7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2015 7:46 AM by A.T. Romano

I am at my wit's end.  Please, please, rescue me!

jemredman

OK, here goes.  I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro, loaded up with OS X Yosemite 10.10.5, and am running Adobe Premiere Elements 11.

I have used this programme successfully many times before.  However, my current project (total length ca. 1.45 hours) simply will not burn to DVD; and yet, after 8, yes 8, attempts, I get the same message every time after it's run through the "Encoding Media" routine (which is taking north of 3 hours) and "Compiling Media":  "Burn Complete!  Your files have been burned to Disc."  Yet when I attempt to eject the disc (and it's generally reluctant to come out without a restart), it's completely blank.  Moreover, the compatible blank DVD format list keeps going up and down!

I have:

1.  Checked that the project is fully rendered.

2.  Checked that there is sufficient hard drive space - shouldn't 50 GB be enough, when the .MTS files total ca. 40GB and I've added are some pics and a few mp3 tracks?

3.  Tried at least 4 different DVD format types, i.e., -R, +RW, +R DL - as I say, sometimes the list shown via the "Storage" tab behind "About This Mac" shows that more types can be written than others.

4.  Tried both the onboard burner and a Samsung Portable DVD Writer Model SE-208 - same result with both.

5.  Tried both "fit to available space" and customised to max permissible burn capacity settings in "Publish and Share".  Same erroneous message.

In desperation, I decided to break the project into two, thus making the two halves more conducive to burning (or so I thought).  Now, having deleted half of the original and saved the balance as "Part 2", with a couple of new short intro frames, the soundtrack elements I originally inserted can't be moved along the timeline - and yet, they can be reinserted via Audio 6!

It's as well that I're retired, because I've spent 4 days on this thus far.

Please, please, please - what is the problem?

Kind regards

JR

• 1. Re: I am at my wit's end.  Please, please, rescue me!
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

135 minutes is just too much to fit on a standard DVD, JR. You've got the Fit Content option selected -- but it still just may not go.

In my books, I recommend that your DVD movie be a maximum of 70-80 minutes for a standard DVD.(A dual-layer DVD can hold about twice that much.) To some extent, the program will compress and reduce quality to fit a bit more on -- but an hour and 45 minutes just isn't likely.

Once you've split your project into smaller parts, make sure that you save your project file to a new folder, under a new name. That way, when you're transcoding your files, your new work files will crash into your old work files.

And, before you burn directly to a disc, try burning and ISO or burning to a folder on your hard drive. That's a good test to find out of the problem is in your transcoding process or if there's something going south in the disc burn.

You might also want to replace any mp3s with WAV files. The program can certainly work with mp3s -- but they do tend to bog down the program. And, if you're already having problems, why add extra weight?

• 2. Re: I am at my wit's end.  Please, please, rescue me!
            jemredman Level 1

Many thanks, Steve.  I'm afraid that I'm going to reveal my ignorance here, so please forgive me if any of these is dense:

1.  Having renamed the 2 truncated projects, are you saying that they need to be stored somewhere other than "Movies"?

2.  What should the settings be for burning to the folder?  (I'm in the UK, by the way, if that's relevant).

3.  Presumably it's not simply a question of overwriting the file extension to .wav from .mp3 - but I imagine that there are downloadable conversion apps out there?

Once again, thanks for your help.

JR

• 3. Re: I am at my wit's end.  Please, please, rescue me!
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jemredman

General

Free up more hard drive space

Resize photos, not to exceed 1920 x 1080.

In burn to dialog, look at Space Required and Bitrate with check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space" immediately before burn to attempt - both DVD 4.7 GB/120 minutes and DVD Double Layer 8.5 GB/240 minutes. Stop if Bitrate is shown as 7.00 Mbps or less.

Details

From what you wrote you are using Premiere Elements 11 Mac. I am strictly an Elements Windows user, but I would like to contribute these observations.

1. If you have Premiere Elements 11, you will have at least two burn to options for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, that is, burn to disc or burn to folder. For the Windows counterpart, there is no burn to ISO Image in 11. The burn to ISO Image was not introduced into Premiere Elements Windows until version 13. Please let us know if your Premiere Elements 11 Mac offered an ISO Image burn to choice.

2. As for disc capacity, you will find some DVD discs labelled 4.7 GB/120 minutes (in reality that 4.7 GB is 4.38 GB) and other 8.5 GB/240 minutes (in reality that 8.5 GB is 7.95  GB). But, I do not believe that disc capacity is at issue here, especially if you looked at DVD double layer. Rather, I would suggest that computer resources are because of the size of the project and your level of computer resources.

a. You write

shouldn't 50 GB be enough, when the .MTS files total ca. 40GB

My answer would be no. On the Windows side of things, there are "Scratch Disks", and one of the scratch disks is for Disc Encoding which directs where temporary encoded files will be stored (Encoded Files Folder). If it is the same in Mac, determine how much free space is at the Encoded Files Folder level. If applicable, in Mac see Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and the Disc Encoding category for path to Encoded Files Folder and amount of free space there.

You need more than 50 GB free space at that location.

b. How much installed and available RAM does your computer have?

3. You mention the fix of cutting the original project in half

In desperation, I decided to break the project into two, thus making the two halves more conducive to burning (or so I thought).  Now, having deleted half of the original and saved the balance as "Part 2", with a couple of new short intro frames, the soundtrack elements I originally inserted can't be moved along the timeline - and yet, they can be reinserted via Audio 6!

In spite of the concern about the audio location, as a test run, do each of the 1/2 projects burn to disc without issue? That information should be helpful in sorting out the issues.

Please consider. Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: I am at my wit's end.  Please, please, rescue me!
                A.T. Romano Level 7

jemredman

I assumed that your original discussion was concluded when I posted my comments in post 3 of your thread.

Please put my comments on hold until the prior discussion is concluded so as to maintain its continuity.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: I am at my wit's end.  Please, please, rescue me!
                  jemredman Level 1

Belated thanks for this Mr Romano.  In the end, I dumped my project and started again.  Conclusions:

1.  The onboard burner is shot.

2.  Changing .mp3 to .wav produces a warning that the proper codec isn't installed.

3.  Having installed "Clean my Mac", it's clear from the real-time usage diagnostic that 4GB of RAM is nowhere near capable of manipulating complex Premiere projects, and so I'm going to invest in 16GB.

I have, however, managed - finally - to burn the rewritten project across two discs, on an external burner, having transferred all of the video to a 64GB memory stick, using Video Importer to reacquire it, and transferred 40GB of photos to another.  So, thanks once again.

Kind regards

JR

• 6. Re: I am at my wit's end.  Please, please, rescue me!
                    jemredman Level 1

Steve

Thanks for your assistance.  Please see my reply to Mr Romano.

Kind regards

JR

• 7. Re: I am at my wit's end.  Please, please, rescue me!
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

JR

Thank for for the update, exploring the troubleshooting suggestions, and sharing the details of your success which you gained by putting all the factors together. Well done.

Best wishes moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR