely buggy Apple software?

When Win10 came out ... MS had "stripped-down" that OS, dropping a ton of previous carry-over code for 'antiquated' gear & processes ... which did make it "lighter" and much faster in operation, but sadly ... broke operability for MANY programs & bits of hardware, especially hammering the video software & gear. (Think BlackMagic, AJA, Kona ... & etc.). MS has been sending out their "updates" as they do, and for some people that is now a usable & stable OS ... though many still can't run video gear properly on it.

Is that also Adobe's problem? Are they supposed to "fix" Win10 OS operation by 'giving it' the code to run all the hardware bits & pieces besides software we video types use?

I don't think so ... I think in both cases, it's the company making the OS that needs to deliver a functional, stable system.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know Apple releases developer builds . You would think Adobe would have known about a roadblock issue like this in the summer!

I may upgrade to a development build to see if it helps any myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines