3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2006 12:48 AM by Chris Cox

How to use the .ase files?

Peter_Breis
      As a test I imported a few Kuler .ase files into Illustrator CS2.

They appear to be spot RGB colors all labelled Unnamed Global Color, which clash when I drag in a second lot.

I made 2 files, one set to RGB, the other to CMYK.

In the RGB file the colors came in close to the specification in Kuler. One color was off by 1 in one value.

In the CMYK file the colors seem to be converting from the RGB because the specs were nothing like that in Kuler, although the appearance was similar.

Not very useful because I really dislike specifications using CMYK values set to 2 decimal places. I like clean specs because that way I can make sensible adjustments and remember which is which.

These are the issues as I see them.

1. Importing the color schemes via Menu > Window > Swatches > Popup menu > Open Swatch Library > Popup menu > Other Library... > Dialog box > Hunt for file is more than a bit tedious:– How about drag & drop? Works in Cocoa apps.

2. Having them come in as Unnamed Global Color is unhelpful.

3. Having them clash because they all have the same name is further unhelpful.

4. Being RGB and dropping the CMYK values is more than unhelpful, it is almost crippling for a print designer.

What exact purpose are these .ase files serving?

I had created my own system of a bar of named colors, made in Illustrator in both CYyK and RGB then dragged into wherever required. That seems to be more practical than these .ase files.

Am I missing something?
        • 1. Re: How to use the .ase files?
          Level 7
          1) Um, drag and drop has nothing to do with Cocoa (which tends to make apps that use it slow and buggy).

2) is probably a bug or oversite in Kuler

3) That's a direct result of 2 and the way Illustrator works, not a separate problem.

4) They have to have some color model, and it is RGB.
          Then they get converted to whatever colorspace you're using for your CMYK documents. The only thing "crippling" is if you happen to pick colors that are out of gamut for your CMYK colorspace.

ASE files are swatch files that all of the Adobe CS2 applications can read and write. They are serving that purpose well (when Kuler doesn't hit the ase.xml bug).
          • 2. How to use the .ase files?
            Peter_Breis Level 1
            1. It works in most Mac programs, in particular dragging a sample into Apple's Color Picker. Adobe's decision to make the simple difficult, is what I was questioning.

btw What makes Illustrator CS2 much more slow and buggy, if it is not drag and drop?

2. Will we see a fix?

3. Ditto.

4. Kuler has a perfectly sensible CMYK value for the color swatches. What is the point of having an arcane, unintelligble (I checked it in a text editor) .ase file format if all it contains are just a string of RGB values, which could have been human editable as they were way back in PageMaker's day.
            • 3. Re: How to use the .ase files?
              Level 7
              I can't comment for the Kuler team about bug fixes.

But they are reading this forum.

The point of the .ASE format is that it contain a LOT more information, and is very fast to parse, and doesn't encourage people to muck around with them (which leads to all kinds of problems when you try to read the files back in).