6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2015 3:27 PM by MegaMoments DVD

Lightroom 5 suddenly cannot read imported photos

MegaMoments DVD

I recently upgraded my Mac to El Capitan. I have no idea if this has created an issue with Lightroom. However, timing is suspicious. Lightroom 5 is no longer able to import photos from my Nikon. I must first import to Photos, then export to Desktop, then Import to Lightroom. RAW format is not being recognized. Import appears to begin, then after reviewing all photos on the card, returns an error message that reads something to the effect that Lightroom cannot read the file format.

I need assistance, please.

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5 suddenly cannot read imported photos
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi,

Could you please confirm the model of the camera?

If possible, share a screenshot of your Lightroom import window settings and the error so that we can assist you further.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5 suddenly cannot read imported photos
            MegaMoments DVD Level 1

I have taken screen shots, however, this venue does not allow jpg, pdf, png, tiff. I have pared the size down to well-accepted size, but I am receiving a message from this forum software that says the format and size are forbidden.

Allow me to describe in words:

I have a Nikon D7000 plugged into my iMac via USB cable. This has been successful until a few days ago.

1. Click Lightroom > Files > Import Photos and Video.

2. Import Source, Devices > D7000.

3. Destination (I have tested a new folder on the hard drive, as well as one on my Lightroom external drive; destination does not seem to matter.)

a. Folder

b. Don't import suspected duplicates.

4. Select all (I also tested selecting just one; it does not matter.)

5. Click Import.

6. Wait for import process to transpire (quite some time; about 4 minutes.)

7. Receive following message:

'Import Results' window

'Some import operations could not be performed.'

'The following files could not be imported because they could not be read.'

Then:

'No Smart Previews were built.'

Could this be an issue with El Capitan Mac OSX update?

Should I uninstall and reinstall Lightroom 5?

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5 suddenly cannot read imported photos
              Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Thank you for the detailed workflow steps.

It seems to be a permissions issue and Lightroom is unable to read the raw files.

Would suggest you to copy a few images from your card to desktop first via Finder (do not use Nikon Transfer)

and then, import them in Lightroom and let us know the outcome.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5 suddenly cannot read imported photos
                dj_paige Level 9

This error message can happen if the destination directory was accidentally changed. Could you check?

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5 suddenly cannot read imported photos
                  MegaMoments DVD Level 1

I updated permissions on the external drive that I always use. Still same results.

I took the card out of the camera, put it into the flash reader, inserted it into the iMac, dragged and dropped image files into Lightroom.

They are currently importing correctly.

I do not know the cause of the original problem, however, this is a doable workaround for now.

I appreciate your quick response and interest in helping.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 5 suddenly cannot read imported photos
                    MegaMoments DVD Level 1

Destination directory was not changed. It is the same directory I always use, but with a new folder name, as I always add a new folder with each import.

Please see my response to Chetna. I have a workaround, but still need to fix my original issue.

Let me know if you need further info and when you have additional ideas for me to try.

I appreciate your interest in helping and your quick response.