14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2015 1:45 AM by Samoreen

Wanted to update LR 6.0 but migrated to LR CC 2015

Samoreen Level 2

Hi,

In my photo club we have 4 PCs where LR 6.0 was installed. We used the Help | Updates menu to update to 6.2 and now on all PCs, the About box says that we are running LR CC 2015.2 (which is indeed the case).

We tried the disconnect/connect trick which allowed us to re-enter the license key of LR 6. To no avail. We re still running in LR CC mode.

How to get back to LR 6.2 ?

Thanks.

• 2. Re: Wanted to update LR 6.0 but migrated to LR CC 2015
          sarsaxen Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Samoreen,

If the steps mentioned in the article shared by F McLion doesn't help please follow the below steps:

1. Uninstall Lightroom

2. Uninstall Creative Cloud desktop application

3. Restart your system

4. Install Lightroom again from the below link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-downloads.html

Regards

Sarika

• 3. Re: Wanted to update LR 6.0 but migrated to LR CC 2015
            Samoreen Level 2

sarsaxen, F.McLion,

I already did what F.McLion suggested. It worked on one of our 4 PCs but the next time I relaunched Lightroom on this PC, I was back to the CC trial.

> Download Photoshop Lightroom

Does this link points to the 6.2 version? I initially installed LR 6.0 from the direct download links provided by Adobe and this was OK: LR 6.0 installed. The problem appeared when I tried to update. Adobe CC desktop was installed without asking me and eventually I ended up with LR CC trials. So the problem is with the updater. Normally, we should use Adobe Application Manager but why is it installing CC Desktop without asking?

What a mess... Why are Adobe making this process so complicated?

I can't try your suggestion before monday. I'll get back to you then.

Regards.

• 4. Re: Wanted to update LR 6.0 but migrated to LR CC 2015
              Samoreen Level 2

sarsaxen,

Samoreen wrote:

> Download Photoshop Lightroom

Does this link points to the 6.2 version?

OK. I have the answer. The installer pointed to by this link is exactly the same as the one I used to install LR 6.0 and I didn't get a CC trial. I already did what you suggest on all our systems before starting this thread :

1. Uninstall Lightroom

3. Restart your system

So once I have installed LR 6.0, the same problem will show up again when I'll try to update to LR 6.2.

What we need is an installer for LR 6.2.1 . Can you provide a link to such an installer?

Regards.

• 5. Re: Wanted to update LR 6.0 but migrated to LR CC 2015

Would you please try the following link to update Lightroom:

Keeping Lightroom Up-to-Date

~Sarika

• 6. Re: Wanted to update LR 6.0 but migrated to LR CC 2015
                  Samoreen Level 2

Sarika,

Before trying the solution that you suggest (we have multiple PCs having this problem and this will take time), I was wondering whether the 2 following solutions could help :

1. Assuming we do nothing and let the 4 PCs run the LR CC 2015.2 trial version. Normally, if things are running correctly and since I have already entered an LR 6 perpetual license key, Lightroom should automatically revert back to LR 6 perpetual after 30 days? This would be the expected logical behavior.

OR

2. I think that this bug is caused by something that went wrong with the Adobe account that we used to install LR 6.0. What about the following procedure :

- Create a brand new Adobe account with a new email address.

- Disconnect LR and exit.

- Reboot the PC and relaunch LR.

- Go thru the procedure described above by F.McLion but connecting instead with that brand new Adobe account and entering again our LR 6 perpetual license key.

I guess you'll answer "well, just try" but I'd like to be sure that I will not break even more an already broken situation.

By the way, I'm aware of multiple similar cases in my environment where LR 6.0 perpetual switched to CC "trial" by itself after applying an update. The strange thing in these cases is that they are still running LR CC after about 2-3 months and that nothing particular happened. These users are still enjoying LR CC at this time without having subscribed to it. Which tends to demonstrate again that the whole installation process is broken anyway, which we already knew.

Slightly tired to spend so much time on issues that should not even exist.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Wanted to update LR 6.0 but migrated to LR CC 2015
                    Samoreen Level 2

Sarika,

Solution #2 described above didn't work.

The solution you described

1. Uninstall Lightroom

3. Restart your system

didn't work either because even after uninstalling LR CC and rebooting the system, Adobe Desktop CC refuses to be uninstalled "because some applications still need it". Which one ? Lightroom CC 2015 that I has just uninstalled. Just kidding me.

So I used the Adobe CC Desktop Cleanup utility to remove CC Desktop but this didn't help. I reinstalled LR 6.0 (ok - this was not CC) and patched it with the patches files that you mentioned. And Lightroom immediately switched to Lightroom CC 2015.

Disconnecting, reconnecting and reentering the LR 6 license key didn't help. LR still insisted to impersonate LR CC 2015.

I'm really fed up with this mess. I have no way to update a clean LR 6.0 installation without it immediately switching to LR CC 2015.

The only choice that I have now is to let Lightroom run as CC 2015 and see what will happen when it will realize that I have no subscription for the 4 PCs in our club. A very bothering situation (imagine that the software be disabled during a course session).

Now I do need a clean and safe way to install LR 6.2.1 perpetual license.

• 8. Re: Wanted to update LR 6.0 but migrated to LR CC 2015

Hi Samoreen,

I have sent you a personal message please check and reply.

Regards

Sarika

• 9. Re: Wanted to update LR 6.0 but migrated to LR CC 2015
                        Samoreen Level 2

Hi,

We will start teaching Lightroom 6 lessons in one month and our problem is still not fixed. I have tried everything I could do on these systems to reinstall a clean LR 6.0 (which succeeded) but any attempt to update to 6.2.1 (even after having entered our LR 6 license key and whatever the method used to update) still results in an immediate switch to LR CC 2015 trial, with an unwanted installation of Adobe CC Desktop in some cases.

So I'm afraid we could be in a situation where our copies of LR 6 will be locked then since the CC trial will have expired at this time.

So we are still waiting for a solution and for an answer to my question : will LR CC trial automatically switch to LR 6 when the trial expires ?

Thanks.

PS  Anyone having the same problem?

• 10. Re: Wanted to update LR 6.0 but migrated to LR CC 2015

I would suggest you to please revert to Lightroom 6.1.1 and not to update to 6.2 at this moment.

~Sarika

• 11. Re: Wanted to update LR 6.0 but migrated to LR CC 2015
                            Samoreen Level 2

Hi Sarika,

If I remember well, I had exactly the same problem when updating to version 6.1. I will check this within the next few days.

Regards.

• 12. Re: Wanted to update LR 6.0 but migrated to LR CC 2015
                              Samoreen Level 2

Hi Sarika,

Someone told me that this behavior could be tied to the nature of our license (a group license of type CLP Education). Since version 6.1, a copy of Lightroom validated with such a license would behave and would be branded as CC 2015.1.

Can you confirm?

• 13. Re: Wanted to update LR 6.0 but migrated to LR CC 2015
                                F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I guess you are correct.

We had the same issues with 6.0 and did not have access to the new functions like Dehaze. I was in contact with Adobe at that time and they changed it so the new features acan be used with education that uses packaging to distribute to the clients of classroom (VDI environment).

From the release notes 6.1.1 / 2015.1.1:

Enterprise customers were unable to access functionality only available in the Creative Cloud version of Lightroom, such as Dehaze.

• 14. Re: Wanted to update LR 6.0 but migrated to LR CC 2015
                                  Samoreen Level 2

OK, thanks F.McLion. I'll wait for the confirmation that this also applies to the CLP Education license. This would of course be an unexpected but satisfactory explanation to this "problem".