3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2015 4:44 AM by BobLevine

Creating an Indesign Library without uploading to creative cloud but keeping files liked.

Crawf89

Hi there

I work for a company where confidentiality is key. Nothing we do is allowed to be uploaded to cloud or any internet based storage system. Currently we are in need of creating an indesign library that we can share around the studio but most tutorials talk about Cloud. I have managed to create a basic library without uploading to cloud but stuck on a few things...

First off -  Some of our image link icons are not showing. This had us concerned that our items are not linked but when we went into the links folder them seem to be ok. Why is it not showing?  Is it a viewing thing we have not ticked?

Second - When I created an object (say text with an frame for an image) and save it into the library from indesign rather than from an outside source, the image will not update (in other documents) if I change it on the original image. Do i have to save it as a separate image then bring it in from a folder?

and finally third - Is there a great different between Adobe CC 2014 and 15 for Library use? Considering an update at the studio if it helps with these tasks.

Any help will be appreciated and links to helpful tutorials would be great.

Thanks,

Sarah

• 1. Re: Creating an Indesign Library without uploading to creative cloud but keeping files liked.
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, I'm assuming you're creating an InDesign library by choose File > New > Library and saving this file to some common location like a server.

When you add an image to a library you're only adding the image frame and information about where the image itself is stored. The image itself is not part of the library; otherwise it would be too large. When you use an object from the library which has a linked image you still have to establish a link to the image itself.

If you add text to the library, then use that text in another document, there is no link to the original text. If you want a linkage, you have to use the Edit > Place and Link command or use the Content Collector/Placer tools where you can create such a link. That is not a feature of an InDesign library.

It is possible to create links to graphics with a CC Library, but you said you're not allowed to upload assets to the cloud.

• 2. Re: Creating an Indesign Library without uploading to creative cloud but keeping files liked.
            Crawf89 Level 1

Thank you very much for your speedy reply.

Yes we need to stay off the cloud completely which is making things more difficult.

All images that we add are being sourced from particular folders so we are fine with these. Its more creating the image in indesign first. I have just tested your place and link example for an item created in indesign. I managed to link two or more together on the same document which is great but struggled to link the same object/image to another document. Is it not possible to attach the linked image to the library and use this or would we have to create a separate image and place it via a folder.

Would you recommend 2015 to help this along or is there not much difference.

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Creating an Indesign Library without uploading to creative cloud but keeping files liked.
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Never been a fan of InDesign libraries. I use snippets instead.

I wrote this several years ago, but I'm still a fan of this method but you can use a network folder instead of a dropbox folder.

http://indesignsecrets.com/the-joy-of-snippets.php