1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 8, 2015 8:39 AM by gkaiseril

Silent printing: disable printing dialog box - where to start

montblancm79532635

Hello Everybody.

My first post here.

I am working in a Citrix Xenapp environment. On our app servers we have Adobe Reader XI installed. When a user prints a pd,  pressing the printer icon, he gets a printing dialog box. We want that the user,  after pressing the print button, direclty prints and no dialog box appears.

On my workstation, I have Adobe Reader XI I  want to do some testing first.

I have found the javaScript code:

this.print({bUI: false, bSilent: true, bShrinkToFit: true});

but I have no idea where to start. How can I implement this Java script part in my Adobe Reader XI installation to test the print process (no print dialog box).  or is there any other solution , for example, through Windows registry key (this would be a faster solution)

Do i need the entire SDK package  and / or JavaScript for Adobe Reader etc..??

I there is any registry key value, would be better and easier to implement.

Please help

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Silent printing: disable printing dialog box - where to start
          gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

And just how secure, private, do think silent printing is?

Do you think one could print to another printer not on your network  or to a file not within your network?

Adobe does, because they know one can use JavaScript to reassign the default printer's network name and then silently print the file to an unknown location to you without your knowledge.

That is why the Acrobat JavaScript Reference indicates there is a security restriction on the technique.

doc.print()

You will need Acrobat to add a button to your PDF so you can run your script.

Since silent printing is restricted you will either need to add folder level script to each user's install or certify each PDF.