8 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2006 11:11 AM by Newsgroup_User

Unique registration form

Level 7
      Was just at a website for an event that's upcoming. Instead of an online
      form, you click a button that generates an email pre-addressed back to
      them. HOWEVER, it also includes the information they want. How do they
      do that? (LibraryItems leads me to believe they may use Dreamweaver)

I see the form table and the fields <INPUT> (in green type) however,
      it's not onscreen. There is a line for the link to mail back to them
      just after the </form>.

http://www.walmartwalkformiracles.ca/wtgi_volunteer.html
        • 1. Re: Unique registration form
          Level 7
          Aside from this being a crappy way to fill-out a form, disregard everything
          inside the <form> </form> tags. Look at the <a href="...."> link directly
          below the form code and that has all the formatting in it. It's simply using
          a 'mailto:' command which will open their default e-mail client.

Then all of the information in the body is coded out like so:

Body=Thank%20you%20for%20showing%20your%20interest%20in%20volunteering%20your%20time%20for %20the%20Wal-Mart%20Walk%2
          You get the idea - it's a pretty poor way to do that since not everyone
          using Outlook or Thunderbird or something along those lines.

I wouldn't reccomend duplicating this method, IMHO...

--
          Shane H
          shane@NOSPAMavenuedesigners.com
          http://www.avenuedesigners.com

"Raizel" <raizel@idonotuse.com> wrote in message
          news:e4dei4$ojj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Was just at a website for an event that's upcoming. Instead of an online
          > form, you click a button that generates an email pre-addressed back to
          > them. HOWEVER, it also includes the information they want. How do they
          > do that? (LibraryItems leads me to believe they may use Dreamweaver)
          >
          > I see the form table and the fields <INPUT> (in green type) however,
          > it's not onscreen. There is a line for the link to mail back to them
          > just after the </form>.
          >
          > http://www.walmartwalkformiracles.ca/wtgi_volunteer.html

• 2. Re: Unique registration form
            Level 7
            In article <e4dg8h$qmi$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
            "Shane H" <shane@NOSPAMavenuedesigners.com> wrote:

> Body=Thank%20you%20for%20showing%20your%20interest%20in%20volunteering%20your%
            > 20time%20for%20the%20Wal-Mart%20Walk%2
            > You get the idea - it's a pretty poor way to do that since not everyone
            > using Outlook or Thunderbird or something along those lines.
            >
            > I wouldn't reccomend duplicating this method, IMHO...
            >

I don't. I use Apple Mail and had no problem with the email. In fact
            IMHO, it's 100% better than a lot of these type of forms I complete then
            have no record of. At least this way I have the sent message with the
            exact details of what I gave.

Yeah, sure, you can create a confirmation page but trust me, many don't.
            I'm now having to go back and write orgn's asking do they know I want to
            volunteer!
            • 3. Re: Unique registration form
              Level 7
              Raizel wrote:
              > In article <e4dg8h$qmi$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
              > "Shane H" <shane@NOSPAMavenuedesigners.com> wrote:
              >
              >> Body=Thank%20you%20for%20showing%20your%20interest%20in%20volunteering%20your%
              >> 20time%20for%20the%20Wal-Mart%20Walk%2
              >> You get the idea - it's a pretty poor way to do that since not everyone
              >> using Outlook or Thunderbird or something along those lines.
              >>
              >> I wouldn't reccomend duplicating this method, IMHO...
              >>
              >
              > I don't. I use Apple Mail and had no problem with the email. In fact
              > IMHO, it's 100% better than a lot of these type of forms I complete then
              > have no record of. At least this way I have the sent message with the
              > exact details of what I gave.
              >
              > Yeah, sure, you can create a confirmation page but trust me, many don't.
              > I'm now having to go back and write orgn's asking do they know I want to
              > volunteer!

I guess what the previous poster was referring to is that if you use a
              computer that doesn't have an email client configured (lets say you sit
              in an internet cafe in Bombay or wherever) and you are not using Apple
              Mail, or Thunderbird or Outlook or any of the likes, then the mailto:
              simply doesn't work.

In that sense it doens't make sense to use this method...

If you use any kind of scripting language it is really NO problem to
              send a confirmation email to the person who filled it out, if that is
              what you are aiming for.

Anurag
              • 4. Re: Unique registration form
                Level 7
                In article <e4e545$ka5$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                Anurag <chetan_anurag@yahoo.de> wrote:

> I guess what the previous poster was referring to is that if you use a
                > computer that doesn't have an email client configured (lets say you sit
                > in an internet cafe in Bombay or wherever) and you are not using Apple
                > Mail, or Thunderbird or Outlook or any of the likes, then the mailto:
                > simply doesn't work.
                >
                > In that sense it doens't make sense to use this method...
                >
                > If you use any kind of scripting language it is really NO problem to
                > send a confirmation email to the person who filled it out, if that is
                > what you are aiming for.

In fairness to the webmaster of the site, they already know the
                potential visitor/user isn't visiting the site without access to email.
                They'd all be within the range of the event location and using home/work
                email. I've not tried public computers at the library. Will do that for
                my own education. And, if that's the case, online form won't work either
                as I've read that requires email app too? So, no difference.

As for the confirmation -- yes, I know a confirmation page can be done
                to redirect to. My point is too many don't bother! Hence as I said, I
                liked the notion of the different approach. Also, it's too easy to skip
                fields in online forms and going back each time to complete is a
                nuisance (mandatory fields). Don't know if email would make difference
                depends on "layout".

I tried to copy their code into a new page and test. Got a blank page
                instead of the explanation and the submit button (I substituted the
                image for one of mine to make it work). So, there's something I'm
                missing in all of this.
                • 5. Re: Unique registration form
                  Level 7
                  Raizel wrote:
                  > In article <e4e545$ka5$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                  > Anurag <chetan_anurag@yahoo.de> wrote:
                  >
                  >> I guess what the previous poster was referring to is that if you use a
                  >> computer that doesn't have an email client configured (lets say you sit
                  >> in an internet cafe in Bombay or wherever) and you are not using Apple
                  >> Mail, or Thunderbird or Outlook or any of the likes, then the mailto:
                  >> simply doesn't work.
                  >>
                  >> In that sense it doens't make sense to use this method...
                  >>
                  >> If you use any kind of scripting language it is really NO problem to
                  >> send a confirmation email to the person who filled it out, if that is
                  >> what you are aiming for.
                  >
                  > In fairness to the webmaster of the site, they already know the
                  > potential visitor/user isn't visiting the site without access to email.
                  > They'd all be within the range of the event location and using home/work
                  > email. I've not tried public computers at the library. Will do that for
                  > my own education. And, if that's the case, online form won't work either
                  > as I've read that requires email app too? So, no difference.

No, the difference is whether there is a default email client on the
                  computer. The contact form works in the browser, whereas the mailto
                  requires that your email app will open. So, even if I have a yahoo!
                  account that I use Outlook Express or Eudora to access, I can go online
                  and read my mail at the library, but of course at the library OE won't
                  open for me. But the contact page and the thank you will work right in
                  the browser there.
                  >
                  > As for the confirmation -- yes, I know a confirmation page can be done
                  > to redirect to. My point is too many don't bother! Hence as I said, I
                  > liked the notion of the different approach. Also, it's too easy to skip
                  > fields in online forms and going back each time to complete is a
                  > nuisance (mandatory fields). Don't know if email would make difference
                  > depends on "layout".

That is merely a matter of how you set up your validation.
                  >
                  > I tried to copy their code into a new page and test. Got a blank page
                  > instead of the explanation and the submit button (I substituted the
                  > image for one of mine to make it work). So, there's something I'm
                  > missing in all of this.

--
                  Bonnie in California
                  kroko at
                  pixelplum dot com
                  http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CTDSites.woa
                  • 6. Re: Unique registration form
                    bregent Most Valuable Participant
                    >And, if that's the case, online form won't work either as I've read that requires email app too? So, no difference.

No. A server side scripted solution uses the mail server on the host to send the mail, as opposed to relying on the client to send the mail. Using client side email (mailto) to send forms is unreliable and should be avoided.
                    • 7. Re: Unique registration form
                      Level 7
                      "Raizel" <raizel@idonotuse.com> wrote in message
                      news:e4e8vm$noj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >
                      > In fairness to the webmaster of the site, they already know the
                      > potential visitor/user isn't visiting the site without access to email.
                      > They'd all be within the range of the event location and using home/work
                      > email. I've not tried public computers at the library. Will do that for
                      > my own education. And, if that's the case, online form won't work either
                      > as I've read that requires email app too? So, no difference.

Wrong - try again.

>
                      > As for the confirmation -- yes, I know a confirmation page can be done
                      > to redirect to. My point is too many don't bother! Hence as I said, I
                      > liked the notion of the different approach. Also, it's too easy to skip
                      > fields in online forms and going back each time to complete is a
                      > nuisance (mandatory fields). Don't know if email would make difference
                      > depends on "layout".

Mandatory fields via an on-line completion form ensures that the forms you
                      recieve are properly filled in. If you're going to use the EU's e-mail
                      client ... I'd be more than happy to send you thousands of not-completed
                      e-mails...

>
                      > I tried to copy their code into a new page and test. Got a blank page
                      > instead of the explanation and the submit button (I substituted the
                      > image for one of mine to make it work). So, there's something I'm
                      > missing in all of this.

Show us your current code.

--
                      Shane H
                      shane@NOSPAMavenuedesigners.com
                      http://www.avenuedesigners.com

• 8. Re: Unique registration form
                        Level 7
                        In article <e4fnmc$nmi$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                        "bregent" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> No. A server side scripted solution uses the mail server on the host to send
                        > the mail, as opposed to relying on the client to send the mail. Using client
                        > side email (mailto) to send forms is unreliable and should be avoided.

I'm still trying to master converting my form (nmsformmail if I remember
                        correctly) over to mail server form. Haven't quite figured it all out
                        yet.