9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2006 7:55 AM by Newsgroup_User

New to program...  general questions

99.9kelowna

Trying to grasp just what the purpose of Fireworks is...
      Build a page (letter size) using imported graphics (.jpgs) and then using the text tool to insert text, which I see each line is a separate layer. This then saved as a .png file which I assume I can print out, like a brochure. Having no problem grouping and ungrouping objects etc Printing though is a challenge as text appears blurry
      I then thought must be because this program is for .jpg or other graphic manipulation only and so downloaded Macromedia PhotoShop. Recreated this page the same way and again the fonts appear blurred.
      Fonts are not obscure but typical Arial Times NR Tahoma etc. I have tried varied fonts to see if it helped but it did not.
      Now thinking I am the problem and I am doing something wrong with the program...
      Any ideas?
      Is Fireworks main purpose to cut and maniputlate pictures???? Does a fantastic job of scaling my graphics for web but as to doing anything creative and fance well I am not there yet. Would like to soften the edges of a round cutout for instance, have done this in other programs but can not seem to find a way to do it in fireworks....
      Any assitance, comments and or help appreciated including links to free tutorials
        • 1. Re: New to program...  general questions
          Level 7
          99.9kelowna wrote:
          >
          > Trying to grasp just what the purpose of Fireworks is...

For designing Web pages. It was developed specifically for Web graphics,
          and is not recommended for print.

> Would like to soften the edges of a round
          > cutout for instance,

Make sure you are using antialiasing. If that doesn't soften the edge
          enough, add a soft rounded stroke.

Here's a good place to start for Fireworks tutorials.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/
          --
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
          • 2. Re: New to program...  general questions
            Level 7
            On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 06:09:43 +0300, 99.9kelowna
            <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>
            > Build a page (letter size) using imported graphics (.jpgs) and then
            > using the
            > text tool to insert text, which I see each line is a separate layer.
            > This then
            > saved as a .png file which I assume I can print out, like a brochure.
            > Having
            > no problem grouping and ungrouping objects etc Printing though is a
            > challenge
            > as text appears blurry

Make sure your image has enough resolution. For continuous tone graphics,
            200 pixels per inch is a good choice; however, clear small fonts may
            require higher values, like 300 ppi.

--
            Ilya Razmanov
            http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
            • 3. Re: New to program...  general questions
              99.9kelowna Level 1
              Thank you Lynda and Hya:
              Could you please take a moment to explain antialiasing please?
              Also how do I control resolution choice?
              Looks like my theory was correct I require both programs (one for my web work and the other for my print jobs) would you agree???
              These are great programs just take a little time to get used to after so many years of Microsoft and Corel..
              • 4. Re: New to program...  general questions
                Level 7
                99.9kelowna wrote:
                > Thank you Lynda and Hya:
                > Could you please take a moment to explain antialiasing please?
                > Also how do I control resolution choice?
                > Looks like my theory was correct I require both programs (one for my web work
                > and the other for my print jobs) would you agree???
                > These are great programs just take a little time to get used to after so many
                > years of Microsoft and Corel..

Read the following article I wrote. It should give you a very good idea
                about what Fireworks is and is not:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/articles/why_fireworks.html

--
                Stéphane Bergeron
                reach : connect : communicate
                http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                http://www.pixelyzed.com
                • 5. Re: New to program...  general questions
                  Level 7
                  99.9kelowna wrote:
                  > Build a page (letter size) using imported graphics (.jpgs) and then
                  > using the text tool to insert text, which I see each line is a
                  > separate layer. This then saved as a .png file which I assume I can
                  > print out, like a brochure. Having no problem grouping and
                  > ungrouping objects etc Printing though is a challenge as text
                  > appears blurry I then thought must be because this program is for
                  > .jpg or other graphic manipulation only and so downloaded Macromedia
                  > PhotoShop. Recreated this page the same way and again the fonts
                  > appear blurred.

You should use a print oriented vector application like Illustrator or
                  FreeHand to do this. Photoshop is great at manipulating bitmap images
                  but is not a very good layout app. Fireworks was designed to create
                  screen graphics and not print jobs so it's not the best choice for that
                  either.

> Fonts are not obscure but typical Arial Times NR Tahoma etc. I have
                  > tried varied fonts to see if it helped but it did not. Now thinking I
                  > am the problem and I am doing something wrong with the program...
                  > Any ideas? Is Fireworks main purpose to cut and maniputlate
                  > pictures????

No. Fireworks' main purpose is to create Web page layouts and graphics
                  and exporting them. It is a vector based tool with some very
                  sophisticated bitmap editing tools which makes it a hybrid application
                  that does things that both Photoshop and Illustrator can do.

> Does a fantastic job of scaling my graphics for web but as to doing
                  > anything creative and fance well I am not there yet.

This is Fireworks' strength though. Just don't approach it like you
                  would Photoshop. They are very different types of applications.

> Would like to soften the edges of a round cutout for instance, have
                  > done this in other programs but can not seem to find a way to do it
                  > in fireworks.... Any assitance, comments and or help appreciated
                  > including links to free tutorials

Look at my other Devnet article below. It shows you how to use
                  non-destructive vector masks to make "cut outs" that do not delete any
                  pixels permanently and create edges that will antialias automatically to
                  any background color within Fireworks.

HTH!

--
                  Stéphane Bergeron
                  reach : connect : communicate
                  http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                  blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                  http://www.pixelyzed.com
                  • 6. Re: New to program...  general questions
                    Level 7
                    99.9kelowna wrote:
                    > Thank you Lynda and Hya:
                    > Could you please take a moment to explain antialiasing please?

Antialising blends the edges of the object, shape or text, into the
                    background color of the canvas.

When you open a new document window you have the opportunity to set its
                    resolution.

> Looks like my theory was correct I require both programs (one for my web work
                    > and the other for my print jobs) would you agree???

Yes.

--
                    Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                    http://www.projectseven.com
                    Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                    CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                    Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
                    • 7. Re: New to program...  general questions
                      Level 7
                      On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:33:57 +0300, 99.9kelowna
                      <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> Thank you Lynda and Hya

Looks like I'm becoming Chinese or something, lol.

Modufy - Canvas - Image Size. Actually, you'd better start with new image,
                      specifying appropriate resolution, and then work with it.

--
                      Ilya Razmanov
                      http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
                      • 8. Re: New to program...  general questions
                        Level 7
                        Ilya Razmanov wrote:
                        > On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:33:57 +0300, 99.9kelowna
                        > <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Thank you Lynda and Hya
                        >
                        > Looks like I'm becoming Chinese or something, lol.

:-)

Linda
                        -------
                        • 9. Re: New to program...  general questions
                          ageofem
                          I then thought must be because this program is for .jpg or other graphic manipulation only and so downloaded Macromedia PhotoShop. Recreated this page the same way and again the fonts appear blurred.
                          Fonts are not obscure but typical Arial Times NR Tahoma etc. I have tried varied fonts to see if it helped but it did not.
                          Now thinking I am the problem and I am doing something wrong with the program...
                          Any ideas? <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< try to increase the resolution of your image, the more the better, if it doesnt work, try exporting it as photoshop file, then it photoshop, u try to print it there. ( i've tried this technique often and it works, some requires to change the colors from RGB to CMYK but it aint much of a problem ).

Is Fireworks main purpose to cut and maniputlate pictures???? Does a fantastic job of scaling my graphics for web but as to doing anything creative and fance well I am not there yet <<<<<<<<< manipulating pics, well yes, fireworks has some bitmap tools to do the trick, its vector tools are also great for creating fantastic background effects..

visit here

www.bleuprint.co.nr

www.blue2x.deviantart.com