8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2015 10:30 AM by A.T. Romano

Using vob files in premiere elements 12

mariank64291152

Having some old mini DVs converted to vob files. Will vob work in premiere elements 12 as is or will I have to convert them to another format?

• 1. Re: Using vob files in premiere elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

marian

Premiere Elements 12 on what computer operating system?

You will always get those who will point you immediately to converting the DVD video files (VTS_01_1.VOB and series) from MPEG2.VOB to MPEG2.MPEG.

I am not in that group based on my projects. If problems, then the what next.

You should be able to take these VOB files into the Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Timeline and use them in your project. But, what are the properties of these DVD video files - typical 720 x 480 or 720 x 576 or something else?

And where are the files now...still on the DVD disc or on a data disc that someone sent you with the individual VOB files?

With Premiere Elements 12/12.1, you can rip/copy the DVD video files directly from the DVD disc (Add Media/DVD camera or Computer drive/Video Importer) or bring in individual DVD video files (already copied) from the hard drive save location (Add Media/Files and Folders/).

Please review, consider, and supply more information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Using vob files in premiere elements 12
            A.T. Romano Level 7

mariank

Thanks for the reply, but the reply posted without a message.

Please try again to post the message with the troubleshooting details as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Using vob files in premiere elements 12
              mariank64291152 Level 1

Here is the information you requested

Premiere Elements 12 on what computer operating system?  windows 7

You will always get those who will point you immediately to converting the DVD video files (VTS_01_1.VOB and series) from MPEG2.VOB to MPEG2.MPEG.

I am not in that group based on my projects. If problems, then the what next.

You should be able to take these VOB files into the Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Timeline and use them in your project. But, what are the properties of these DVD video files - typical 720 x 480 or 720 x 576 or something else? company doing the conversion calls it a "standard" DVD/ mpg2 format

And where are the files now...still on the DVD disc or on a data disc that someone sent you with the individual VOB files? they will send me a dvd

With Premiere Elements 12/12.1, you can rip/copy the DVD video files directly from the DVD disc (Add Media/DVD camera or Computer drive/Video Importer) or bring in individual DVD video files (already copied) from the hard drive save location (Add Media/Files and Folders/). are you sure this will work direct? if it doesn't work, the company suggested using nero recoder program - said it takes about 2 hrs to do 10 dvds  OR they will convert it for me to mpg4 files for $5 per tape - hate to pay that money as I have 40 mini dvs

THANKS for your help

• 5. Re: Using vob files in premiere elements 12
                A.T. Romano Level 7

mariank

Thanks for the reply with the important troubleshooting details.

But, I want to make sure that we are OK with the exchange of information between us.

If you have what you describe as 40 mini dv's and standard, I am interpreting that to mean that you have 40 min DVD-R discs which each contain content in the DVD-VIDEO format (if NTSC setup, 720 x 480 4:3 @ 29.97/30 frames per second.

If you now have Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and those discs in your possession, it is easy enough to do a feasibility study to decide "do it yourself" or "get a company to do this for you at a fee".

1. Most burners that I have dealt with accept these mini DVD-R discs as well as regular sized ones. Put your mini DVD-R disc in the burner tray. Close out of there.

2. Open Premiere Elements 12/12.1 to the Expert workspace. Go to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset manually for NTSC DV Standard.

Here I am assuming that you are working in a NTSC (29.97/30 frames per second) setup and that you content is 720 x 480 4:3.

3. When you are finished with setting the project preset, then use Expert workspace Add Media/DVD camera or Computer Drive/Video Importer to import your DVD video files into the Premiere Elements project. To start select only VTS_01_1.VOB to import into the project ---in the Video Importer work area, you do have the choice of

a. Save to hard drive only without taking the VOB into the project.

or

b. Save to hard drive and take the VOB into the project.

4. Once you have the VTS_01_1.VOB on the Expert workspace Timeline, determine if you get good playback of video and audio and that the video and audio are in sync. (The large file size for the files that you seek should be your guide to identifying them besides their names.)

If that works, then you know that you can do the job yourself if your time permits.

Please consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Using vob files in premiere elements 12
                  mariank64291152 Level 1

I have not ordered the conversion request yet and so do not have the DVDs in hand. I think I will send in one order of 10 and try your suggestion, then if that doesn't work I will either purchase the recoder software or have the company do the conversion - a lot of money, but will save me many hours of time.

Thank you so much for your assistance

• 7. Re: Using vob files in premiere elements 12
                    mariank64291152 Level 1

I have not ordered the conversion request yet and so do not have the DVDs in hand. I think I will send in one order of 10 and try your suggestion, then if that doesn't work I will either purchase the recoder software or have the company do the conversion - a lot of money, but will save me many hours of time.

Thank you so much for your assistance

Marian

• 8. Re: Using vob files in premiere elements 12
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Marian

Thanks for the replies.

We will be looking forward to learning of your progress as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR