• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

why fonts' royalties can not be bought by customers?

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I make a website for a client and use a font of Adobe Typekit, the collection of royalties falls into my account and not in my client's account. How to transfer this charge to the customer?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi monicah2015,

Thanks for your interest in Typekit!  There are two options:

o) host the fonts for your client on your own Typekit subscription.

o) set up a Typekit subscription for your client and use that on the website

Using Typekit to serve fonts for client sites is permitted on Business Plans only. Business Plans support an unlimited number of websites with any number of fonts per site. The only limitation on these plans is for pageviews; plans begin at 2M pageviews a month. Full details are here: https://typekit.com/plans/business

Under the Business plan, you would create a separate "kit" for each client site; the kit defines the fonts in use for that site and the domain names they should be delivered to. 

An alternative is to set up a Typekit account for each of your clients or ask them to establish one and share the sign in credentials with you during development. This allows the Typekit fonts to be one of the deliverables that you hand off to the client when the project is completed. It also attaches the annual Typekit subscription fee to your client's billing information instead of your Typekit plan.

I hope that this helps clarify things. Let me know if you have any other questions!

-- liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Liz, thanks for your answer.

The problem in creating an account for each client is the subscrition Typekit is in dollars, and Brazil is going through an economic instability. In these times, people want to know how much will spend a month to maintain their services. Charge only in dollars means that the client, in a few months, prefers to replace all fonts of your website by Google fonts or standard fonts. As a designer, I would not want it done.

The problem leaving the client account linked to my account is that often the client only hires us to develop the site layout, but not for maintenance, which prevents the monthly charge. So I ask again: there is the possibility that the client buys the font directly from Typekit, without subscrition? And how the number of pageviews may be checked? I'll have to explain to the client how it accesses this information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Monicah,

Thanks for your reply.  First let me mention that the Typekit Portfolio & Performance plans, which include enough pageviews for many client websites, are billed annually (not monthly).  If you client signs up for a Typekit Portfolio plan, for example, it will be one annual payment of $49.99 USD.

> So I ask again: there is the possibility that the client buys the font directly from Typekit, without subscrition?

No, Typekit is a subscription service.  Many foundries sell web font licenses for self-hosting from their own website or through a reseller, though, if you'd prefer to try that.

Another option is to use a font which is available in the Adobe Edge Web Fonts collection:

https://edgewebfonts.adobe.com/

Edge Web Fonts are free, so there is no subscription required.  And the Edge Web Fonts are served from our font network, so you get the same speed and reliability as you do with Typekit. Edge Web Fonts does not include the full Typekit font library, but there are many similar selections which may work for your client projects.

> And how the number of pageviews may be checked?

This help page explains how (and why) we count pageviews:

Adobe Typekit Help: Plan limits for sync & website pageviews

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Best,

-- liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines