7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2015 8:04 AM by johnrellis

lightroom not closing

percivalbragg

I have just updated Lightroom on Windows 10 and am noticing that it does not close down completely, the interface closes but a background process is left running making it impossible to restart Lightroom without first killing this process in Task Manager.

Is this a known problem I have only seen 1 other mention of this problem, http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/cannot-close-lr-cc, but no solution.

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: lightroom not closing
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi percivalbragg,

Greetings.

• Open LR
          • Now open task manager
          • Right click on the lightroom application, now click on set priority an =d set to high
          • Close task manager and now try closing LR.

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: lightroom not closing
            percivalbragg Level 1

I followed the instructions, still have the problem. Any other thoughts?

• 3. Re: lightroom not closing
              rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi percivalbragg,

Regards

Rohit

• 4. Re: lightroom not closing
                GordonCLondon

Just to say I have exactly the same problem. I am running 2015-2.1 which cam today for me, but I have had the problem for a few days (probably since last update 4 days ago).

When I close Lightroom it becomes a background process that just sits there. If I then try to start Lightroom I see nothing, but a second background process appears. I can only run Lightroom again if I first kill these processes and then start it.

When Lightroom starts it appears to have forgotten some previous actions (I assume when closed it failed to store them). For example it does not come back to the photo I was working on and when I close it it asks me to do the periodic backup, even though I have actually done that already today.

• 5. Re: lightroom not closing
                  johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

An Adobe employee said that LR 6.2.1 may have fixed this issue, but some others have also reported that it didn't resolve it for him.  So please add your vote and details to this bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom 2015.2 hangs on quit on MacOS 10.11. That will make it more likely Adobe will prioritize the fix.  (This forum here is primarily a user-to-user forum.)

When Lightroom starts it appears to have forgotten some previous actions (I assume when closed it failed to store them). For example it does not come back to the photo I was working on and when I close it it asks me to do the periodic backup, even though I have actually done that already today.

This is likely caused by the fact that LR didn't successfully write out its preferences file when you tried to exit -- all of that previous state is stored there.

• 6. Re: lightroom not closing
                    GordonCLondon Level 1

Ok, thanks. Your link is to the same problem but on MacOS and I am Windows 10. However it is useful as it lead me through to the solution for me which is to reset the Lightroom preferences file. Now I have done that Lightroom closes down completely.

It looks like a corruption in the preferences file is causing Lightroom to hang when it is trying to update the file as it closes.

• 7. Re: lightroom not closing
                      johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                      Your link is to the same problem but on MacOS and I am Windows 10.

People on both platforms are experiencing the symptoms, and it appears that resetting the preferences is solving the issue for many of them.

Please add your vote, details of your problem, and how you solved it to that topic, so that others may benefit: Lightroom 2015.2 hangs on quit