9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2015 6:52 PM by A.T. Romano

Can I Upgrade Premiere Elements to Windows 10?

Madrugada52

I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 and Adobe Premiere Elements 8.

I'm thinking of upgrading my computer.

Will my software run on Windows 10 using Google Chrome as my browser?

Thanks in advance for your input and advice.

Jim

• 1. Re: Can I Upgrade Premiere Elements to Windows 10?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Based on my work with Premiere Elements on Windows 10 64 bit, you should be able to use Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8 on Windows 10 64 bit if they worked on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. My impression is that Premiere Elements successes and failures are the same before and after upgrade to Windows 10 64 bit. So, make sure you go through the usual 8.0/8.0.1 drill in order to use that version on a computer operating system.

Lots of choices for default browser on Windows 10 64 bit Microsoft Edge, even Internet Explore. Can download and install and Firefox and Google Chrome. I have not done an extensive study on Windows 10 64 bit and browsers, but everything seems to be working OK with any of the choice of the browsers mentioned.

Apple has a problem with QuickTime 7 latest version 7.7.8 for Windows 10 64 bit. Until Apple works out those problems, please download and install QuickTime 7.7.6 to meet the Premiere Element requirement for latest version of QuickTime 7 installed on your computer along with it. This QuickTime 7.7.6 will work in Windows 10 64 bit to meet that Premiere Elements requirement even though it is not actually the latest QuickTime 7 version.

Please let me know if I have targeted your questions. If not, please give more information about the supplemental information that you need

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can I Upgrade Premiere Elements to Windows 10?
            Madrugada52 Level 1

Thanks so much for such a quick response. This gives me all the information I need to make my final decision on the computer upgrade I am looking at. Again - I really appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Jim

• 3. Re: Can I Upgrade Premiere Elements to Windows 10?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Thanks for the follow up. Looking forward to learning of your progress as your schedule permits.

Best wishes for great videos and video presentations.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can I Upgrade Premiere Elements to Windows 10?
                Madrugada52 Level 1

I finally bit the bullet and purchased my new computer.

I have installed Adobe Premiere Elements 8 and installed the update to 8.0.1 as suggested.

I also installed Quick Time 7.7.6 as recommended above instead of the latest version.

But now I can't seem to import .mov videos into Elements. I have been working with some of the same .mov files that loaded fine into my Elements on my old computer.

I get an error message that the file is corrupt or missing codecs.

Yet these same files also play in Quicktime as well as other players on my new computer.

Any suggestions for that?

Thanks

Jim

• 5. Re: Can I Upgrade Premiere Elements to Windows 10?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Thanks for the update. Congratulations on your new computer.

Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 on Windows 10 64 bit. Are you running the programs as administrator (from user account with administrative privileges)?

Are you working with the 8.0.1 Update? Are the automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer features disabled? Do you have problems importing any other source media...video (.mp4) or stills? Are you running the program with an active Internet connection?

First, let us assure the integrity of the QuickTime install in spite that the player works standalone.

Please open Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, and go to Share/Personal Computer/QuickTime. In the Presets field do you have all the preset choices?

Next, what is the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the .mov files that you are trying to import?

Please consider the above and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Can I Upgrade Premiere Elements to Windows 10?
                    Madrugada52 Level 1

Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 on Windows 10 64 bit. YES.

Are you running the programs as administrator (from user account with administrative privileges)? I believe so.

Are you working with the 8.0.1 Update? YES

Are the automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer features disabled? YES

Do you have problems importing any other source media...video (.mp4) or stills? NO

Are you running the program with an active Internet connection? YES

First, let us assure the integrity of the QuickTime install in spite that the player works standalone.

Please open Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, and go to Share/Personal Computer/QuickTime.

In the Presets field do you have all the preset choices? No - I get nothing when I click on the down arrow in the Presets field.

Next, what is the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the .mov files that you are trying to import? Canon PowerShot SX510 HS PC2009 - although no .MOV files will work.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Can I Upgrade Premiere Elements to Windows 10?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Madrugada52

Thanks for the reply with lots of great troubleshooting information.

If you are not getting presets for the Share/Personal Computer/QuickTime choice, then there is a problem with the integrity of the QuickTime install and/or you are not running the programs as administrator...probably a QuickTime install issue.

Did you download and install QuickTime 7.7.6 from the following link

QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

Let us do this....

1. Uninstall any trace of QuickTime 7 that you have on your computer using the usual Control Panel way.

2. Do a free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts)  CCleaner - Download

3. Install QuickTime 7.7.6 with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

First to double check ....

Share/Personal Computer/QuickTime....you click on the Presets field and do not see the following 2 choices?

pe8.jpg

And, if you should have those Presets choices, if you click on the Advanced Button, do you see the Export Settings dialog which give you

a large number of video compression to choose from in the Video Codec list?

pe8--2.jpg

If you do not see any of this, then definitely time for the QuickTime 7.7.6 uninstall reinstall.

We will be watching for your progress as your time permits.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Can I Upgrade Premiere Elements to Windows 10?
                        Madrugada52 Level 1

Hi ATR.

Boy is my face red. It looks like I WASN"T running Premiere Elements in Administrator's mode after all and that seems to have corrected the problem.

Yes - my presets are showing now as per the first screen capture and the "Advanced" info is showing as per the second screen capture so I didn't have to reinstall QuickTime or run CCleaner.

So sorry for putting you through all that extra work.

Do you know if there is any way to run as administrator as a default? Is this something I should be doing for all programs or just when I encounter problems.

Thanks again for all you help. You've been a real lifesaver.

Jim

• 9. Re: Can I Upgrade Premiere Elements to Windows 10?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Thanks for the follow up. The important matter is that the problem is resolved and you can move forward with your projects.

Running both QuickTime and Premiere Elements as administrator is very important. Please check your User Accounts - Start/Settings/Accounts/Your Account/.

Name, Local Account, Administrator. Were you running the programs with a Microsoft Account? Determine if you can switch to and stay with the User Account described in Settings/Your Account as named, local account tagged administrator in the description.

You may be lured back to the Microsoft Account by Microsoft in order for Microsoft to give you access to some of its Windows 10 features. You probably can go back and forth between the two types, but I would stay with the local account unless it is a must get to Microsoft feature that you need to get to.

Best wishes. Please do not hesitate if you have any further questions on your Premiere Elements workflows.

ATR