7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2015 7:24 PM by A.T. Romano

Problems with Adobe Premiere Elements 13 shutting down properly on Windows 7?

danielb4195942

Hi Everybody!

I have a Zoostorm desktop PC, which runs on Windows 7. I have installed Adobe Premiere Elements 13. I have been using it to edit together an existing DVD project of my trip to Australia in 2014.

So far so good. But lately, over the past 3 weeks or so, I have had issues with shutting down Premiere Elements 13 after use. The edited project is autosaved, but when I go to close the software down, I click on the X in the top right-hand corner, and the blue status wheel rotates ad infinitum, and then when I click again, I get a pop-up box saying: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 has not shut down properly, Windows is looking for a solution to the problem - or words to that effect.

This problem started when I began to cut together footage from a JVC Mini DV tape, which broke on me while I was in Australia. I was able to recover and import about 28 mins worth of footage (shot on 90 mins LP) before the break in the tape. The other half of the broken tape footage managed to be recovered by an online company called DVDedit.co.uk, who sent me a CD/DVD of the restored footage as an MPEG2 file and as a DVD file.

I have since cut 6 mins of the damaged footage, which plays OK, but I cannot save the file onto my PC hard drive because the encoding progress stays constantly at 0% Maybe the original video footage file is too corrupted.

So, last night, I tried jettisoning the damaged footage completely, thereby drastically reducing the length/size of my project. But, still same thing: blue status wheel spins non-stop and pop-up message: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 has not shut down properly, Windows is looking for a solution message. I also still cannot save the completed file onto my hard drive,or disc because: encoding still @ 0% 

I think the damaged footage may have caused a system crash. The good news is, I bought the software from John  Lewis shop, not as a download, so I still have the original installation discs. But, I'm worried that if I uninstall, and the re-install the software, I may lose my original existing project file. I don't really want to have to start over again.

Is there another way?

Thanks and best wishes,

Daniel Bowes

• 1. Re: Problems with Adobe Premiere Elements 13 shutting down properly on Windows 7?
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First of all, this is the Premiere Pro forum, so I hope a mod will move it to the Premiere Elements forum.

danielb4195942 wrote:

But, I'm worried that if I uninstall, and the re-install the software, I may lose my original existing project file. I don't really want to have to start over again.

Is there another way?

If you can find the project file and save it to a new location on your computer (make a backup copy on an external drive while you are at it), you can open it after you reinstall.  You may need to relink the media, bit it should prompt you for that.

You can also use the Project Archiver:

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Archiving projects

• 2. Re: Problems with Adobe Premiere Elements 13 shutting down properly on Windows 7?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, how did you digitize your miniDV footage? Did you use a program like WinDV, which, when your camcorder is connected via a FireWire connection, saves your footage as DV-AVIs? Other capture devices and other software may not be saving your footage in the ideal format for editing in Premiere Elements.

Second, you say that you shut down the program and it's saving your project. But what happens if you just save your project without shutting down the program? Have you given your project a name and successfully saved it?

Finally, make sure you have the latest updates to version 13 by going to the Help menu and selecting Check for Updates. It's possible the program is bugging up when it's trying to clear the media cache as it closes. If that's the case, an update may fix this or you can turn off the Clear the Cache option in the preferences.

Once we've got answers to those questions, we'll have a better idea what's going on.

• 3. Re: Problems with Adobe Premiere Elements 13 shutting down properly on Windows 7?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Daniel Bowes

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7 64 bit

1. Please explore deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file found

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 13.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path cited.

2. Make sure that you do not have pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, and conformed video files. Check Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks to assure that each of the categories is pointing to a save location with enough free hard drive space to accept files that the project automatically sends to those locations.

3. If the timing is appropriate, you might explore a System Restore. System Restore is not one of my typical choices, but if need be.....

4. You can go for the

Uninstall the usual Control Panel way

Do the free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts) CCleaner - Download

Reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled

When you have established that 13 is working for you, then download and install the 13.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

The ccleaner is not the Adobe CC (creative cloud) cleaner, and I prefer the ccleaner cited above because of its automatic highly effective regular as well as registry cleaning components. Others will probably point to other cleaners. In the Premiere Elements Forum for a Premiere Elements solution, I maintain my suggestion. The ccleaner is free. No purchased version of it is needed.

Uninstall and reinstall should not impact your saved projects. Just do not move, relocate, or rename any files and folders that went into existing projects after you save close those projects. For the safety net, best use the File Menu/Project Archiver/Copy Project option. If project has disc menus, then special considerations if you move to another computer with the project file in the Archiver Copies Folder.

Please consider. Any questions please let us know.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Problems with Adobe Premiere Elements 13 shutting down properly on Windows 7?
                danielb4195942 Level 1

To Peru Bob, Steve Grimasi, A.T. Romano:

Thank you to everybody who has replied to my problem. I have found your information very helpful. I have tried the following:

1. I used the check for updates option, and upgraded to Adobe Premiere Elements 13.1.
                2. I have deleted all the Prefs files and the Preview files - not just for this project, but all the other projects I've done before, which were saved.
                3. I have even uninstalled the current version I was using off my computer, and then re-installed it using the original installation disk.
                4. I have now re-upgraded to Adobe Premiere Elements 13.1
                5. But, after all that, I still have the same problem: the damaged footage file autosaves on Adobe, but does not save to computer or DVD: encoding still @ 0% forever. Also, the files BEFORE THAT autosave, but don't save to PC or DVD, encoding still @ 0%

So, there we are. I have blitzed (deleted) all the files that were unwanted, saved the original edited files onto an external hard-drive, re-installed and upgraded the software, and I'm still getting the same problem: can't save the edited file onto PC, or DVD, and still get the Adobe Premiere Elements 13 is not responding, Windows 7 is looking for a solution, click to Close the Program Now message.

I'm even thinking now of going to Roxio on the Internet, and downloading their software (but still keeping Adobe Premiere Elements 13), for the time being, so that I play one software off against the other, to see which is more successful in salvaging the damaged footage into a finished project.

I really appreciate everybody's help and advice - thank you. But right now, I am at a bit of a loss.

Regards

Daniel Bowes

• 5. Re: Problems with Adobe Premiere Elements 13 shutting down properly on Windows 7?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Daniel Bowes

In the thoughts of never give up, I offer the following for you to evaluate

1. What video card/graphics card does your computer use? Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher or other? If your computer does not use those cards, then go to

Edit Menu

Preferences

General

and remove the check mark next to the preference "Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher).

2. What happens if you disable the AutoSave feature in Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoSave and just manually hit Save more frequently in the opened project?

3. In all you have done, have you looked at the problems with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled?

4. What about the video card/graphics card driver version - up to date? If up to date, have you considered rolling back the driver for troubleshooting purposes?

Just some things to think about.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: Problems with Adobe Premiere Elements 13 shutting down properly on Windows 7?
                    danielb4195942 Level 1

Hello ATR,

Thank you for your last message. I have tried what you suggested:

1. Removed the check mark against "Use Hardware Acceleration"
                    2. Disabled the AutoSave feature.
                    3. Not sure about how to go about the disabling of antivirus / firewalls
                    4. I've checked my computer control panel and it runs on: Intel HD Graphics 4600, Intel Core i5, Intel 4th Generation Core Processor DRAM Controller and Intel Graphics Driver Version: 10.1810.3960 74.2 MB.
                    5. I also have a Firewire 1 Internal & 2 External PCI Express Card.
                    6. The PC is a Zoostorm, which runs on Windows 7 Home Premium, with 1.81 TB

Now, I have done/checked all these things. In a separate development, I even managed to download some video off the Internet, save it to my PC, and burn it to DVD successfully, with no problems as a New Project

But, with my existing Australia project, I still cannot save it to PC/DVD or AVCHD or XAVC-S, encoding still @ 0% (which it has been for the last 2 hours). Also, close the program because Windows is looking for a solution message, Adobe Premiere Elements 13 not shut down correctlystill comes up. By the way, the damaged footage file is now MPEG2-DVD, with a file size of: 330.31 MB, and duration of: 7 mins, 17.17 seconds. 

That's the information I can give you to the best of my ability/knowledge. I hope it might be of some help.

I am fast running out of options here. Thanks again.

Best wishes,

Daniel

• 7. Re: Problems with Adobe Premiere Elements 13 shutting down properly on Windows 7?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Daniel

Thanks for the reply. Did you ever say if your computer was 32 or 64 bit Windows 7?

Do you have Movie Maker 2012 installed on your computer? Get Movie Maker - Microsoft Windows

Any chance you can take your content into that for export from Movie Maker to an .mp4 file. And then import that .mp4 file

into Premiere Elements project - export from Premiere Elements might be Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with the appropriate MP4 preset.

Still thinking about this.

ATR