4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2015 4:14 PM by BJBBJB1

Lightroom Mobile SD card integration

BJBBJB1 Level 1

Greetings.  I really did search to find out a specific answer to this question related to the current version of LR Mobile and desktop CC that is out there but could not find answers to all of my questions.

I have a Samsung S5 phone running android 5.0.  There are some oddities on how android handles SD card access.  I understand there is now a checkbox in LR mobile regarding SD card use.  Here is what I want to know:

1)  All of my images taken with the phone camera go to my SD card as JPEG's.  Will they sync back to my desktop form my android phone for images taken with my camera phone and saved to my SD card?

2) When designate a collection to sync in Lightroom desktop, and it syncs onto my S5, will it also use the SD card for THOSE images and related storage space needs based on this setting?

Thanks,

BJBBJB1

• 1. Re: Lightroom Mobile SD card integration
          sarsaxen Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi BJBBJB1,

1. Yes if you import images from your camera card to Lightroom mobile then it would be sync to the desktop version of Lightroom.

2. No, the images from the collection you have synced from desktop version of Lightroom would just appear as a smart previews under Lightroom Mobile and would take some small space from your default storage on your mobile.

Regards

Sarika

• 2. Re: Lightroom Mobile SD card integration
            BJBBJB1 Level 1

Sarika,

Thanks.  So for my photos taken by my android camera, 100's of them...if I setup that collection to "import" them into Lightroom Mobile, does it just create a link to them in LR mobile like the desktop version?  Or does it copy some version of those images into the main memory area.

As far as sync'd collections FROM my desktop TO the phone, it sure seems like it should be able to be set to use the SD card for this storage.

I must have missed something though. I have not installed the mobile version yet because I wanted to understand how much space it would take up.....

But I thought that I read that it now has an SD card "checkbox" now.  What does that do or was the poster not correct?

BJBBJB1

• 3. Re: Lightroom Mobile SD card integration
              sarsaxen Adobe Employee (Admin)

The images that you have captured from your android camera can be directly sync to Lightroom desktop version using Lightroom mobile.

It is not going to sync the original file rather a smart preview.

Images from Lightroom desktop version to your Lightroom Mobile would take default storage space on your phone.

For more information please check the below link:

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Sync Lightroom desktop and the Lightroom mobile app

Get started with Lightroom on mobile | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC tutorials

Adobe Lightroom for mobile FAQ

~Sarika

• 4. Re: Lightroom Mobile SD card integration
                BJBBJB1 Level 1

Thanks....Just trying to figure out the workflow for an image taken with a camera phone. I am looking through those links too.

So there really is no way to use LR mobile to take image taken by the camera on your phone (which these days might be a 16MB camera that produces 5,000kb files), sync it to your desktop, edit it with Lightroom desktop, and print a full rez print from it on your desktop?  If it is just a smart preview, that is not going to cut it.  Just trying to figure out what you are supposed to do if all you get is a smart preview.  Sync the image, make adjustments, take your phone, connect it to your desktop, copy the full rez JPEG file to your desktop, then import that, and somehow marry that to the smart preview and then print???

I fully understand that desktop collections sent TO the phone are just smart previews.  But I would have thought that although a smart preview might be used on the phone to make adjustments to photos taken on the phone, that eventually it would also sync the full rez. file. Or else I just can't see how that workflow helps....

BJBBJB1